Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        How fucked are we?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How fucked are we?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 08:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They’ve talked about the +2 degrees for decades and how it would be a world destroyer. Well now they’re saying we’ll be at +1.5 within 5 years…

https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-we ... crease-mk/

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We have record heat waves, record cold fronts, constant fires in the western US, floods all in Europe. Maybe, just MAYBE the predictions are correct?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 09:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Multiple heat waves in the Northern Hemisphere as each area sees record temps…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... emisphere/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 10:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
We have record heat waves, record cold fronts, constant fires in the western US, floods all in Europe. Maybe, just MAYBE the predictions are correct?

I don’t think there is any more doubt the climate is changing. Where the doubt still falls (at least with the morons) is the cause for the change. The uneducated still claim the change is due to natural climate cycles. Which is true, the earth does run through cycles. But not this quickly. The speed of the cycle is being increased or all together altered due to us, the smart apes…

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Turning the atmosphere darker or denser (burning coal or emitting CO2) just isn't a good thing.
This has been said since the 90s, at least.

I think we are totally fucked.
Even if the "western" world now starts turning in different directions there still are emerging subcontinents like India or China now with a massive population that add into it.
And we Westerners are not able to tell them how to handle their growth. And we should not. We already burned our forrests and did shitty things. We are in no position to tell others how to behave imo.

Yeah, we are fucked.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
raw wrote:

I don’t think there is any more doubt the climate is changing. Where the doubt still falls (at least with the morons) is the cause for the change. The uneducated still claim the change is due to natural climate cycles. Which is true, the earth does run through cycles. But not this quickly. The speed of the cycle is being increased or all together altered due to us, the smart apes…

I'd argue that it's not just morons. There are several large companies that are working towards discrediting climate change for profits. The morons just swallow down the propaganda without canvassing their own landscape.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Turning the atmosphere darker or denser (burning coal or emitting CO2) just isn't a good thing.
This has been said since the 90s, at least.

I think we are totally fucked.
Even if the "western" world now starts turning in different directions there still are emerging subcontinents like India or China now with a massive population that add into it.
And we Westerners are not able to tell them how to handle their growth. And we should not. We already burned our forrests and did shitty things. We are in no position to tell others how to behave imo.

Yeah, we are fucked.

My thoughts exactly :tear:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 05:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The scientific community has always been conservative in their projections on when we were going to hit the tipping point in temperatures. They were afraid of causing too much alarm or getting pushback because it seemed so unlikely to happen. So now that it's coming sooner than expected, we're caught even more flat-footed than before. It was a bad approach; the scientific community has always been shit at messaging. This comes as no surprise to me.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-21-2021 10:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It snowed last winter, idk what to tell you :shrug:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 01:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
raw wrote:

yeah basically this. those idiots who talk about how it was hotter during X period fail to grasp that it got hotter over tens or hundreds of thousands of year (if not millions), not a single century, and those long timescales allowed time for adaptation to occur

that said, there have been some tactical errors made by environmentalist that haven't helped. associating the cause of saving the planet with a left-wing political programme has alienated a lot of people and made it a lot easier for the corporate media to reinforce people's hostility to climate action through misinformation and general bullshit. even if you happen to think that some kind of left-wing programme is necessary to address the issue (and i'm not convinced about that), it's just bad optics to associate the two things in people's minds. it's an issue that should transcend political tribalism. the planet doesn't care about your feelings, as Ben Shapiro and Greta Thunberg's illegitimate love child might say :dts:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 01:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
We already burned our forests...

actually we cut them down during the Bronze Age in order to try out this new food tech from Mesopotamia called farming. only gimps burn down forests

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
associating the cause of saving the planet with a left-wing political programme has alienated a lot of people

Was that a consciously done thing or is that just how things naturally flow? I mean, the action required to combat climate change are generally things that will initially require a lot of legislation, cost money (corporations first and foremost so) and don't have any easy to understand short-term (monetary) gains. That's something that typically doesn't sit well with conservatives. I get the idea that it's actually the right-wing oriented and conservatives that turned this into a left-wing thing. They don't support it, so it must be a radical left wing thing.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
that said, there have been some tactical errors made by environmentalist that haven't helped. associating the cause of saving the planet with a left-wing political programme has alienated a lot of people and made it a lot easier for the corporate media to reinforce people's hostility to climate action through misinformation and general bullshit. even if you happen to think that some kind of left-wing programme is necessary to address the issue (and i'm not convinced about that), it's just bad optics to associate the two things in people's minds. it's an issue that should transcend political tribalism. the planet doesn't care about your feelings, as Ben Shapiro and Greta Thunberg's illegitimate love child might say :dts:

Very well said, yep, very well said.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
actually we cut them down during the Bronze Age in order to try out this new food tech from Mesopotamia called farming. only gimps burn down forests

And we put the wood into smelters or forges to gain bronze and later steel. We kept doing the same thing for hundreds of years. And then during the last century we substituted live wood through rotten wood (and stuff), as in coal or oil.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 02:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:
associating the cause of saving the planet with a left-wing political programme has alienated a lot of people

Was that a consciously done thing or is that just how things naturally flow? I mean, the action required to combat climate change are generally things that will initially require a lot of legislation, cost money (corporations first and foremost so) and don't have any easy to understand short-term (monetary) gains. That's something that typically doesn't sit well with conservatives. I get the idea that it's actually the right-wing oriented and conservatives that turned this into a left-wing thing. They don't support it, so it must be a radical left wing thing.

May we call it Progressive politics?
Yeah, doesn't sit well with conservatism.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 02:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We are fucked - this is a legit truth

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't forget that big oil has spent more than our lifetime salaries combined hiding their negative impact on the environment.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A lot of people shrug off a one degree temperature change as irrelevant or not severe enough to address. The scientific messaging out there fails to remind people that the difference between ice and water is one degree.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ironically I've just had an invitation for a job-meet-up at the BMW World
I am unemployed at the moment seeking a job.
I am a multi-media-technician type of guy and as it seems I would be a perfect match for a company that is lending personnnel to places that are in need of those.
I don't have problems with working for a lending-company but I realized during the last hours that I might have problems with the actual workplace.

I voted green all my life.

I won't starve if I decline yet working there could benefit my knowledge.
It is a dilemma really.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-22-2021 06:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good luck with the interview then worry about any dilemma.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-23-2021 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
A lot of people shrug off a one degree temperature change as irrelevant or not severe enough to address. The scientific messaging out there fails to remind people that the difference between ice and water is one degree.

it's also the different between being college-educated and not college-educated :smirk:

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 07-23-2021 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I think we're well and beyond fucked at this point :(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-23-2021 02:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So what’s the future realistically look like? Mass exodus from drought stricken areas and coastal flooded cities? War over water? Hunger and starvation? Complete collapse of society? Fallout 5?

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-23-2021 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
So what’s the future realistically look like? Mass exodus from drought stricken areas and coastal flooded cities? War over water? Hunger and starvation? Complete collapse of society? Fallout 5?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and no, because that won't be out until far after society collapses.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-23-2021 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That'll get played on the BoulderStation 2 using Rocktrollers.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-28-2021 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Mass exodus from drought stricken areas (...)?

This is already happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_migrant_crisis

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-28-2021 07:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But is it due to extreme heat or other climate related issues? Looks like this is more due to armed conflict in their respective homelands…

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-28-2021 01:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Think you’ll find that’s thanks to the US fucking up the ME.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-28-2021 06:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-28-2021 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm saving up for a ticket to Elysium. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-29-2021 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

1. Yea, that reminds me to watch the movie again :up:

2. :arrow: Ferrao10, how's the new job :D

3. Re: How fucked are we? Covid! I said to a mate the other day, where did 2020 go, adding, 2021 will be the same :smirk: as these 'Covid years' are a crazy mindless blurrrr....

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-31-2021 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Think you’ll find that’s thanks to the US fucking up the ME.

this

how about we come over there and start bombing Juarez then we'll see who's laughing eh americoids

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2021 10:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Transient wrote:

1. Yea, that reminds me to watch the movie again :up:

2. :arrow: Ferrao10, how's the new job :D

3. Re: How fucked are we? Covid! I said to a mate the other day, where did 2020 go, adding, 2021 will be the same :smirk: as these 'Covid years' are a crazy mindless blurrrr....

1. That movie was shite.

2. I got the job which wasn't quite sure till the day before yesterday. But now that I'm in I'll go full berserk on that job, like reading manuals in advance and stuff like that. I like to be theoretically prepared for new situations.

3. I'm kinda torn on NZ's and AUS's covid-politics. The zero-tolerance politics they go. On the one hand it is something that you have to admire as someone outside of those systems. On the other hand you just look at it thinking "you shut down a whole province because of 20 infections overall?" Very different metrics.
But I salute the Kiwis and the Aussies for doing so. Your geographical and political position allows for such drastic measures, why not go all the way.
And yes, these years are really just a blurr indeed.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-31-2021 01:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We just entered a 3 day hard lock-down because of an outbreak of the delta variant in south east Queensland.

During the lock-down, people of 11 local government areas will only be able to leave their homes for the following reasons:

• To obtain essential goods, including health care, within 10km of your home
• For essential work, school, or childcare
• To exercise, with members of your household or one person from outside your household, within 10km of your home
• To care for a vulnerable person
• For a COVID-19 vaccination or test

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2021 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see.
Well, pretty much the same measures that most of europe's countries took on the height of their respective outbreak/s.
Your gouvernment takes it two steps further: the 10 kilometer-radius and the much! lower amount of new infections per capita needed to call for such measures.
I can understand why someone would be upset with these measures. But you don't want to get into early Italian or US/Brazil circumstances.
Anyways, this is a thread about climate-change.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.