Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-28-2021 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
Heartbreak Ridge - 5 / 10

Might have been a decent enough watch back in the '80s. Wasn't too impressed with it though.

Haven't seen in years and thoroughly enjoyed.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-02-2021 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

Really good and yes an old but entertaining movie IMO.

Quote:
In 1900, a young widow finds her seaside cottage is haunted and forms a unique relationship with the ghost.

IMDB

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-23-2021 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched The Matrix Reloaded again, in anticipation of the upcoming 4th one.
I don't understand why it's in vogue to hate on this movie, because it's just plain cool.
Gonna watch Revolutions too.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-23-2021 02:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Just watched The Matrix Reloaded again, in anticipation of the upcoming 4th one.
I don't understand why it's in vogue to hate on this movie, because it's just plain cool.
Gonna watch Revolutions too.

It's because it's nowhere near as tight as The Matrix. Lots of things here and there that just don't seem well written. But it is better than a lot of folks are willing to admit.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-23-2021 08:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's all relative. The Matrix was just such a unique experience for most people that it was hard to match. Sure, Reloaded didn't have that same sense of amazement as the first movie, but it's not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-29-2021 10:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched The Matrix Revolutions today as well and same thing as Reloaded. Yeah, sure, the "whoa" revelation moments are rare in the 3rd installment, but god damn, if that isn't one helluva great sci-fi action movie I don't know what is.

I'm totally psyched for The Matrix Resurrection now.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-29-2021 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hummingbird (2013) also known as Redemption

Yep, a Jason Statham movie I stumbled across. Not too bad.

EDIT: Thinking and scanning through again, I would recommend :up:

Quote:
A damaged ex-special forces soldier navigating London's criminal underworld seizes an opportunity to assume another man's identity.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-02-2021 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Public Enemies (2009)

Not bad at all. Well done IMO :up: and Johnny Depp did a rather good job in the role.

IMBD

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-05-2021 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Catching up on some I've had about for a while :smirk:

2 Guns (2013)

Stars Denzel WashingtonMark Wahlberg

Quote:
Two hardened criminals get into trouble with the US border patrol after meeting with a Mexican drug lord, and then revelations start to unfold.

And not two hardened criminals... They are DEA and Naval Intelligence.....
For the past year, DEA agent Bobby Trench (Denzel Washington) and U.S. Navy intelligence officer Marcus Stigman (Mark Wahlberg) have been working under cover as members of a narcotics syndicate. The twist: Neither man knows that the other is an undercover agent. When their attempt to infiltrate a Mexican drug cartel and recover millions goes haywire, the men are disavowed by their superiors. Trench and Stigman must go on the run lest they wind up in jail or in a grave.
Worth the 2 spoilers :) and not bad at all 8/10

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 10-06-2021 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shang Chi - 7/10

Straightforward and mostly predictable. But it's fun and has some nice CGI in the end. The chinese theme is a nice fresh thing for the MCU.

To add some ideology critique: Just as with black panther, the foreign cultrure is not given a proper and equal footing next to the US on the world stage but is nicely contained in some secret magical kingdom.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-09-2021 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dune - the new one

Definitely one to watch at the cinema. Great experience on the big screen. Soundmix is awesome. I wasn't able to catch it in Dolby Atmos which is preferable.
The Lynch-version is one of my all-time favourite movies. Watched it about 15 times.
I have never completed reading the book(s).
So, while watching the new one I couldn't help but comparing it to Lynch's. Villeneuves' first part holds up very, very well. In some scenes it's weaker, in others it is stronger. The plot moves in a different pace and order.
I like the fast pace of it. Especially considering there's a second one to come.
I found the introduction/explanation to the Bene Gesserit insufficient. Although there was more of that than in the Lynch version. Stil, the pain-scene imo touches deeper in Lynch's version.
Speaking of that scene and also others, I would have wished to see Jessica being more active. She was totally passive here, just following Paul, giving advice from time to time or wheeping. She felt too weak of a character to me.
The graphic portrayal of the space-guild was very weak and Baron Harkonnen's Scaarsgard's performance was good but the character itself wasn't really frightening imo.

Anyway, overall definitely one to watch at the local big screen during this time.
8/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-09-2021 06:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking forward to Dune like no other in recent times :up: but not available here as yet so I am catching up on some I've had about for a while, while waiting. Might event visit the cinema.

Safe (2012)
Quote:
Mei, a young girl whose memory holds a priceless numerical code, finds herself pursued by the Triads, the Russian mob, and corrupt NYC cops. Coming to her aid is an ex-cage fighter whose life was destroyed by the gangsters on Mei's trail.

Yes I hear you, yet another Jason Statham movie but it wasn't' that bad. Predicable for sure, still entertaining and worth your time if you have some spare..

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-10-2021 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Batman Begins (2005)

The original but it has been years, still a great movie and a Christopher Nolan :up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-11-2021 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infinite (2021)

I am still finding or catching up on some movies on my 'to watch list' and this isn't a bad one at all if your looking :D
A recent Mark Wahlberg one, yes, with a great plot involving immortals, one bad one good in an epic battle.

8/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-14-2021 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dark Knight 2008

What else to say but classic :up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-17-2021 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

First time I have seen surprisingly. Really good. The role, Alfred/Michael Caine just excellent.

You just have to see the last 30 seconds. Wonderful end :up:

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-19-2021 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dune (2021)

Simply gorgeous :up:

Ferrao10 said it best, definitely one to watch at the local big screen given the chance. I will.

IMDB

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just saw Dune it was a fresh take for sure and cannot complain about how clear and awesome it was visually. However, below is something I mentioned in the Discord chat.

"I'm feeling like the 1984 version did a better job of explaining what was going on. The missus who didn't see the original movie or read the books was quite lost a lot of the time."

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 10:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With her on this. For now (first part of Villeneuve's), although a longer running-time Villeneuve does not achieve to explain more than Lynch did with shorter time back then.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also wanted to kick the TV at where they decided to stop the movie. It's literally where anything happens. What did they do with the last 2 hours? LOL

The second movie should have been queued up already instead of years out.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-22-2021 04:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:arrow: raw

My thoughts exactly :smirk: and truly, yes in hindsight, the original I feel was some points better.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 10-23-2021 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will say that the 1984 version really rushed Paul becoming the Kwisatz Haderach as well as his rise to power. However, to the credit of this film, it fit in the story of the whole book.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 11-16-2021 04:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No Time To Die (2021)

Not a bad flick but not necessarily happy with the ending. Daniel Craig was a good bond and sad to see him go.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 11-16-2021 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shang-Chi (2021)
Another good release from Marvel. Looking forward to seeing the Eternals as soon as I can.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-20-2021 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
No Time To Die (2021)

Not a bad flick but not necessarily happy with the ending. Daniel Craig was a good bond and sad to see him go.

Viewed last night and yes, that ending :smirk: Still, entertaining.
Did I read somewhere, he was 15 years in the role.. Yes.

Quote:
Craig is the longest-serving Bond, at 15 years; that’s partly due to the long gaps between films, including the multiple delays of “No Time to Die” due to COVID.
Source

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-07-2021 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hurt Locker (2008)

I have never seen it but it was on my list and the short is, (IED) bomb disposal Baghdad 2004.
In a word, interesting, then I like this genre.

IMDB

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched The Matrix Resurrections [2021]

The movie starts out like it’s going to be Inception and ends up being a 2-hour nod to the fan base touching on famous parts from the first movie. It was entertaining but I still feel The Matrix should have never had any follow-up movies.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Matrix Resurrections [2021]

Brilliant!
raw, I have to agree with your spoiler :) still 9/10 from me and don't forget, take the RED pill.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 10:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, watched snippets again at the end and I raise my stake to 9.5+
Simply a must view if you've seen the previous but who hasn't :smirk:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 12-23-2021 04:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
I still feel The Matrix should have never had any follow-up movies.

As far as I'm concerned, it never did :owned:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 01-05-2022 05:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[2021] Ghostbusters Afterlife

I had been anticipating seeing this movie since it was announced as it looked like a true follow-up to the Ghostbusters franchise. Overall the movie was highly entertaining, the script fit right in with the franchise story from the first Ghostbusters (1984) film, the scoring was familiar (more on that below), and the new characters were great.

With that said, here are some further opinions.
Fan Nods: While I appreciate the fan nods throughout this entire movie, it almost feels like the plot is a re-worked Ghostbusters (1984) plot with some subtle changes.

Scoring: I really appreciated that they used the original scoring for the entire film. However, it felt at times like they forced scenes to have scoring that didn't seem to fit or again, was forced. I will say, despite this observation it did give the movie a familiarity to it.

Stay Puft: I felt like they could have been more original instead of re-using the same "destructor"

Gozer: Gozer was said to choose many forms and Lois Tully (Rick Moranis) goes on to describe all the forms Gozer had chosen in prior appearances. It was disappointing to see they basically re-created the 1984 Gozer which also led to repeated quips from the first film.

Ending: The ending was good and I felt it gave some closure to everyone (including the original cast). However, I felt like it was wrapped up quickly with a bow on it after spending 2 hours setting up a decent story.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and it by far superior than other sequels and remakes (gah!) but like all franchises, they cannot please everyone. I'm happy that this will be my memory of the franchise and feel satisfied with what was delivered. It almost seems as if there will be a sequel with the new cast taking the reigns as was originally intended so that the franchise can live on.

P.S. do not forget some additional scenes post-credits.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-05-2022 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don't Look Up

This movie is incredibly funny and incredibly tragic at the same time. It's a parody of our society and how we handle bad news, but at the same time I keep wondering if it really is a parody, or just a really, really accurate portrayal of modern times.

And man, what a superstar cast. Leonardo DiCaprio (IMO one of the, if not the best actors humanity has right now), Jennifer Lawrence (who absolutely kills it in this movie), Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Dune-boy Timothee Chalamet, Ron Perlman and the list goes on.

I bet Gramps will absolutely hate this movie but everyone else should give it a watch.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-05-2022 03:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We just finished watching it for the second time in less than two weeks. And yeah it's actually hard to laugh at even though it's funny, because it's practically a mirror image of reality. The only difference is that
our death from climate change is going to be long and painful, unfortunately.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-06-2022 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I really liked this too, and seeing Leo play a nerdy middle-aged guy was a treat. I'm definitely appreciating him more the older he gets.
The other one that completely blindsided me because she was so completely unrecognisable was Cate Blanchett as the news anchor Brie Evantee.

But yup, hit a bit too close to home to be laugh-out-loud funny.
A bit like Death of Stalin in that respect. While that movie was played for laughs with regional accents and it's "Comedy of Errors" feel, I suspect the actual events went down almost exactly the way they were portrayed in the movie, and that realisation is enough to give me pause when I'm about to laugh.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-06-2022 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The mid credit scene was great.
Personally I was expecting it to be a tad different, ie

that they would realise that the people who bought themselves a ticket (lobbyists, political donors) were all old white men

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.