Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        R.I.P Prince Philip

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: R.I.P Prince Philip

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-09-2021 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Prince Philip passed away at Windsor Castle on 9 April 2021, aged 99.

The Queen's husband, a former naval officer, was married to Queen Elizabeth since 1947 and was father to their four children.

He didn't make 100.... Birthday was 10 June 1921 :tear: :tear:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-11-2021 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shame he didn't live long enough to receive a telegram from his wife

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-11-2021 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
He didn't make 100.... Birthday was 10 June 1921 :tear: :tear:

lmao shedding tears for a racist cunt who wouldn't think twice about pissing on you for a quid. Good riddance <3

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 12:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RIP

A life in service to his adopted country

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol... you guys... This is literally the death of a parasite. The monarchy is nothing more than a family who's living the good life on the backs of the average joe working his ass off to make ends meet. This entire charade of mourning the loss and making his death to be a moment of reverence and respect is literally part of the game they're playing. Like he matters more than any other person that died yesterday. The whole concept of those people living in castles being paid for by the taxpayer should be abolished. Let their deaths reverberate through the population the same way a local plumbers would.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 06:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Clearly you aren't British :smirk:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interestingly, it would appear that the UK's collective response has been "meh", followed by complaints to the Beeb because news of his death has detracted from more critical viewing, like weekly soaps.

Personally?
Yeah, fuck this old fossil. Massive cunt.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is he the one with the pedophile son?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 03:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting!

All these slurs on a dead man :smirk: and the bitterness held by some. I shake my head and expect a comeback :smirk:

I certainly am old school, bought up to never speak ill of the dead..

Quote:
"Never speak ill of the dead" meaning:
Show respect to people who have died by not saying anything bad about them. Since dead people can no longer hurt us, or defend themselves, it is better to forget their bad actions and remember only their good ones.
Note:
speak ill of (verb): criticize; speak badly about | the dead (noun): people who have died

Origin: This proverb has been traced back to Chilon of Sparta (6th century BC). The Latin version was "De mortuis nil nisi bonum" ("Of the dead say nothing but good").

Source

I guess, like arseholes everybody has an opinion and that's fine.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should we reserve only kind words for Hitler or Stalin, too? I'm not saying they're the same, but such an all-encompassing axiom surely has its limits....

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-12-2021 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Should we reserve only kind words for Hitler or Stalin, too? I'm not saying they're the same, but such an all-encompassing axiom surely has its limits....

It does for sure. Maybe I shed my bitterness cloak years ago :smirk:

Captain Mazda, you may have more intimate knowledge of the man but I knew precious little and shed tears because he didn't make the 100th birthday.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-13-2021 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't have intimate knowledge of any limp-wristed, saggy-tit monarchs beyond the accounts of their words and actions. Philip, like the rest of his ilk, was a colonizer shithead and a racist old cunt. The only shame is how long these turds get to live thanks to never working a day in their life while their own people drop dead from poverty.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-13-2021 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Interesting!

All these slurs on a dead man :smirk: and the bitterness held by some. I shake my head and expect a comeback :smirk:

I certainly am old school, bought up to never speak ill of the dead..

And I was brought up to never revere and respect dictators or colonizers. Are you gonna :tear: up when the 89-yr old cunt-king of Saudi Arabia dies before the century mark?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-13-2021 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously... their whole family is protecting a pedophile, all my good will, which wasn't much, vanished instantly. I have zero empathy for those people.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-13-2021 07:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
......... revere and respect dictators or colonizers..............

What? Seriously!
As I said, the :tear: were because he didn't make the 100th. Chill FFS!

:arrow: Κracus. I've heard very little re the pedophile case. What's the latest? Never mind, I'll Google.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah sorry we sleep on different schedules ;)

I'm talking about this guy, Prince Andrew.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 03:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah Prince Andrew has been big pals with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell (who courted young girls so Epstein could exploit them and is now in trial over that). Andrew is highly suspected to have made use of Epstein's "services".

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 04:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, at the end of the day, Prince Andrew and his ilk are just one big cesspool of deviant behavior among many in the royal family and those that aren't disappear like Princess Dianna. The image they project hide the grossness they likely live.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 11:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phil the Greek was a legend

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but according to experts on the life and works of Philip Philuppalottacolumninches he was also a "cunt" and a "fascist", and facts don't care about your feelings

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 06:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh. The man was nearly 100 years old; there are bound to be things he's said and done that look bad now that were acceptable when he did or said them.
I mean, there are discussions on podcasts around if Tropic Thunder could be made today...that is 11 or so years old.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aye, I'm no royalist not by a long shot, but I didn't mind P. Historically his life is very interesting.
Nobody is saying he's some sort of saint but DC is exactly right - if you can't take into account someone's actions and words over 99 years in light of their upbringing and historical context then well... we're all fucked then!

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My opinion doesn't stem from what he said historically. It's about how he lived his life in totality and how his death is drawn into a spectacle of reverence. What I mean by that is that he's lived a life in a gilded cage. He was born into royalty, lived a life of royalty and enjoyed a life that's most definitely not equal to the general population and his death is now made to be a spectacle which is just a method the royal family uses to continue living freely off the backs of the masses. It's just one big show, they're the consumers and you're the product. I personally don't like the idea of paying money for the royal family to simply exist in a life of luxury. To me, it's abhorrent and it's a cultural habit that needs to end and the whole song and dance surrounding is death is just perpetuating that concept.

To use an analogy, what if I stole 1$ from everyone every day for the rest of my life. The deal is you pay me this money, I live a life that's disgustingly lavish, my family gets to do whatever they want including having sex with minors and there's fuck all you can do about it.

Do I get to be applauded for the life I've lived when I die old because I got the best fucking medical care in the world? I feel like our moral compasses are solidly in different directions.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a position of privilege to be sure, crazy and unwarranted, and a product of the whole European royal "tradition" going back hundreds of years. It is what it is, I'm only interested in this historically and certainly not plugged into any morality over it.
It's a piece of our history that still exists today, it hasn't run it's course yet and the only reason more major change hasn't come to the UK monarchy in my opinion is the longevity of Elizabeth and Philip. Once her maj pops her clogs a huge part of the symbol of "enduring" monarchy is gone from the UK and who knows what's going to happen really... the other royals don't have (and won't get) the same kind of symbolic buy-in that HRH Liz has from being so longlasting.

My opinion on Prince Philips life and death doesn't really have anything to do with the rest of the nuances of british monarchy or its family finances or dramas.

I'm pissed they bumped the Masterchef final and took over the radio for days...
Also this will probably get political spin in some way by the tories, which will be a pain in the neck no doubt.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-16-2021 02:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

should clarify that i'm a lifelong republican

it's just weird hearing people personalise their dislike of royalty and centring it on one dead duke

don't hate the player, hate the game :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.