Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        JWST images

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: JWST images

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-11-2022 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The first photo from the James Webb Space Telescope came a day early, here it is:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjk8ep/ ... -telescope

More to come tomorrow. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-11-2022 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was waiting for this, mentioned in Discord. Thank you Transient :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-11-2022 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's space as JJ Abrams imagined it: lens flares everywhere.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 12:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At least it doesn't look like space as imagined by Michael Bay. I would prefer my aliens to be docile and friendly, TYVM.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 01:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's mega

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 02:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

So this is the same spot, the same rotation, the same setup from two different telescopes? The first one is Hubble's telescope, and the second one is Webb's? We couldn't see that far before, this is definitely an improvement.

On a lighter note, people are speculating whether the telescope is going to see life elsewhere in the universe. The answer is probably, but the image is going to be rather outdated. Given that these stars and galaxies are millions of light years away, we won't see how these galaxies look like today. For all we know, they could be long gone now and all we see is a million years old light that finally got to us and therefore we only see a lingering picture of a past long gone.

EDIT: Just for clarification, our very own Sun is 8 light minutes away from us. I could use a regular metric unit that's usually used when talking about distance of Sun from Earth, but I wanted to emphasize that it actually takes full 8 minutes for light from Sun to reach Earth (bear in mind that light travels approximately 300 km/s, which is 18000 km/min, and it takes 8 minutes for the light from Sun to reach Earth, so that's 18K * 8, that's 144000 km, that's 89477.45 miles - yes I used Google to get exact result). So if Sun suddenly vanished now, we would know that 8 minutes later. And that's the closest star to Earth, so there you can see the scale.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 04:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

somewhere out there an alien species is looking up at the same thing and thinking "praise great god Zyxylyx for making all this just for us"

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
EDIT: Just for clarification, our very own Sun is 8 light minutes away from us. I could use a regular metric unit that's usually used when talking about distance of Sun from Earth, but I wanted to emphasize that it actually takes full 8 minutes for light from Sun to reach Earth (bear in mind that light travels approximately 300 km/s, which is 18000 km/min, and it takes 8 minutes for the light from Sun to reach Earth, so that's 18K * 8, that's 144000 km, that's 89477.45 miles - yes I used Google to get exact result). So if Sun suddenly vanished now, we would know that 8 minutes later. And that's the closest star to Earth, so there you can see the scale.

It's even trippier than that; only the light from the surface of the Sun takes 8 mintues to reach us. The photons generated in the center of the Sun get bounced around in random directions so much that it takes around a million years for them to get to the outer layer and then get ejected out toward us to see. :cool:

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The images they've released are incredible.

Regarding that first picture: Webb’s image covers a patch of sky approximately the size of a grain of sand held at arm’s length by someone on the ground – and reveals thousands of galaxies in a tiny sliver of vast universe.

Mind blown.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mind blown for sure.
I am roused by the indication, there are indeed more galaxies in the sky than grains of sand on Earth.

Check out the NASA page on the “Stephan’s Quintet” picture.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I resized 3 of the JWST images into 4k desktops (3840x2160) for my own convenience, figured I'd share them here in case anyone wants 'em.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are some more:

The last one took some color correction on my part to bring into focus something I think NASA may have missed. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I resized 3 of the JWST images into 4k desktops (3840x2160) for my own convenience, figured I'd share them here in case anyone wants 'em.

Cheers bruv

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Here are some more:

The last one took some color correction on my part to bring into focus something I think NASA may have missed. :up:

:olo: :olo: :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 09:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn :olo:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 09:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Here are some more:

The cosmic butthole. :olo:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 11:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
It's even trippier than that; only the light from the surface of the Sun takes 8 mintues to reach us. The photons generated in the center of the Sun get bounced around in random directions so much that it takes around a million years for them to get to the outer layer and then get ejected out toward us to see. :cool:

So in theory if the very last photon was generated right now, we would know after a million years? That's cool! :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

:olo: :olo: :olo:
Bravo

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 03:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As impressive as those images are what's more impressive is that Transient probably used a reference to draw that. The wedding ring is a nice touch.

What blows my mind though is that the butthole galaxy image you can see the outlines of an entire galaxy in front of it. O_O

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was willing to take one for the team to bring the lulz. :up:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:

Think you got your numbers a little off. It's 300,000 km/s and 18,000,000 km/min. 144,000,000 km or 89,477,451 miles. Just forgot a few digits.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
CZghost wrote:

Think you got your numbers a little off. It's 300,000 km/s and 18,000,000 km/min. 144,000,000 km or 89,477,451 miles. Just forgot a few digits.

This is America. It's right around 186,300 miles/second.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 08:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi tnf!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-13-2022 09:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:

Oh yeah, right.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Here are some more:

:olo: :olo: :olo: :olo: WINNAR!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 04:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:

I'm pretty sure about half of this forum lives in UK (which is in Europe), about 35% lives in US, and the rest are non-English speaking countries (like mine). About 99% of the world uses metric system, only 3 countries on the world still stick to Imperial. That is USA, Myanmar and Liberia (totally didn't look that up). Myanmar and Liberia has been using metric system in parallel of the imerial one for quite a bit of time now, and they're in the process of conversion to metric system, which will leave USA the only country in the world to use imperial system. Luckily, some folks over in US start to find metric system useful and much easier to use than imperial, especially in measurements. Because metric system makes unit conversions easier with the use of decimal number system, people have an immediate idea of how long a kilometer actually is. Measurements are so much easier in metric system.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 04:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, and speaking of NASA - they also use metric system, despite being American institute. Isn't that funny?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 04:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hook, line and sinker

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
tnf wrote:

I'm pretty sure about half of this forum lives in UK (which is in Europe), about 35% lives in US, and the rest are non-English speaking countries (like mine). About 99% of the world uses metric system, only 3 countries on the world still stick to Imperial. That is USA, Myanmar and Liberia (totally didn't look that up). Myanmar and Liberia has been using metric system in parallel of the imerial one for quite a bit of time now, and they're in the process of conversion to metric system, which will leave USA the only country in the world to use imperial system. Luckily, some folks over in US start to find metric system useful and much easier to use than imperial, especially in measurements. Because metric system makes unit conversions easier with the use of decimal number system, people have an immediate idea of how long a kilometer actually is. Measurements are so much easier in metric system.

I'm pretty sure tnf was being facetious. ;)

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's this 'metric system' you speak of?

When I was doing research I routinely mixed up concentrations of various biological solutions at 1 x 10-30 pounds per microgallon.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Hi tnf!

Hey Transient!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Hi tnf!

Hi tnf. You been good?

... and speaking of metric vs imperial..

CZghost wrote:
Oh, and speaking of NASA - they also use metric system, despite being American institute. Isn't that funny?

Weird maybe but here in Australia :D we are 'metric' and decimal (currency) even tides are now measured in metres but weirdly news, particularly weather reporters, report waves heights on the beaches and for the surfing fraternity in feet!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-14-2022 09:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not everything is measured in metric system. For example, here in Czechia, we're mostly using metric system, but plumbing is measured in imperial system (especially sizes). It's a kind of standard to be honest. Imperial system is actually worked externally into the SI metric system via conversion formulas, so it is possible to convert between miles and kilometers for example.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.