Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The videogame made me kill 3 people

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The videogame made me kill 3 people

Approaching the singularity
Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here we go again.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147722,00.html

Quote:
Lawsuit: 'Grand Theft Auto' Led Teen to Kill
Tuesday, February 15, 2005

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — A lawsuit claims the video game "Grand Theft Auto (search)" led a teenager to shoot two police officers and a dispatcher to death in 2003, mirroring violent acts depicted in the popular game.

The suit announced Tuesday seeks damages from the game's manufacturers and two stores that allegedly sold it to Devin Thompson (search), now 18.

An attorney for relatives of two of the victims said Thompson, who is charged with murder, had played the video game repeatedly.

Thompson is accused of killing the three men in June 2003 after being brought to the Fayette police station on suspicion of driving a stolen car. Thompson allegedly grabbed one of the officer's guns, shot him and the other two, then fled in a patrol car.

The suit alleges Thompson purchased "Grand Theft Auto III" at the Gamestop (search) in Jasper and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City" at the Jasper Wal-Mart when he was under 17. The games, which depict police killings and other acts of violence, are rated M, meaning they are appropriate for those 17 or older.

"What has happened in Alabama is that four companies participated in the training of Devin ... to kill three men," attorney Jack Thompson told The Tuscaloosa News, which reported the suit's filing.

Named in the suit are Wal-Mart Stores (search) and Gamestop along with Take-Two Interactive Software, the manufacturer of the games, and Sony Computer Entertainment, the maker of the PlayStation 2.

Messages left for officials of three of the companies were not immediately returned. There was no answer at the listing for Gamestop in Grapevine, Texas.

At a December hearing, authorities said Devin Thompson, when he was apprehended, told officers, "Life is a video game. You've got to die sometime."

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ffs

eminent
eminent
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bunch of crap.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

just send that kid off too iraq

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inside a bomb casing. Fucking hell.

Mind if i drive?
Mind if i drive?
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
ffs

indeed

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And who else but Fox to report it?

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lord!!!

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how come nobody has ever tried to sue midway?
i can see it now, some huge lard ass on the stand saying, "well it all started after i started playing pac man, now i can't do anything but eat, eat, eat,"

edit: hey! GYK, there ya go!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fucking retarded

Maiden wrote:
i can see it now, some huge lard ass on the stand saying, "well it all started after i started playing pac man, now i can't do anything but eat, eat, eat,"

LOL

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 11:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:

Hey cool. I'm off to apply for a job at MI6 then

I've finished Goldeneye and watched all the bond films. By their logic i'm fully trained to be an international secret agent

Hopefully within a few weeks i'll be polishing my invisible Aston after fucking a ridiculously hot foriegn nuclear physicist with a remarkably silly name

:icon19:

Its stuff like this that never ceases to amaze. Personal responsibility is never even mentioned anymore.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:dork:

Rationalis
Rationalis
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus fucking christ

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jesus fucked christ ?

i thought jesus was christ, oooo jesus fucking himself, i got it now :)

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All abord the train of logic!
losCHUNK borded it at the last station :P

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus makes me kill people.
Then again hookers arent people.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hookers are just overpriced spunk buckets

jesus is just an overpriced book

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its fox, what do you think

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 01:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maiden wrote:

psst
pacman is by namco ;)

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tormentius wrote:
Memphis wrote:

Hey cool. I'm off to apply for a job at MI6 then

I've finished Goldeneye and watched all the bond films. By their logic i'm fully trained to be an international secret agent

Hopefully within a few weeks i'll be polishing my invisible Aston after fucking a ridiculously hot foriegn nuclear physicist with a remarkably silly name

:icon19:

Its stuff like this that never ceases to amaze. Personal responsibility is never even mentioned anymore.

It really is a SAD state of affairs when I hear more discussion about personal responsibility from comedians than anyone else.

The voices in your head
The voices in your head
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 03:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nightshade wrote:

It really is a SAD state of affairs when I hear more discussion about personal responsibility from comedians than anyone else.

Was at a comedy show last week.... it's funny (and sad) how true that is.

PostPosted: 02-16-2005 05:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna sue the sim's for giving me a social life.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge wrote:
Quote:
and Sony Computer Entertainment, the maker of the PlayStation 2.

wow how gay is that. Lets file suit against sony for making the PS2 :dork:

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-16-2005 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, nothing is the parent's fault or the kid's fault any more, it's all the fault of everybody else. No one seems to have any power over their own life anymore, they're all controlled by video games and twinkies.

eepberries
eepberries
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ajerara wrote:
yeah, nothing is the parent's fault or the kid's fault any more, it's all the fault of everybody else. No one seems to have any power over their own life anymore, they're all controlled by video games and twinkies.

Not to mention pro-gay, bible hating, traitor liberals

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.