Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        We're living in the fucking future

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: We're living in the fucking future

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-29-2022 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Over the last decade I keep seeing these crazy videos of technological advancements that almost look unreal, and it's happening at an insane pace. Watching two SpaceX rocket boosters flip over and land on pads next to each other, and then Starship belly flopping and landing intact, was some next-level futuristic shit.

I saw a few more today and rather than just dump them in Discord, I figured we can all post our favorite videos that make you go "holy shit".

Remember the Jet Suit? Well now it's being used by paramedics and the military. It looks fucking nuts.

Here's another one. Acoustic resonance used for contactless fabrication. This is the type of shit we need if we want to mine asteroids and build shit in space.

Fucking magic.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-29-2022 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your mention of SpaceX had me catching up on the history. This is amazing stuff and these Raptor engines, something else.Landing Starships too, something else.

SpaceX History timeline

What I do find just mind-blowing is this little story. Travelling on the road home, friends in our car spoke of a chap who climbs chimneys, strapping ladders on as he ascends. Blow me away :paranoid: We get home and fire up the desktop PC and go to YouTube for some recipe ideas and this appears :paranoid: :paranoid: as suggested watching.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 03:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fred Dibnah was a kind of household staple in Britain in the nineties. Odd little steeple climbing man that he was. Kinda fit in the with 'Last of the Summer Wine' aesthetic of 8pm analogue TV at the time.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 09:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
This is the type of shit we need if we want to mine asteroids and build shit in space.

I'm not sure how this would help if sound cannot actually travel in vacuum (which space is). There would be literally no way to utilize this technology in a completely empty and particle-free space (in other words you need air or other type of gas to utilize this technology). Contactless fabrication using sound in space, that seems more like science fantasy.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 06-30-2022 11:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was thinking of refining inside a pressurized volume, like a big factory in space, with workers and whatnot. It could be tested in the ISS. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting thoughts, vacuum and pressured environments in space. I imagine autonomous robots working away merrily....

A Dyson Sphere came to mind :question: obviously in a much smaller scale. A giant pressurized sphere is a winner but I think it is beyond current tech for (guesses) 50 to 100 years. New rocketry technology is great but there's a lot of material required to get to something like this to the Lagrange Points. Dreams :cool:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol that jet suit is wild. looks so effortless too

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
lol that jet suit is wild. looks so effortless too

Yet I wonder, if the 'pilot' hits the water, would it be like a bee stuck in honey? I mean to say, unable to escape the surface tension thing.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-01-2022 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well I don't know that the engines would still work after getting submerged, but it looks like the pilot can pull his hands out of the rig pretty easily. Not sure about the backpack, though.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.