Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Newest versions of Audacity may collect data

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Newest versions of Audacity may collect data

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-06-2021 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The policy update

BBC article

Reddit post on the issue

Take from it what you want.
I'll not install anything newer than 3.0.2. anymore. Audacity does not auto-update so you're fine with the older versions or, in the future, forks that will be made from the source.

It may give dictatorships and every other (ruthless) gouvernment a way to spy on press, dissidents, whistleblowers or just the opposition.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-06-2021 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On topic of collecting data, I just ask, where you live, do you need scan a QR Code when visiting a business, cafe, hardware even the Dentist? Government ask we do. This to aid 'contact tracers'. You must have similar I guess.

Here we have been lucky in the low number of Covid cases. We are wearing masks again in public and limiting gatherings etc but sadly every state/territory has different ideas, for example, greater Sydney is still in lock-down, essential movement only. Stupid thing is, people on one side of a suburban street are in lock-down while across a strip of bitumen/asphalt they are free to go about as they please. One has to wonder but there will always be a 'line in the sand' I suppose :smirk:

I ask here on topic, our 'smart phones' and location history (if on), scary stuff when you think of it. I bring it up because on the TV news in recent days, they have posted 'hot spot' locations and times within minutes to alert other visitors of the possibility of infection. They go as far as to say, if you were at a certain cafe between 10am and 10.30am you need self isolate* (14 days) or until you return a negative Covid test.

* only go to and from a Covid test

Personally, I don't worry too much on the collection of data. ( Checks browser history :D )How about you?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-06-2021 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah fuck that shit. The interwebs have done wonders for authoritarian governments. :down:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-09-2021 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, that escalated quickly.

Audacity is a free good offline!!! audio-editor-software. It's really old hence it is widely used.
It has always been open source. Not anymore. The company that bought it now collects data for selling-usage and it states that it will give it to authorities if asked for.

This has nothing to do with Covid-tracing. I think that's what you are describing Whiskey?
Yes, in Germany we also have to scan a QR code or register manually in written form when entering a gastronomy but I can absolutely understand that. Only that way you could later be warned and made stay quarantined if an "outbreak" happened in that locale.

Two completely different shoes here, imo.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.