Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-26-2008 10:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 8/10
amazingly well made: music, cinematography, makeup + costumes + special effects, acting are all top notch.
it has pacing issues at the beginning where they spend far too much time showcasing how super fantastic they are at making Brad Pitt look old as time. after the movie gets going its pretty good, just very sad.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
che was a douche:

yep but it will never stop the sheep making out he was the epitome of freedom fighters.

http://www.aawsat.com/english/news.asp? ... 3&id=16980
Part 2.
http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=3&id=17003

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 03:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:

i love how he's selling a che book at the bottom of all that.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, as soon as I saw busetibi had replied, I knew it had to be some sort of furious anti-Che rubbish. When you've seen one Zionist, you've seen them all.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 03:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:

Next time you stick your hand up your asshole, try to dig for a clue as well.

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 03:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
baa,baaa, baaaaaaaa

Part 2.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 03:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
© Fox News

Necro
Necro
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 03:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, u bitter virginal dwarf :olo:

I have no intention to highjack this thread, you want to debate me, then open a thread in the Void

Part 2.

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mass Effect: 9/10 excellent movie

ouF!
ouF!
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

busetibi wrote:
lol, u bitter virginal dwarf :olo:

I have no intention to highjack this thread, you want to debate me, then open a thread in the Void

oh yeah! 1v1 naked!

go go go !

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 11:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Brick again. 10/10, I love that fucking movie.

Watched King of Kong. Interesting, at least. Your appreciation will obviously vary depending on how much you like random ugly people talking about video games. Oh... never mind...

I love all of the niche documentaries that have been pouring out the last few years. Even when they're of questionable quality, they still manage to be rewarding.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-27-2008 06:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Clicky

The World's Fastest Indian

Made in 2005 ~ The life story of New Zealander Burt Munro, who spent years building a 1920 Indian motorcycle -- a bike which helped him set the land-speed world record at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats in 1967.

Amazingly some records still stand today.

A great movie and worth your time if you get a chance :up:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-28-2008 08:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story

Meh, John C. Reilly does a decent job, but this has all been done better in things like Spinal Tap and Almost Famous.
Has its hilarious moments, but also leans heavily on repetitive, juvenile jokes (cox => cocks, lol, etc.)

Numero Uno
Numero Uno
PostPosted: 12-28-2008 10:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

internal affairs, fkn tops. shame i saw departed first.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B, might want to check out The Rutles.

as for me.
Leatherheads, with and by George Clooney.

eh/10

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indiana Jones and the phoned in crystal cash cow -- 3/10

movie got worse every step of the way
even the opening credits were cheezeball

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Plan B, might want to check out The Rutles.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

From what I glean on imdb it should be good (actor wise a cross between Monty Python and Saturday Night Live).
Strange how it managed to fly under my movie radar all this time.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

conan the motherfucking barbarion!

awesome just plainawesome!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 01:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indiana Jones and the crystal OMG aliens - 2/10

The Mist - 8.9/10
If you've not seen the mist yet shame on you.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That really is a fucking great film.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 02:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes i really liked the mist. Highly recommend seeing it in black and white, which is what the director wanted us to see it in.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 12-29-2008 11:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah watched it in B&W the other day. Excellent.

Twilight - It was better made than I thought it was going to be, but it's just a teenage love story with 1 small action scene.

6 vampire bats out of 10

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-30-2008 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transsiberian - 8/10

Pretty unknown independent movie with Sir Ben Kingsley and Woody Harrelson.
I was pretty impressed, it's actually quite good. Obviously low budget with some distracting shaky handicam work but all things considered, it's well made, well acted, and the plot doesn't take you to the obvious places. Though the female lead does engage in some highly irrational behavior which makes you want to yell at the TV on occasion.

Smart People - 6/10

well made and well acted, but this ended up being the pinnacle of what people don't like about indie films. All the problems with this one relate to the screenplay. The writer and director are so in love with themselves and their work that they forgot to get an outside opinion to make sure they were relating to the audience. They establish characters which they then ignore (the main character's son of all people) then they show you all the faults of the main characters and whey their miserable; but when it comes time for them to grow as people they just steam-roll over that part and roll the credits. You never have time to stop hating these miserable cunts and end up just "meh?" at the end.
100% average film +1 bonus point for getting Dennis Quaid to try for a change.

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 12-30-2008 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stuntcock wrote:
Cant wait to get a chance to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, everyone is saying its stellar.

it's a beautiful movie... bring an emotional girl if you want to comfort her while she cries for 2 hours.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-30-2008 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the wrestler- 7/10

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 12-31-2008 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chopper: 7/10

I have no idea what to say about this film, except that Eric Bana puts in a terrific, hilarious, terrifying performance as real-life multiple-murderer Mark "Chopper" Read. (Wikipedia it to learn more.) To give you a taste, it begins in a prison where he is plotting to win a gang war by breaking the spine of every single inmate with a pick-axe. Yeah.

----

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: 8/10

“We're meant to lose the people we love,” explains a character early on David Fincher’s The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. “How else would we know how important they are to us?” Changing the focus of the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story upon which it is based—from the conundrum of a solitary human anachronism to the mostly relational and romantic difficulties of a man living backward—Benjamin Button invests nearly three hours toward an exploration of this question.

The narrative unfurls by way of a hackneyed plot device, a series of flashbacks framed as diary entries written by the eponymous Benjamin Button (Brad Pitt) and read aloud by Caroline (Julia Ormond) to her dying mother, Daisy (Cate Blanchett). Daisy is too weak to tell her daughter everything she would like to, and so the diary vignettes must suffice on their own to illuminate certain truths about Caroline’s parentage, Daisy’s history, and life itself.

The son of a wealthy industrialist who abandons him on sight, Benjamin is born as a frail old man on November 11, 1918, perhaps as the result of a local clockmaker’s efforts to somehow bring home “the boys we lost in the war” by building a memorial clock for New York’s Grand Central Station whose hands turn backward instead of forward.

However, despite the initial prognosis that he is not long for this world, Benjamin survives, and ages, or rather rejuvenates, into a healthy young man. He grows up in a nursing home run by his adopted mother, quickly becoming acquainted with infirmity and death. He meets Daisy, a resident’s granddaughter, and the two hit it off (though this is inadequately expressed by two child actors and a heavily CGIed Pitt), eventually hatching an earnest romance when, appearance-wise, they find themselves “meeting in the middle.”

Unfolding in the manner of a fable, Benjamin’s life comes across as a Big Fish story: a fairytale memoir like Titanic (complete with annoyingly frequent returns to the present and its elderly protagonist) told with the sensibilities of Pan’s Labyrinth. Completing this anti-realistic tone is the fact that, with the exception of David’s adopted mother, Queenie (played with wonderful depth and humanity by Taraji P. Henson), the supporting characters are unapologetic, broad-stroke clichés, right down to the sailor named Grim who intones sternly pessimistic pronouncements like a morbid C-3PO.

Pitt and Blanchett, however, are at their peak. Pitt’s Benjamin grows from endearing man-child (take note, Will Ferrell!) to lovingly selfless child-man, while Blanchett turns in a poignant, nuanced performance opposite him. A perfectly case Tilda Swinton plays Benjamin’s first lover, a stoney-faced diplomat’s wife.

Presented with the opportunity to span a century of (mostly American) history, from the First World War to Hurricane Katrina—and boasting everything from Beatlemania to Cape Canaveral shuttle launch in between—director Fincher must have decided to throw in everything but the kitchen sink.

The special effects used to recreate decades-old settings and film stocks, not to mention Pitt’s prematurely aged appearance, are nothing short of spectacular. However, a minor car accident (important only for its lasting injuries) is given an incredibly long, aggravatingly cutesy lead-up narrated in the style of a caper film; and an old man’s recollections of the seven times he was struck by lightning are depicted one by one, shot as A Trip To The Moon director George Méliès might have created them in 1902.

More successfully, Benjamin Button runs the full gamut of emotions, exploring love, friendship, grief, and humour (notably in the form of Family Guy-style flashbacks depicting the aforementioned human lightning rod).

Though its pacing is off, largely weighed down by a ponderous first act, Benjamin Button matures over the course of its running time, much like the titular character, and while it gets a little self-indulgent in its closing moments—choosing to go out on a lofty note like American Beauty or A River Runs Through It—its second half has all the makings of a memorable romance.

Shot beautifully by cinematographer Claudio Miranda in his first major film (he must have watched a Sam Mendes marathon for inspiration) and imbued with a sense of wonder and magic by Alexandre Desplat’s score (reminiscent of Danny Elfman composing for Tim Burton), Benjamin Button is a thoughtful Christmas confection and a definite contender for the Academy Awards on the horizon.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-31-2008 07:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button = 6.5/10 - A decent movie but nowhere near deserving of the accolades (and future Oscar awards) that it's getting. I simply think it's been the first time in a couple of years Hollywood made a movie this sappy...therefore everyone falls over themselves praising it. Fuckin sheep. This movie is no Forrest Gump.

Brad Pitt does his usual awesomeness but that's all in a day's work for him. It really was a kinda boring movie and so I predict it'll win about 4 Oscars.

Sliver...you need to smoke less weed.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-31-2008 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gran Torino - 8.5/10

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 12-31-2008 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Sliver...you need to smoke less weed.

It's entirely possible (read: I agree), but I wasn't high for Benjy Button. The first hour pissed me off, but once it got off the ground it was pretty worthwhile. Maybe I just have high standards, but an 80% is not an impressive score (given or received).

I am currently an hour into Glengarry Glen Ross, and will rate it when it's over. So far, I am loving David Mamet's writing (as always) and the insane cast: Al Pacino, Kevin Spacey, Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Jonathan Pryce. Wow.

orphan of war
orphan of war
PostPosted: 12-31-2008 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glengarry Glen Ross: 9/10

Just about flawless. Great performances and a script that fairly crackles with energy. It's like somebody transmuted a film noir into an office building, because nothing else has writing this good. Very impressed. The cast is stellar, as I noted above; this makes me want to go back and watch The Devil's Advocate (only because I've recently seen my two favourite Pacino movies, Heat and Any Given Sunday).

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-31-2008 10:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You ever take a dump that made you feel like you slept for 12 hours?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-01-2009 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doubt 10/10

Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman are superb. If you had any exposure to Roman Catholic (irish) education, it's a double treat. It takes the issue of the priest sex scandal and unfolds it in a way that you might not expect.

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 01-01-2009 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ikiru

Just acquired a DVD9 of the Criterion Collection disc of this... in a perfectly legal manner. I'd seen this a decade ago or so on VHS and remembered it clearly, and I wanted to revisit it. It's one of the harder movies to watch, but unforgettable.

Rating or reviewing it is almost impossible without sounding trite, so I'll let someone else do that.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-01-2009 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gran Torino - Like the car, its was a linear story, you always expected more..

But overall, i didnt see the end coming And thats a big plus.

9/10

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.