Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-12-2019 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Absolutely Fabulous The Movie (2016)

I have watched the TV series for years so I do say I thoroughly enjoyed the comeback of sorts.

With most if not all of the original cast present, then throw in celebrities and famous faces from years past and I name these, Dame Joan Collins, Sir Barry Barry Humphries, Dame June Rosemary Whitfield (RIP) and Stella McCartney, all made a for a great movie.

If it is your 'cup of tea' you just have to view. It was good, no great and entertaining :up:
A solid 8/10

IMDB

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-13-2019 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Wick
Not nearly as enjoyable as I expected, but I guess I fell victim to all the hype surrounding this series and Keanu Reeves. I expected more of the film.
Everyone's raving about the action scenes, but I felt they lacked something special. Most of them started off with some very fluid and well choreographed moves by Reeves but right before it gets really satisfactory, Reeves tends to get tangled up in this wrestling hold with a bad guy, immediately killing off the whole flow of the scene. I expected The Matrix levels of coolness, but it just wasn't there.
I must admit that the genre of movie isn't exactly my kind of thing either, so it probably was a hard sell from the beginning.

The Hateful Eight
This is more my kind of thing to be honest. I loved this movie. It's a typical Tarantino film. It's not about the story or the plot. It's about the characters, and all of them are absolutely great.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-13-2019 04:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love Tarantino films it's too bad he as a person seems to be terrible.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 06-13-2019 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally watched End Game. Best part about it is that it's over. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that time travel is a stupid contrivance and was the laziest possible way to wrap the series.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-05-2019 09:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Death Wish (2018)

Yes the Bruce Willis one. Nothing like earlier movies of the same name starring Charles Bronson.
My kind of movie :up:
8/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-18-2019 11:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Danger Close: The Battle of Long Tan (2019)

Just went to the movies to see it especially.

Quote:
In August 1966, in a Vietnamese rubber plantation called Long Tan, 108 young and inexperienced Australian and New Zealand soldiers are fighting for their lives against 2500 North Vietnamese and Viet Cong soldiers.

Get a chance, see it or put it on that list you have on your desktop and watch it sometime.

Rarely might I comment moving but the song in the closing credits :tear:

Do read the Wiki for interest.

IMDB

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2019 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

given that the Australian army was defeated by emus, i can't see them holding out for long against a few thousand black pyjamas

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-20-2019 12:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
given that the Australian army was defeated by emus, i can't see them holding out for long against a few thousand black pyjamas

Hardly an army!
All but about 100 young inexperienced lads facing two thousand well armed and professional soldiers on their own turf! Watch the movie :!:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The last movie I saw that would be noteworthy was "Us".
Was late to the international party, saw it the first days of may this year at a cinema.

It's a cool movie in his own way. Good compromise of the comedic and horror-elements.
But then those last 5 minutes.... WHY?
Why the twist upon the twist? I stil don't get it. Could have done absolutely fine without those last minutes, imo.

7/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-28-2019 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Matrix (1999)

Yes the original :eek: It was shown at the local cinema for one night only!

Image[/quote]

Great to see it again and I've no doubt see it half a dozen times over the years but on the big screen :up: I must dig out my (still sealed) DVD box set too :D

IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-29-2019 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
The Matrix (1999)

Yes the original :eek: It was shown at the local cinema for one night only!

Great to see it again and I've no doubt see it half a dozen times over the years but on the big screen :up: I must dig out my (still sealed) DVD box set too :D

IMDB[/quote]

I just came back from it. Still as cool as the first time I saw it. Holds up remarkably well too.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-06-2019 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019)

Most enjoyable as you can imagine :up:
8/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-15-2019 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Downton Abbey (2019)

Follows on from the TV series.. I have watched seemingly forever, well 2010 and enjoyed so I went to the movies today to see the movie.
Yes, if it is your 'cup of tea' it is a must. I enjoyed immensely :up:

8.5/10

Wiki & IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-17-2019 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've finally watched Jacob's Ladder. I've seen it pass by on lists for ages but for some reason, never got around to it. Man, what a ride. I can't really say too much without spoiling it (even though the movie is almost 30 years old) but at the end, my mind was blown. You're always thinking it goes in a certain direction, but it never quite turns out that way. Awesome movie.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 09-17-2019 05:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel like dr00g was a fan of Jacob's Ladder... if anyone remembers that guy

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-18-2019 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember that guy.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-18-2019 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IT 2 was disappointing, too many forced jokes and weird plot holes took away all the atmosphere and mystery the first movie had built up. Bill Skarsgard's Pennywise makes up for a lot of the film's faults though, he was born for the role.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-19-2019 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ad Astra (2019)

Awesome :!:

I dropped in yesterday and little did I know it was the first day of release here as I was some distance from home, a little holiday I guess and the cinema (never been in those doors before) was light on. No, not the lighting but the volume of people. I thought it would be well patronised, but there were few, maybe a 'bakers dozen' there :)

I just loved the movie so no spoilers for you. I will say being the once 'physicist of Q3w'...Yes I found that footer the other day, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie so much so, I am going again nest week :)

9/10

Physicist of Q3W

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-28-2019 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just returned from a second viewing so I guess I like it.
Get the chance, see it :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-02-2019 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Joker (2019)

Excellent :up: and my summation, dark, moody and thoughtful. Just go see it if you are given opportunity.
10/10

From the Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Joaquin Phoenix boldly reinvents Batman's cackling archnemesis in Todd Phillips' dark new vision of the supervillain origin story, also starring Robert De Niro.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-03-2019 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reading Joker reviews for what they're worth and thinking about the movie; still a brilliant piece IMO.

This set me to reading up on Robert De Niro so I'm off to find some of his movies of years past like Cape Fear, Men of Honor, Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy as they all look worth watching :D from the shorts.

Do you have any recommendations at all Q3W?

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 10-03-2019 01:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mean, Heat is epic. But most of De Niro's more recent stuff is trash. I mean unless Dirty Grandpa is up your alley. That does have Aubrey Plaza in it, so you might also want to check out Ingrid Goes West with her instead.

(trailer feels as long as the movie)

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 10-03-2019 08:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just saw Joker, basically perfect. 10/10

The reveal of the date with the neighbour as a delusion was amazing

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-03-2019 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thinking hard now after reading your spoiler and I've seen the movie..... :arrow: PM

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-09-2019 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Joker - 10/10

Fantastic film

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-09-2019 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well ok, I guess I'm seeing Joker asap.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-11-2019 01:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Joker
Holy shit

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-12-2019 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mortal Engines - 2/10

Absolute steaming pile of shit. How the fuck did they take a premise like this and cover it in so much stool? It's terrifically bad; I genuinely am astounded that I finished the thing. Would not recommended in the slightest.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 10-13-2019 04:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

El Camino - 4/10

Ehhhhhhh. Fan service almost entirely. A rather pointless plot with more pointless flashbacks and cameos. A long-winded way to say he lived happily ever after, I guess. It feels like a long, meandering character development episode.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-17-2019 01:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Joker

They said it was good. They were right...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-18-2019 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Joker
Holy shit

Yes.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-23-2019 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Therac-25 wrote:
I mean, Heat is epic.....................

Yes :up: Halfway through and paused for a beverage break :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-23-2019 11:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Really good so get a chance, watch :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 10:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Really good so get a chance, watch :up:

Watched just now for the 2nd time, still really good....Get a chance, watch :up:

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus Is King - 7.5/10 i guess

It's a 40 minute experimental IMAX concert film of Kanye and a gospel choir filmed in an art installation at a crater in Arizona. If that sounds worth $9 CAD, then see it while it's still around.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.