Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        JWST images

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: JWST images

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-15-2022 02:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-15-2022 04:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna watch this when I'm home. :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-15-2022 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh my god, I tried it, and didn't work. Turns out BBC is fairly thoughtful of this and blocks VPN access:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/ques ... uk-message

This is my VPN settings. This server is optimized for video streaming.

So unless you set up your own VPN service somewhere on Amazon or Google or Digital Ocean servers (while specifically selecting servers inside UK), you're not going to be able to visit BBC's sites. And I doubt that using Tor would help you, I'm sure BBC was thoughtful of that as well. You could theoretically use Tor in Bridged mode (which will specifically select servers that are not publicly listed), but it's still a little bit of lottery to find an exit node that is situated inside UK and you may end up rerouting Tor circuit couple of times. And even if you happen to find one, it's still not entirely optimal for video streaming, you may end up buffering a lot or watch garbage quality low resolution video. Not worth it I guess.

EDIT: I should have translated the name of the place, which is Wonderland. For some reason some places names are translated to Czech.

Last edited by CZghost on 08-02-2022 09:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-02-2022 07:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New image out today from NASA of the cartwheel galaxy, which is about 500MLY away. Best spot to see various resolution images and the write-up from NASA is here:

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/medi ... 2RNSQWTCTH

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-02-2022 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Every time I see a new picture from that telescope I feel just a little bit of existential dread. Just look at all those fucking galaxies all over the place!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-03-2022 12:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Every time I see a new picture from that telescope I feel just a little bit of existential dread. Just look at all those fucking galaxies all over the place!

BUT WE ARE SPECIAL AND THERE IS NO LIFE ANYWHERE ELSE

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-03-2022 12:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Transient wrote:

BUT WE ARE SPECIAL AND THERE IS NO LIFE ANYWHERE ELSE

I highly doubt that we're the only living creatures in the entire universe. However given how far galaxies and solar systems are from each other, we're experiencing something called "Fermi Paradox", which basically means that while it is statistically impossible for us to be alone in the entire universe, it's also impossible for us to see extraterrestrial life forms as they're so far away that they're unreachable for us. Light coming from these far galaxies are millions of years old, for what we know, these galaxies may no longer exist or may look entirely differently from what we perceive. Some galaxies could be swallowed by their own black holes, some could be merged into other galaxies, some could simply be dissolved. We don't know a shit what's out there.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 09:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh rly I had no clue.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I highly doubt that we're the only living creatures in the entire universe. However given how far galaxies and solar systems are from each other, we're experiencing something called "Fermi Paradox", which basically means that while it is statistically impossible for us to be alone in the entire universe, it's also impossible for us to see extraterrestrial life forms as they're so far away that they're unreachable for us. Light coming from these far galaxies are millions of years old, for what we know, these galaxies may no longer exist or may look entirely differently from what we perceive. Some galaxies could be swallowed by their own black holes, some could be merged into other galaxies, some could simply be dissolved. We don't know a shit what's out there.

That's an impressive theory you came up with. Btw have you met fellow astrophysicist Kracus?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-10-2022 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf wrote:
This is America. It's right around 186,300 miles/second.

:olo: I was being polite for the metric majority.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-11-2022 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Oh rly I had no clue.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-06-2022 07:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More new stuff from NASA today - Tarantula Nebula

https://webbtelescope.org/contents/news ... s-2022-041

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-06-2022 01:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stunning.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-06-2022 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... and those specks in that minute field of view are stars. Mind bending :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 03:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In a moment, I thought the images were done by talented artists drawing realistic galaxies.

But if these are real, it's spectacular and marvelous.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kinda. These are real pictures of the galaxies, but what you see isn't actually how these galaxies look like. This is what's called a fake colour. The thing is the image is still taken by a digital image camera sensor and not altered in any way. Only difference is that the red, green and blue channels do not correspond to the red, green and blue light wavelengths, what you see is 3 separate infrared wavelengths that have been assigned to red, green and blue channels, so this telescope effectively shifts 3 different infrared wavelengths into visible light. But apart from that, galaxies do actually look somewhat similar to this, because stars in these galaxies emit lights of various wavelengths, it's just you'd probably see those galaxies quite differently with naked eye. Why does Webb's telescope create fake colour images? Because of red shift dilation. Galaxies far away are getting even further away, which in turn creates light distortion and wavelenght of the light that travels to us dilates. This is therefore done to make further galaxies more visible. The same thing was done also by Hubble's telescope (which has been replaced with Webb's telescope), just with different wavelengths. Hubble's telescope didn't see nearly as far as Webb's telescope. Webb's telescope can see almost at the edge of the universe, the furthest it can see is just couple millions of light years away from the theoretical maximum distance the light could get to us (which is equivalent to the distance light would have to travel from the estimated beginning of our universe). So this is a huge leap into the future (or should I say into the past, because the further we see, the further in past we look?).

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 05:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Actually, my understanding is that most of the specks are galaxies, not stars…

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 07:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's actually pretty mind blowing. I was at a backyard party the other night and had my telescope setup to view Jupiter, you could barely see orange stripes going across the planet but people were losing their minds cause you could make out Jupiter and its moons. Imagine seeing something like what webb is capturing. Can't wait for them to detect oxygen on some alient planet or galaxy though.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-09-2022 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They've already done that, and it's CO2 that's important. Not Oxygen.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-09-2022 03:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Have they? I did not know, I thought they had found CO2... Maybe I'm confusing the two.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-09-2022 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-09-2022 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Actually, my understanding is that most of the specks are galaxies, not stars…

and yes, you're right thinking about it, but my mind was bent contemplating. In my defense, I did say 'mind bending' :eek:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-11-2022 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

my mind was already bent so seeing this actually straightened it

thanks!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-11-2022 08:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

James Webb Telescope FINALLY Proves The Big Bang Theory Is Wrong!

EDIT:
Came back reading and find
Video unavailable - This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Brian McManus

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 11-20-2022 09:43 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-12-2022 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That video is nonsense, Whiskey, don't fall for that pseudoscience bullshit. It's based on an unscientific article taking an astrophysicist out of context, written by a Big Bang Theory denier who's been at it since the 80's.

https://www.space.com/james-webb-space- ... nce-denial

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.