Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-12-2020 11:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Colette

6.5/10 - Biography about the famous French writer. Quite enjoyable but nothing to go mad about.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-12-2020 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TOVE wrote:
Me and the wife watched the Mr.Rogers movie tonight. I honestly feel it’s the most disturbing video I’ve watched in a long time. It’s very odd.

:arrow: TOVE
Intrigued by the disturbing comment so went looking :paranoid:
Ah Mr.Rogers, also know as A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood :confused:

:arrow: Don Carlos
I'll give that Once Upon a Time in Hollywood a look in.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2020 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ad Astra
5/10

Midsommar
6.5/10

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
7/10

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-17-2020 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
She is a decent director.

Based on one movie? :offended:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-18-2020 07:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lost in Translation...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-18-2020 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of my fave emo movies

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-25-2020 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got to see Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

As expected I guess. A fitting end to the trilogy)?) that started back in 1977 with Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope. I was interested to view the original trailer :eek:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Bridge at Remagen (1969)

It is an oldie for sure but I caught mention of this the other day and had to find :smirk: & watch this classic IMO. Find and watch it :up:

Quote:
As the Allied armies close in, the Germans decide to blow up the last Rhine bridge, trapping their own men on the wrong side. But will it happen?

IMDB

Interestingly I found remnants of the bridge on Google Maps.

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 04-27-2020 07:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 05:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Underwater 6/10

Decent action horror for a quarantine movie night. And it's got
CTHULHU!

The Good Liar 7/10

The Gentlemen 8/10

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2020 10:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-28-2020 05:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kevin James is a funny bastard. Never really liked his sitcoms, but his personal comedy is pretty solid...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2020 05:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I loved The King of Queens. Arthur, the father (in law) played by Jerry Stilller was especially great.

You should check out his YouTube channel. It's pretty good.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-04-2020 12:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Wars Rise of the Skywalker - 4/10

Oh dear

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 01:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seinfeld 23 hrs to kill.
After 20 or so years he has a new standup special.
30% rehashed jokes, 50% wife-bad humour. The last 20% was aight.

Srs why bother if you're just going to phone it in.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Underwater
6/10
It was not Cthulhu!!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-17-2020 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Django Unchained
8/10 I guess. Still a good, interesting movie to watch, but I don't feel it was among Tarantino's strongest works.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I felt that way about the hateful 8. I really liked Django though but mostly because of Christoph's performance.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 05:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed The Hateful 8 more than Django Unchained to be honest. From the start that worked up to the grand finale whereas Django Unchained feels like it's multiple detached parts of a bigger story, where each part almost feels like it was written to fulfill a function (establish a specific fact or event) but that in the meantime, a lot more stuff happened. Most of the character progression happens off-screen, which is probably why I found myself feeling a bit detached from it all from time to time.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-18-2020 11:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Django Unchained
8/10 I guess. Still a good, interesting movie to watch, but I don't feel it was among Tarantino's strongest works.

One I am going to try and watch in the next few weeks...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Luz"

Strange spanish-german coproduced arthouse-horror-possession-movie.
I think it tries to capture the vibes of 70s european horror-movies, like the giallo genre or generally being gritty because of cheap film-material combined with unusual lighting of the scenes, use of fog, etc.

I couldn't get into it at all.

The soundmix on the german version is terrible. I often wasn't even able to puzzle together a sentence because of so many non-understandable individual words.
I also am not really into the revival of 80s synth-sounds in TV or movies a'la Stranger Things so the soundtrack left me cold.
The plot is actually pretty thin yet hard to follow because a lot of time- and location-jumps and also because the stem of the story only vaguely being explained.

Not a pleasent presentation. 4/10

If you're into possession or chamber-like claustrophobic horror I'd suggest "Last Shift" or "The autopsy of Jane Doe" over this.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-20-2020 11:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Django Unchained

I have that movie somewhere and like Don Carlos, I plan to watch in the next days but re the last movie you saw, I caught that Dan Brown/ Tom Hanks Inferno. An 'end of the world by virus/plague/pandemic' movie. I've seen before but didn't remember the twist.

I will probably watch Cast Away again too and soon.....

7.5/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caught Cast Away again last night.

The Tom Hanks/FedEx executive marooned on an island some 1600 days. Been years since I watched but still a better than average movie IMO. The makeup and his acting :up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-21-2020 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn (2020)

I loved Joker movie and have seen it 3 times. I really have to watch this one again but wonder is anyone here has viewed? Thoughts?
I was surprised by the Ewan McGregor role. This Margot Robbie as an actor is new to me :smirk:
IMDB

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 06:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's shit

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 07:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with it. It had potential, but ended up feeling weirdly cheap (in set design), with anaemic characters. Pretty much just a bad Deadpool knock-off.

I watched Peter Jackson's version of King Kong recently, which despite having some poorly aged CGI, was a good romp (if a little over-long). Loved the nod to Braindead in the ship's hold with the Sumatran Rat Monkey cage :D

And I also watched Bad Boys for Life, which was great fun. Not meaningful or deep by any stretch of the imagination, but just a good romp with solid comedy turns by Will Smith & Martin Lawrence.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
[b]Birds of Prey: And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.............

Captain Mazda wrote:
It's shit

It is not often I don't finish a move but at about an hour, I simply couldn't do any more :smirk:
Aiming for Django Unchained next.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey, just a fair warning, Django contains some gratuitous nudity and extreme violence...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My cup of tea then :)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 02:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Jason and the Argonauts for the first time in ages this evening, and that skeleton fight still kicks ass after all these years.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 04:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
My cup of tea then :)

You naughty boy!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2020 06:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re Django Unchained, what a marvelous job Christoph Waltz did :up:

The appearance of Bruce Dern a surprise and Samuel L. Jackson did a splendid job especially at the table. Leonardo DiCaprio too, they all did a marvelous job.

The music score in parts :up: but the Jim Croce and the song I've Got A Name gave me a :tear:

8/10 as I really enjoyed this Tarantino work so thank you Don Carlos for the prompt :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 10:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just a little factoid I learned about DiCaprio in Django Unchained: in the scene where he comes out with the skull and the hammer and he slams his fists on the table, various pieces of glass break and he injures his hand. He smears the blood from his hand over the girl's face to emphasize he can do with her whatever he wants.

This (the injured hand and smearing it across her face) wasn't scripted. He accidentally injured his hand on a piece of broken glass, but continued the scene and played it out as you see it in the movie. They kept that take.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 01:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read that some time ago. I bet Tarantino fucking loved that. Wish I could have seen his reaction...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 07:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rise of Skywalker

TLJ was terrible and boring. This one is terrible but at least not boring. It is however exhausting, the pacing and editing is all over the place.
There's also a whole lot of meaningless scenes. Almost as if they shot action sequences first and then needed reasons to tie them together. Except they don't.
There's just no consequence to any of this. Disney is not taking any risks at all, everything ends up in the status quo that was set by the OT and Prequels.

Let's not speak of the 3rd trilogy again.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-28-2020 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What third trilogy? It doesn't exist.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.