Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Forums redesign?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Forums redesign?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

These forums really would benefit from a redesign. First of all, I can't even log out from index page, I have to click a forum and log out from there. Portal page (for some reason the default redirect from root) doesn't contain "Log In" button, only username and password fields, and that login form doesn't even work, and you can't log out from there, eighter. I don't say that the design is bad, but you can definitely see its age and the fact that basic functionality is somewhat broken, and that is for years, that's another reason to start thinking about revamping the forum design.

What do you think? Should the forum design be revamped? I think that it would really be better, especially on eyes.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First World Czech youngster problems much?
This is a place for old fucks man. Get used to it :).
Seriously though, keep it as is please. I come back time and again exactly because of the charm.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 12:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read again what I said. I don't say that the design is bad, and I agree it has its charm. But you can feel the age.

Okay, I guess the design itself isn't actually much necessary to be revamped entirely, but at least fix the bugs I stated. I can't log out from index page, not from portal page, and that is beause there is an appropriate button for it missing. That doesn't mean I can't just manually type in the URL for logging out from anywhere, but who has it memorized? Clicking a forum just to be able to log out is dumb.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My 2 cents.

It has charm and in my opinion, charm and age fit well together. I would agree you can feel the age, so for my money, fix any bugs by all means as the basic framework/design of Q3W is nice to see.

I would dearly like to 'see' other forums of this era to compare so if you have a favourite besides Q3W, post a link please :)

If you want to see an old web page, my personal home page for years, clicky.
I took it down sometime ago and now still viewable via The Way Back Machine AKA The Internet Archive

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 05:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Admins have been working on a redesign for years. Be patient it will be completed soon.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 10:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 10:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Login form on portal page works fine for me, not sure what you're going on about.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 10:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh wait I see the issue
I'll get right on it after I've tested your shader editor.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-04-2022 10:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Oh wait I see the issue
I'll get right on it after I've tested your shader editor.

Haha, funny. I wasn't talking about login, I was talking about logout.

Last edited by CZghost on 05-09-2022 12:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-05-2022 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everyone who doesn't want a redesign should vote in favor of Czghost doing the redesign.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-06-2022 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Funny. So funny I forgot to laugh actually.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-06-2022 01:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure the forum's been redesigned as a discord server

not sure tho

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 05-06-2022 10:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll settle for mobile friendly....

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-06-2022 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What would you like to see differently, mobile wise

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-07-2022 02:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have you seen how the forum looks on mobile phone screen? You have to zoom in in order to be able to even see anything.

oh yeah!
oh yeah!
PostPosted: 05-07-2022 02:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Main issue is clicking on links. The full site is simply shrunken down to fit the screen on mobile and zooming in is required.

A good mobile view can be seen at cnn.com and foxnews.com. The sites are legible & clickable on both mobile and traditional desktops; no need to ever zoom.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-08-2022 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
Have you seen how the forum looks on mobile phone screen? You have to zoom in in order to be able to even see anything.

I use the site exclusively on mobile, so yes.
I don't need to zoom ever* so not sure whats the deal, but I can up the font size a bit.

* on reading topics.

Two biggest issues is that 1 the code is a million years old and not as easily converted to mobile friendly views, and 2 last time I made changes to make it more mobile friendly we had users complaining and installing browser plugins to undo them because oh no change.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-08-2022 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yyyeeaahhh, I wouldn't bother

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-09-2022 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's like Ron Swanson once said: "making changes to Q3W is like giving food to a mortally wounded animal instead of slaughtering it and utilising its meat and pelt"

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-22-2022 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It would be ok improving the functional and technical part, if theme redesign doesn't matter (I don't care changing theme).

In The Void section, all user post counts should be counted. Each time, an user posts there, the counts doesn't sum.

I found some PHP log debugs when using Search. Is the forum source code opensource?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-22-2022 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My dude, this forum is 23 years old.

Also, postcounts deliberately don't increase in The Void. It's by design.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-23-2022 11:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
it's like Ron Swanson once said: "making changes to Q3W is like giving food to a mortally wounded animal instead of slaughtering it and utilising its meat and pelt"

Ron <3

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-27-2022 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too bad, postcounts in Void can't be increased.

In the other hand, it would be ok to maintain the quality and maintenance if it's keeping. Any updates can be needed, also the deprecation can lead to consequences.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-27-2022 10:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What type of consequences?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-27-2022 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the type that'll never be the same again, i'll wager

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-27-2022 11:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Unforeseen consequences

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 04:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Unforeseen consequences

I can't be bothered right now.

They're waiting for you. In the test chamberrr.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 04:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With my brains and your brawn we'll make an excellent team!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 01:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I seem to be seriously wounded.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 03:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AAGH UUUGH NOOO NOOO AGHHH

[giant beak asparagus monster intensifies]

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-02-2022 04:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

If it isn't well maintained and updated, doesn't guarantee the stability. Also, probably the server can fall.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-06-2022 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never change a running system.

If you want to play around with software, there's more interesting projects out there.

Q3W seems to have worked just fine for the last 10 years.

Why do anything about it now?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-06-2022 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A relic like some of us :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-07-2022 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

I hope you're speaking for yourself !

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-07-2022 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

glossy wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

I hope you're speaking for yourself !

Raises hand answering yes but then I see you visit after 5 years absence and in another thread, moving AU to USA :rolleyes:
By 'relic' I was trying to infer endearment and yes perhaps historical interest.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.