Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Irrelevant. Not to mention the majority of people seeing the movie wouldn't have read the book. Even so, it wouldn't make sense to not explain the backstory between the two characters whether it was in the book or not.

that's because Azog wasn't even a character in the book so much as a name mentioned once in passing... but in dividing one book into three movies they realized movie #1 didn't have an easily identifiable villain to fill in some cookie-cutter Hollywood Action so what had been a random comment along the likes of "Orcs are dicks." "Totally, bra. Like that one that killed your gwamps." is suddenly half the movie. Instead of them running into a few orcs, as happens from time to time, they're being hunted by Azog the one-armed dwarf raper of legend. The only thing that needed explanation about the subplot was why they included/invented it in the first place.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-11-2013 10:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Could be. I never heard the term before and had to look it up. From the descriptions it's not far off base with Judd Apatow movies: there's a vague script and every scene is basically ad-libbed out-takes and they pick the best take and use it in the movie and then somehow try to tell a story with all these ad-libbed scenes..it's fucking retarded. It's worse than an Adam Sandler production.

yep, that's mumblecore

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-11-2013 10:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
*vid*

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-11-2013 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re- speced the god of gamblers's : D

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 01-12-2013 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

7 psychopaths

8/10

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-12-2013 10:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
that's because Azog wasn't even a character in the book so much as a name mentioned once in passing... but in dividing one book into three movies they realized movie #1 didn't have an easily identifiable villain to fill in some cookie-cutter Hollywood Action so what had been a random comment along the likes of "Orcs are dicks." "Totally, bra. Like that one that killed your gwamps." is suddenly half the movie. Instead of them running into a few orcs, as happens from time to time, they're being hunted by Azog the one-armed dwarf raper of legend. The only thing that needed explanation about the subplot was why they included/invented it in the first place.

What an utter load of shit. Movies don't include an explanation as to why a Director/writer/whoever decided to include a particular character, but audiences do need to understand what a major character's significance is to the story. Without this understanding it just wouldn't make sense. You're just being a cunt.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-12-2013 10:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thelma And Louise

IMDB

A waitress and a housewife shoot a rapist and take off in a '66 Thunderbird.
Stars:Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis and Harvey Keitel

Harvey Keitel played a great Police Officer IMO and I really enjoyed the escapism but still rate at 7/10 but worth a watch all the same.

I'd tell you how it ends but didn't want to spoil it for you.

Director :!:
Ridley Scott and yes I was surprised as you probably are to find him as Director here considering these sci-fi classics under his name as well as so many other greats.
Blade Runner (1982) Alien(1979) Prometheus (2012)

Click for his biography

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
What an utter load of shit. Movies don't include an explanation as to why a Director/writer/whoever decided to include a particular character, but audiences do need to understand what a major character's significance is to the story. Without this understanding it just wouldn't make sense. You're just being a cunt.

piffle. i wanted a movie of The Hobbit and what I got was LotR Episode 1: The Phantom Ringwraith.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lower your nerdy expectations, and appreciate what's presented to you.
And stop donning furry atire, while you're at it. Ain't no chick gonna dig you with that getup.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so it's nerdy to not be interested in the backstory of every person/creature mentioned by name in LotR?

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
*pic*

The Fairytale Journey of Mr. Bilbo Baggins, The Hobbit‏. Where грабитель Comrade Baggins help capitalist pig dwarves to find treasure and drink vodka.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 03:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
so it's nerdy to not be interested in the backstory of every person/creature mentioned by name in LotR?

You seriously have no clue about movies or stories in general. The whole point is to make the viewer/reader sympathize or relate to a character so you can have an emotional connection. It's a little difficult to do that when the character has no back story and you have no idea what they're fighting for...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 03:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
piffle. i wanted a movie of The Hobbit and what I got was LotR Episode 1: The Phantom Ringwraith.

lol @ you for not enjoying it.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how odd. i've read the hobbit, which provides no explanation of azog (who isn't technically in the book anyway) or radagast and had no trouble relating to the characters. i guess i've been doing it wrong all these years.
incidentally, the movie only has 58/100 on metacritic and 65% on rottentomatoes... so apparently i'm not alone on this. i stand by my opinion that it was a rehash of the worst (and most unnecessary) visual gags from the LotR movies and that got in the way of the parts of the film that were done well (the beginning scene where Bilbo gets recruited, the trolls... basically all the parts that were actually in the hobbit).

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seven Psychopaths = 7/10 - Entertaining and pretty funny. Worth a watch.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
menkent wrote:

You seriously have no clue about movies or stories in general. The whole point is to make the viewer/reader sympathize or relate to a character so you can have an emotional connection. It's a little difficult to do that when the character has no back story and you have no idea what they're fighting for...

wtf are you talking about? It's not about a character's back story that makes the audience care, but the character itself. You get what they're fighting for from exposition. The backstory is reinforcement gravy only after the connection has been made.

lol?

menkent wrote:
incidentally, the movie only has 58/100 on metacritic and 65% on rottentomatoes... so apparently i'm not alone on this. i stand by my opinion that it was a rehash of the worst (and most unnecessary) visual gags from the LotR movies and that got in the way of the parts of the film that were done well (the beginning scene where Bilbo gets recruited, the trolls... basically all the parts that were actually in the hobbit).

I gave it a 6, which puts me smack dab in the middle of those scores. The Hobbit was ok, but there were some stretches where the movie was as boring as it was entertaining and the story was acceptable only if you left your brain at the door. Anyone who loves this film and defends it as being anything other than "average" isn't being objective.

Last edited by GONNAFISTYA on 01-13-2013 07:30 PM, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01-13-2013 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the fact that it ended without anything happening made me WTF. LOTR was 3 books so I understand that but this just a shameless cash grab.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol the ending was retarded.

They catch an awesome ride with the eagles...the best fucking taxi service in the world at the time...and when they could have gotten themselves carried all the way to the mountain they instead get dropped off on the top of some precarious peak (that they'll have to climb down) just to stare in retarded awe at their goal in the far off distance like a pack of idiots.

Yo...midget morons...the birds are still buzzing...call them back. At least ask them to carry you down to the valley instead of climbing down sheer cliffs.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 10:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or taking the steps that were on the side.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-13-2013 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess I missed the stairs. Whatever, they could have bribed the birds with seeds or pine cones or sumat.

I'm sorry but I have to point out that even such a serendipitous setup such as "stairs on a random cliff you might land on after an overnight flight from giant eagles" indicates how moronic the story is.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 01:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah but you see the eagles represent Tolkien's conception of God: the guy who only turns up to help when you've exhausted all your options. that's also the reason why the eagles don't just carry Frodo to Mt Doom. sure, doing that would have saved countless lives, but God doesn't give a shit about anonymous people in the narrative background when he's making a point

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 03:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
I guess I missed the stairs. Whatever, they could have bribed the birds with seeds or pine cones or sumat.

I'm sorry but I have to point out that even such a serendipitous setup such as "stairs on a random cliff you might land on after an overnight flight from giant eagles" indicates how moronic the story is.

What? It's a massive fantasy film with hundreds of more extreme examples than stairs on a cliff and giant eagles. If you hate on it because of shit like that then don't watch fantasy films because they're obviously not your thing.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 03:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Seven Psychopaths = 7/10 - Entertaining and pretty funny. Worth a watch.

In Bruges was better by all account...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
What? It's a massive fantasy film with hundreds of more extreme examples than stairs on a cliff and giant eagles. If you hate on it because of shit like that then don't watch fantasy films because they're obviously not your thing.

I don't hate it, but I won't deny it's a dumb movie. Why are you getting upset that I didn't love 100% of everything about the film?

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 05:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not, I just find it odd that you take issue with steps on the side of the rock mountain and giant eagles considering the type of movie it is.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also take issue with a deus ex machina happening every 10 minutes. I take issue with alot of the movie because the whole thing is dumb but I still tried to enjoy it.

Like I said...leave your brain at the door. u mad?

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 07:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. U mad you couldn't enjoy it? I would be.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Speaking of stupid movies that morons won't stop defending...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 08:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
I'm not, I just find it odd that you take issue with steps on the side of the rock mountain and giant eagles considering the type of movie it is.

This.

Are you going to roll your eyes at the wizard being pulled around by rabbits? There are dozens of examples like this. But it's fantasy. If you nit-pick every little thing, you're gonna have a bad time...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 08:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
lol

u are 1 fucking cheeky kunt mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol fuckin sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil fuckin gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's one thing to suspend disbelieve when you enter a fantasy setting, it's another thing to accept the film disregarding it's own rules in that setting.

Guess what i'm trying to say is that the eagle dropzone (amongst many other such mistakes which i have already conveniently forgotten) bugged me as well - but thank jebus we have seremtan who can explain it was a god thing, it made me feel a lot better than "lol @ looking for logic in a fantasy film", which tbh is a pretty fucking useless thing to say.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 08:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it that difficult for you to believe the eagles dropped them in a place they knew they'd be able to get off? Or do you seriously think we're meant to believe it's some tremendous stroke of luck?

PostPosted: 01-14-2013 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
lol

u are 1 fucking cheeky kunt mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on my mums life and i no u are scared lil bitch gettin your mates to send me messages saying dont meet up coz u r sum big bastard with muscles lol fuckin sad mate really sad jus shows what a scared lil gay boy u are and whats all this crap ur mates sendin me about sum bodybuildin website that 1 of your faverite places to look at men u lil fuckin gay boy fone me if u got da balls cheeky prick see if u can step up lil queer

u are 1 fucking cheeky kunt mate i swear

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-14-2013 08:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Is it that difficult for you to believe the eagles dropped them in a place they knew they'd be able to get off? Or do you seriously think we're meant to believe it's some tremendous stroke of luck?

Well the eagles were obviously some sort of hive mind mutant freakshow or an elaborate winged illusion judging from their impossible aerial teamwork, so i don't think free will or concious thought comes into it at all. A better question would be why Gandalf wants the party to suffer even more unneeded hardship.

I missed the steps as well actually, so my first comment was "Those useless birds! Did you see that? Have fun climbing down midgets!" or words to that effect, mere moments before it was pointed out to me that yes, there were indeed steps which makes climbing down somewhat less of a challenge.

Hmm, did that answer your questions? I don't think it really does - but it's a good response anyway and it's time to go home.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.