Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-10-2022 03:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2001: A Space Odyssey has some disturbing soundtrack, isn't it? I remember some info telling about a scene where the music gives goosebumps.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-10-2022 10:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I would say perfect soundtrack. Atfer all, it is a thriller sci-fi movie. Stanley Kubrick was very underrated director and in his relatively short life he made quite handful of movies. But the quality of such movies are extraordinary. 1968's "2001: A Space Oddysey" used music of the genius mind of Johan Strauss at the beginning. In 1980, Kubrick made "The Shining", which remains one of the most terrifying horror movies of all times. In 1987, Kubrick moved onto a war movie project called "Full Metal Jacket", which is one of my favourites.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-13-2022 06:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Legend (2015)

Quote:
Identical twin gangsters Ronald and Reginald Kray terrorize London during the 1960s.

No bad at all. Really enjoyed the movie. 8/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-29-2022 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cloud Atlas - IMDB

I've seen it before, when, I have no idea, but I saw a snippet the other day in a 'Tom Hanks' thing and thought to watch again. I am still getting my head around the tale but, if you have a minute or two, watch the opening moments :)

Edit:
I watch this again and see Hugo Weaving & Nurse Noakes at about 1:05:10 ... Marvelous !!

NB: Just a marvelous movie !

Edit: I will take me a while and a number of views to get my head around this so I'd appreciate any personal synopsis of Cloud Atlas you may hold :D

Edit: Simply a powerful movie :up: :up:

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 11-16-2022 11:27 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-01-2022 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hellhole

Originally a Polish film, I watched the English dub. To be honest it was pretty shit overall however there were some very cool elements sprinkled throughout that I wish the writer had developed more. I'd call this a horror / thriller type of flick. The story was predictable and boring, but there were some interesting visual and sound elements that helped out. The very ending of the movie was stark and frankly shocking, relative to the entire rest of the movie. Honestly I wished the entire show was more in line with that. I'd give it a miss unless you're bored. 5 / 10.

EDIT: Oh yeah... fair warning, it is rather gory and gruesome in some parts. If you have a weak stomach then I'd skip it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-03-2022 03:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Akira

This is one of those I'll re-watch this every 5 years or so types of movies. Something about the music in this movie is just so good... Along with the rest of it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-03-2022 02:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Akira

This is one of those I'll re-watch this every 5 years or so types of movies. Something about the music in this movie is just so good... Along with the rest of it.

A magnificent bit of cinema

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-04-2022 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have this memory of when I first watched Akira.
It was broadcast on public TV and my brother videotaped it. We had this TV guide that listed movies and their broadcast times with a little info blurb. The bit for Akira mentioned the unique use of color in the movie.

So when we watched the movie, we both immediately noticed the incredibly muted, de-saturated use of color. Almost black and white but not quite. Being the cultural snobs that we were, we said "Yeap, that's amazing use of color. Never seen anything like it. Great artistic vision".

A few days later, we realized something was wrong because the latest episode of Star Trek The Next Generation which my brother had taped had the exact same use of color. Turned out the playback heads of his VCR were so dirty they were fucked and all colors were completely washed out and closer to gray tones than actual colors.

Years later I watched Akira again in all it's full color splendor. Unfortunately that was the US overdubbed version though, but it was still good.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-04-2022 03:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You got to experience colorblindness of a sort.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-20-2022 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Akira is good stuff. Been a while since I've seen that, probably due for a rewatch soon. I like watching Ghost in the Shell every few years too. (the original anime not the live action shit remake).

Watched Dr. Strange - Multiverse of Madness. Not great. Cool action scenes but plot was pretty thin and it was unmemorable. 4/10.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2022 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched James Bond Spectre and thought it was awful. This is basically true for most of the recent James Bond films.

Yeah sure, James Bond is supposed to be just a mindless pew pew shooty shoot movie, but that's also the problem. James Bond isn't just a mindless pew pew shooty shoot movie anymore. At least, it tries not to be and that's where it fails. The execution is just poor. The script is poor, the acting is poor (What Daniel Craig does can barely be called acting) and the conversations between characters, bar none, are highly annoying. Everyone speaks in riddles. No one literally says what they mean. It's all about insinuations and meaningful glances.

One of the many points where the script just goes utterly wrong is near the end:
It's just completely impossible to understand why the bad guys try (and fail) to kill James Bond and whatsherface on that train, only to bring a cab to pick Bond and his girl up from some desolate train station the next moment. The cab brings him directly to the big bad boss' base where he's given a grand tour only to be knocked unconscious and hooked up to some weird ass torturing machine, where the bad boss does more talking than torturing. Why not have the cab driver kill them right there on the spot?

It's like, I don't mind cliches. I don't mind using extremely predictable tropes. The problem is that the writers of James Bond seem to actually think all these ideas are fresh and exciting rather than things that should either be avoided or ridiculed. It's exactly why Austin Powers is a much better movie than the most recent James Bond outings. Bond doesn't seem to realize he's turned into a clown, while Austin Powers obviously knows it and leans heavily into it.

There's also too much background noise going on with the recent Bond movies. It no longer is just Bond who's sent out by MI6 to do his job. No, there's always some bigger or invisible force at work in the background that makes sure either the 00-program needs to be halted, or James Bond himself needs to be put on leave or someone or something digging up previously unknown traumatic events from the past that supposedly never stopped haunting Bond which he now has to face. James Bond is no longer just fighting the bad guy, he's fighting his past and himself. I see how writers might think that adds depth to the character, but James Bond isn't fucking Batman. He's Bond. He needs to shoot guns, crash helicopters, drive fast cars with guns hidden behind the numberplate, wear fancy gadget watches and sleep with every woman in a 30 mile radius.

Yes, I realize those are the biggest Bond cliches and tropes, but if it were just that and the writers were aware of it and they managed to just lean into it and go with that flow, then James Bond would be uncomplicated, possibly even lighthearted action romps that would be very enjoyable again. Right now, Bond's biggest problem is that it takes itself way too seriously. Everything needs to be dark, gritty and thoughtful (brooding, rather). Instead of having Bond struggle with his past or his employer, give him a rocket to fly to the bad guy's moon base and blow that up instead. Much better.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 11-21-2022 02:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, this is exactly the issue I have with the recent Bonds, particularly after re-watching some of the old ones where it isn't the all-encompassing "big bad puppetmaster" storyline. Even the classic spectre/blofeld movies still just mainly treated it as an unresolved event in the end. Much more satisfying.

I had the same issue with watching Doctor Who, stopped watching after maybe the 3rd universally-connected-most-important-person-in-the-universe type storyline

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2022 04:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
I had the same issue with watching Doctor Who, stopped watching after maybe the 3rd universally-connected-most-important-person-in-the-universe type storyline

It also triggers the problem of power inflation. If you introduce some new, stronger bad guy then the hero needs to eventually find the power to defeat that bad guy, in the process becoming stronger themselves. The next bad guy needs to be stronger than the previous one to be able to be a problem for our hero. Introducing some sort of ultimate bad guy that can destroy the whole universe with a snap of his finger means that you cannot really go much above and beyond that. It's pretty much the first move towards shark jumping for long running series.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-14-2022 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Predators 2010

Yes you guessed correctly. Thought to view as I never followed up on the original with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Quote:
Storyline
When a group of people find themselves in a jungle, they realize that they are on a completely different planet and it's home to a race of extraterrestrial hunters. The group consists of a mercenary known as Royce, an IDF sniper known as Isabelle, a Russian Spetsnaz known as Nikolai, a drug cartel enforcer known as Cuchillo, an RUF officer known as Mombasa, a death row inmate known as Stans, a Yakuza assassin known as Hanzo, and an American doctor known as Edwin. It's up to these 8 individuals to stop their hunters and get off the planet.

I read the above and wanted to find out how they get off the planet :smirk:

They don't

Inexhaustible ammunition aside, predictable plot, still worth a watch if you get a chance.

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 12-15-2022 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Predators 2010

I fell asleep in the cinema. And this is a movie where spines get ripped out of the backs of people.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-26-2022 04:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im Westen Nichts Neues (edit: apparently it's called "All Quiet On The Western Front" in English)
A movie about the first world war from German perspective. It's a visually well made movie. It's also not doing a lot we haven't seen before in similar movies. In fact, all of the emotional impact and feeling of dread and horror is mostly gone because, and this is a bit of a dangerous thing to admit, I've seen it so often now. And this movie in particular seems a lot like it's a number of scenes strung together which each lead up to some awful moment. And I'm looking at it and going "oh yeah, his third mate just died, how awful for him".
If you're a fan of the genre, it's a good watch I guess. If you're not particularly invested in the WW1 era it's a movie that could just as easily be skipped.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-26-2022 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Amazing :eek: We are on parallel wavelengths.

Which one did you view Eraser?
I just watched the 2022 version yesterday. Having seen the '79 version years ago, I stumbled on the '22 and just had to watch it.

Get a chance, find/watch the 1930 version :D

All interesting :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-26-2022 11:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched the 2022 version on Netflix. Only after seeing it and looking it up on IMDB I discovered there were older films based on the same book.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-27-2022 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watch 'em :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-27-2022 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Topic: Re: The last movie you saw.. Me, just putting in the BluRay player 2010 ..

(2010: The Year We Make Contact - IMDB)

Roy Scheider as Heywood Floyd does an excellent job here :)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-29-2022 11:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glass Onion

Enjoyable film; sequel to Knives Out, which I also very much enjoyed. More of the same murder mystery, who done it sort of thing...would recommend.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-12-2023 03:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Chinese American movie starring Michelle Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis.
The less you know about this movie going in the better, but the mostly spoiler free description would be;
A middle aged woman finds out that every choice she makes has an immediate effect on the world around her. The more unpredictable the choice, the bigger the effect. This causes her to break out of her boring routine of a life. Chaos and absurdity ensues.
Part Matrix, part Butterfly Effect, beautifully visualized and so full of blink and you.miss it details that you csn probably watch this 10 times over - which seems apt as you're effectively watching ten movies at once.

5 out of 5 would break again.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-12-2023 09:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I fucking love that movie so much. I was recovering from covid when I watched it and wasn't really feeling well yet but I was laughing so hard I literally cried. And if you watched, you know exactly what scene I was laughing my ass off.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-12-2023 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you MKJ for your post as it prompted me to watch Everything Everywhere All At Once.

I've had it on the 'shelf' for a couple of months as it was on my 'must watch' list :D Not any more.

A really interesting, captivating and complex experience.

i feel I will probably watch this 10 times so it gets a 10/10.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-12-2023 10:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I fucking love that movie so much. I was recovering from covid when I watched it and wasn't really feeling well yet but I was laughing so hard I literally cried. And if you watched, you know exactly what scene I was laughing my ass off.

The scene that got me was the 2001 - A Space Odyssey apes and the "....evolutionary branch in the anatomy of the Human race...".

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-13-2023 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I uhhh... haven't watched that one yet.. :paranoid:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-15-2023 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Lost King (2022)

A very good & enjoyable movie.

Quote:
An amateur historian defies the stodgy academic establishment in her efforts to find King Richard III's remains, which were lost for over 500 years.

IMDB

King Richard 111 on the white steed at his grave and exhumation :tear:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-22-2023 09:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched Everything Everywhere All At Once too. Weird movie. Absolutely loved it.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 02-02-2023 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wakanda Forever (2022)

Just saw this last night and it was an enjoyable movie. I felt they did a good job with homage to Chadwick Boseman without overdoing it. Angela Basset was amazing in her role.

IMDB

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-04-2023 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Everything Everywhere All At Once

Just watched this too. Amazing movie, far better than I was expecting and glad to see it get a number of Oscar nods. Short Round/Data makes his first screen debut in over 20-years and takes on an impressive role.

Best scene in the whole movie was the one guest starring the rock.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-18-2023 11:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

John Wick Chapter 4 (2023)

If you haven't you must, that's if you are a John Wick follower of course :up:
9/10

Note to self.... Watch them all again :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-19-2023 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did not enjoy John wick 4. I liked the first one, that's it. I watched it last weekend because everyone was telling me how great it was. I wanted to turn it off halfway through the flick. In fact it reminded me of the movie Wanted which I decided to watch instead. I'd give JW4 a 3/10. I love Keanu but I think he's past the action flick role at this point.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-26-2023 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegendGuard wrote:
I had remembered a movie from 90s ~ 2000s ~ 2010s. It's an adolescent boy with heroic will, where he can fly in a plane with his father or an acquaintance.

There's a scene where he fights and defeats against bullying school mates (defending from a new friend that he will know during all movie) and other where he and his almost-know friend face punks being mugged in the street, one of them had a large fine ring (piercing) hooked on his nose, they were preparing to escape from them in this street, before the heroic adolescent snatches this punk one by ripping the piercing out of his nose. And wildly, the punks chase them and from there the chase destroys things that are on the street, local places, restaurants, ... and they manage to escape in the end.
The final scene is where these 2 kids are locked up in a plane where it's about to crash into a mountain, they manage to escape united with his father or acquaintance inside plane using a parachute.

But I don't know what the name of movie is, damn, I wish recover this title name on my memory.

Finally, I got it! It was Sky Kids (2008)! More details: The Flyboys (released Internationally as Sky Kids)

The scene I was mentioning is in the first 9~ minutes after they were out of school, buying an ice cream and then the punks car arrive.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-28-2023 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sisu (2023)

Quote:
When an ex-soldier who discovers gold in the Lapland wilderness tries to take the loot into the city, Nazi soldiers led by a brutal SS officer battle him.

My sort of vengeful movie and the scenery and cinematography :up:
9/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-01-2023 10:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)
Adventure/Action ‧ 2h 22m

Relented and went to the local fleapit. My Mrs hadn't been to that movie house in near 60 years :eek: :eek: Surprise too, the staff at the ticket sales counter said the fleapit had been rebuilt about 40 years ago :eek: How time passes sooooo quickly :smirk:

Would we venture out to see again? Yes and rate a solid 8/10

IMDB

and if you didn't know...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.