Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Happy Birthday Transient

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Happy Birthday Transient

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-12-2022 01:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Congratulations to: Transient (39)

Best wishes on your birthday :)

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-12-2022 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm spending the weekend putting together my new gaming PC, now that all the pieces have finally arrived. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-12-2022 06:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice present and you will have to post the rig specs of course for the record :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-12-2022 10:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good stuff. You'll finally be able to play Quake 3 with us :up:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Happy birthday man!!

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 09:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hbd Trans! Whatcha gonna play first on it?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, happy birthday. :)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Thanks! I'm spending the weekend putting together my new gaming PC, now that all the pieces have finally arrived. :up:

HBD brometheus and respect++ from a fellow sound card enthusiast <3

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 04:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I got about this far before I got distracted with yard work. Turns out I need to get an internal USB hub because of all the lighting, there aren't enough ports on the motherboard. Not sure how the AIO radiator is going to behave, I swapped out the NZXT fans it came with for some Lian Li fans that have different connectors.

It's been like 20 years since I built my last PC myself, so everything's a bit foggy and unfamiliar. Radiators weren't a thing last time I built a PC. I'm still too paranoid to liquid cool a build, even though it looks a little more user friendly than it used to be. These radiators look like a good compromise between fan-cooled CPUs and liquid cooling. And this NVMe stuff; how are these hard drives so tiny yet hold so much data? Makes no sense. I guess calling them 'hard drives' is a bit inaccurate, too.... :paranoid:

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Nice present and you will have to post the rig specs of course for the record :D

Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor
NZXT Kraken X73 RGB 52.44 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI MPG Z690 FORCE WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
ADATA XPG SPECTRIX S40G RGB 4 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB TUF GAMING OC Video Card
Phanteks AMP Series 1000W 80+ Gold White Edition Modular ATX Power Supply
Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO ATX Mid Tower Case
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM 64-bit
Creative Labs Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus Sound Card
Lian Li Uni Fan SL-Infinity 61.3 CFM 120 mm Fans (10 total)

It was a little over $3k after discounts and tax. I figured I'd indulge myself since it's been so long since my last gaming PC, plus I just sold a house. I'll be getting a 40xx card once they come out, then sell the 3070 Ti to by brother for his gaming rig that he's going to have me build.

Foo wrote:
hbd Trans! Whatcha gonna play first on it?

Probably Cyberpunk 3077, followed shortly thereafter by Control. I never got past the prologue of RDR2 before getting distracted by other games, so that's also on my short list along with FF7 Remake and Forza Horizon 5. I'm willing to take suggestions for any other graphically-intensive games that are worth playing. The more ray tracing, the better. :owned: :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're just SSDs :) m.2 is a form factor whereas NVME is an interface like SATA, but faster.

Transient wrote:
Turns out I need to get an internal USB hub because of all the lighting, there aren't enough ports on the motherboard.

Do you mean an RGB controller? I'd recommend the Phanteks DRGB hub, I've got it powering two strips and 6 fan Halos on my rig. I ended up getting one for the missus' workstation build too because it simplifies things quite a bit.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I need both. I need 2 RGB/fan controllers for all the fans I've got, plus I also need to plug in the front USB ports and this motherboard only has 2 ports to plug them into.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 05:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Probably Cyberpunk 3077, followed shortly thereafter by Control. I never got past the prologue of RDR2 before getting distracted by other games, so that's also on my short list along with FF7 Remake and Forza Horizon 5. I'm willing to take suggestions for any other graphically-intensive games that are worth playing. The more ray tracing, the better. :owned: :up:

I think you've got it nailed already on the pretty games. That rig would run PC VR content like a beast also.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm toying with the idea of getting a VR headset and dusting off Elite: Dangerous for some docking simulator fun. :smirk:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Well, I need both. I need 2 RGB/fan controllers for all the fans I've got, plus I also need to plug in the front USB ports and this motherboard only has 2 ports to plug them into.

If you're looking for a dedicated fan controller, I'd also recommend the Phanteks Universal Fan Controller :ninja:

What exactly do you need extra internal USB headers for? One header should cover your front ports.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One header for the front ports, one header for fan controller 1, one header for fan controller 2. I haven't even installed all of my fans yet, so I don't even have the other controller in yet. I wanted to make sure everything was working before I go crazy with cables all over the place.

Sure enough, I'm having an issue with the fans not running, even on the video card. I did get BIOS to show up, though. Good enough for today, I'm spent. I'll troubleshoot tomorrow. :yawn:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 10:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I forgot! Happy birthday!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 11:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nobody has said it yet? wtf?...

Yay!

Sweet lookin' rig mate :up: :eek:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-13-2022 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
One header for the front ports, one header for fan controller 1, one header for fan controller 2. I haven't even installed all of my fans yet, so I don't even have the other controller in yet. I wanted to make sure everything was working before I go crazy with cables all over the place.

Sure enough, I'm having an issue with the fans not running, even on the video card. I did get BIOS to show up, though. Good enough for today, I'm spent. I'll troubleshoot tomorrow. :yawn:

I think you might be getting the terms mixed up. Your case looks like a Lian Li O11DW, so you just need to connect the cable coming out of the front panel to the motherboard's 20-pin header, which is along the bottom. That hooks up your front USB 3.0 and Type-C ports.

Your fans each have a 3-pin connector for the ARGB (addressable RGB) and a 4-pin powered connector for the fans (PWM). Daisy chaining means connecting 3 sets of fans together so they will all be powered by one ARGB cable and one 4-pin fan cable.

Your CPU cooler fans will daisy chain so you only need to connect them to the CPU FAN header.

For your chassis fans, those Lian Lis are PWM (4-pin) so you can get something like a Phanteks Universal Fan Controller and daisy chain sets of 3 fans into each 4-pin header on the controller. The controller hub then plugs into one of the motherboard 4-pin chassis fan headers.

But, your motherboard has 6 PWM fan headers so you don't need a controller hub unless you're having trouble with cable management. Just daisy chain a set of 3 fans together and connect the cable to any of your motherboard's 4-pin fan headers.

Your mobo also has two 3-pin DRGB connectors that will each power 3 DRGB fans/strips. Check the manual for the max amperage for each header. For ease of use and tidiness, you can hide an ARGB controller under the side panel and plug all your ARGB fans into that instead of routing a bunch of RGB cables to your mobo.

And your GPU is fine, the fans are off because your GPU hasn't reached the minimum temperature threshold to turn on the fans. It's a power-saving measure.

If it's still not making sense, I can send you a video of how I did it on my rig :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:

Yay!

I will. WTF! A white case and all those lights :rolleyes: Looks like a discotheque :D
I purposefully turned my windowed side of case to the wall so I'd be lucky to see even a glow.

Re cooling, I have a radiator (Corsair) and like you say Transient, a leap from fixed CPU fans. My son has all that fancy tubing/plumbing cooling pipework and even drains occasionally to change the fluid colour :smirk:

Seriously, a nice setup and rig :up: .

... and I to haven't built a rig in years but as we all know, a new rig is usually just around the corner.
Just located a receipt for this PC, November 2015 :eek: Time flies......

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:

Yay!

raw, Foo, and I did :paranoid:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain wrote:
I think you might be getting the terms mixed up. Your case looks like a Lian Li O11DW, so you just need to connect the cable coming out of the front panel to the motherboard's 20-pin header, which is along the bottom. That hooks up your front USB 3.0 and Type-C ports.

That's the right case, yes. There's a front cable for USB 3.1 and another for 3.0 to connect the front USB ports, plus the front panel plugs into the JFP1 header and HD_AUDIO header. So I think I have that bit sorted properly.

Captain wrote:
Your fans each have a 3-pin connector for the ARGB (addressable RGB) and a 4-pin powered connector for the fans (PWM). Daisy chaining means connecting 3 sets of fans together so they will all be powered by one ARGB cable and one 4-pin fan cable.

Actually these Lian Li fans have their own proprietary cable that goes from the 3 daisy-chained fans into the controller, then the controller plugs into an internal USB header and a JRAINBOW header and a fan header.

Captain wrote:
Your CPU cooler fans will daisy chain so you only need to connect them to the CPU FAN header.

Actually the radiator came with different fans and I swapped them out for more of the same Lian Li fans I have. I think this may be where some of my problem is coming from, because the pump is supposed to connect to the fans it came with via a 4-pin connector. But instead it's just dangling loose. I still have it plugged into a USB header and the CPU FAN header, though. In BIOS, it says the CPU fan is running at 800-1000 RPM, but it's definitely not moving at all. If I plug the pump into the PUMP FAN header instead, it shows 0 RPM in BIOS. :question:

Captain wrote:
For your chassis fans, those Lian Lis are PWM (4-pin) so you can get something like a Phanteks Universal Fan Controller and daisy chain sets of 3 fans into each 4-pin header on the controller. The controller hub then plugs into one of the motherboard 4-pin chassis fan headers.

As mentioned before, no 4-pin cable connects from the fans directly to the mobo, they go into the fan controller. But the controller does have a 4-pin connector I plugged into a SYS_FAN header and a 9-pin USB connector.

Captain wrote:
Your mobo also has two 3-pin DRGB connectors that will each power 3 DRGB fans/strips. Check the manual for the max amperage for each header. For ease of use and tidiness, you can hide an ARGB controller under the side panel and plug all your ARGB fans into that instead of routing a bunch of RGB cables to your mobo.

Would DRGB be the same as the JRAINBOW header I mentioned? Those headers are a 4-pin configuration with one of the middle pins blocked off. I could only find 2 headers for it on the mobo, though.

Captain wrote:
If it's still not making sense, I can send you a video of how I did it on my rig :)

Thanks for the troubleshooting help, I may take you up on that offer if I can't get this figured out by trial and error. I'm going to start unplugging things until I can get some of the fans to work. Maybe I'll have to get those NZXT fans and put them back in....

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, that solved it. The pump needed to be plugged into one of the fans it came with, then that fan into a fan header on the mobo. Suddenly, every fan in the case is running. Now I just need to figure out how to bypass that fan. :up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Would DRGB be the same as the JRAINBOW header I mentioned? Those headers are a 4-pin configuration with one of the middle pins blocked off. I could only find 2 headers for it on the mobo, though.

Yeah it's the same thing, "JRAINBOW" is just MSI's own name for it.

It's tough to troubleshoot without seeing exactly what your cables look like, but if you still need help, HMU on Discord :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-14-2022 08:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So it turns out those Lian Li fans weren't running because I needed to install software for them. I've got everything running now and I can boot into Windows. Tomorrow I'll have to deal with cable management, right now my back is killing me from hunching over the case poking at wires all day.

Thanks again for all the help, Mazda, you probably saved me a few hours. And it turns out I don't need that internal USB hub after all; a single fan controller was enough to get all the fans together. :up:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 08-15-2022 02:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

Nice rig man! Gotta jump in some games with us >:E

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-15-2022 05:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
So it turns out those Lian Li fans weren't running because I needed to install software for them. I've got everything running now and I can boot into Windows. Tomorrow I'll have to deal with cable management, right now my back is killing me from hunching over the case poking at wires all day.

Thanks again for all the help, Mazda, you probably saved me a few hours. And it turns out I don't need that internal USB hub after all; a single fan controller was enough to get all the fans together. :up:

Happy to hear that, enjoy the new rig!

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-20-2022 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The DIMMS all change color based on the temperatures of my CPU Package and 3 GPU sensors, from Cyan to Magenta. I still need to do a bit of cable management, but I got all the other tweaking done with. I undervolted the CPU to get the temperature down and overclocked the GPU a little bit. Before tweaking I got a 3DMark score of 15,000 and afterward it was 15,500. Not much of a change, but at least everything seems to be stable and I can keep the fans in quiet mode under medium load. I installed GTA5 and ran around a bit with the NaturalVision Evolved mod maxed out and only got around 30 FPS, but that mod is quite the eye candy in 4k. :drool: :up:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Of course it's water cooled. Perfect.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-24-2022 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Got the latest footage of Transient's PC here
https://gfycat.com/tendercharmingamericanavocet

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.