Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-19-2017 02:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 4/10 - it rated that high because it looks incredible but over all its is quite poor, sadly.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 6/10 - It was alright...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-19-2017 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - 4/10 - it rated that high because it looks incredible but over all its is quite poor, sadly.

Aw that's a shame. I saw the opening sequence of ISS being built out into this big space hub thing and it looked pretty neat.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 12-19-2017 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

It was OK. Too long and writing felt all over the place.

Blade Runner 2049

I loved it! Quite an audiovisual treat. Even though it's a long movie, every moment had a purpose.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-20-2017 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and Blade Runner 2049, both my sort of movies too :D

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-21-2017 02:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dunkirk - 8.5/10 - Really good film and incredible sound. I think my neighbours are now deaf.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-21-2017 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it was ok, I expected more so maybe I'm a bit biased

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-21-2017 04:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last Jedi. Last chance.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-23-2017 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien 3: The Assembly Cut

Thanks for the above Memphis as it has prompted me to check it out. I have always enjoyed the Alien universe...
Here's a write up on this edition some may find an interesting read... http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_3_Special_Edition

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-24-2017 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sicario 15/10

saw the trailer for the second one so i had to see the first

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-25-2017 05:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the first trailer?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-25-2017 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, i rated the movie off a trailer :dork:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-25-2017 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien Covenant: wank/10

a tedious mashup of Alien 1-5 memes, not a single original idea in sight, predictable ending

go fuck yourself Ridley :|

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-25-2017 03:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh shit, don't watch last jedi.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 12-25-2017 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched Terry Pratchett's Hogfather with some friends tonight. Never seen or read any Terry Pratchett stuff before but it's pretty cool, if not weird in places :up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-26-2017 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Oh shit, don't watch last jedi.

i probably will when it comes out on blu-ray so i can keep up with all the cool kids conversation :dts:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-26-2017 02:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
up to four, two-hour long bastard movies

what

get fucked

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 12-26-2017 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
I thought all the live-action stuff was a bit meh. However, you must read some Discworld.

Starting at the start, with The Colour of Magic is recommended for introductions to the crazy, but amusing logic of the world. Though you can still jump into stuff like Mort (a dumb, innocent guy finding himself in the role of Death's apprentice), or Small Gods, which rips on religion in various hilariously twisted philosophical ways. Can also vouch for both Going Postal, in which a criminally thinking miscreant makes a stonking success of the postal industry - later moving onto Making Money, where he's given complete control of the banks.

Haven't read them all, but what I have read has been brilliantly engrossing stuff with a great sense of ironic, satirical humour.

Someone did mention Going Postal was worth a watch so so I'll have to check them out too. Quite like how it sounds like they all link together in a way. E.g., death appearing across several of them and yeah the humour was done really well.

Not sure I have the effort to listen to all the books though, must be hours and hours!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-26-2017 07:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, the man died so at least it's no longer an uphill battle to read all of it...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jus got done with Blade Runner, held off because I thought it was gonna suck as a sequel to a cult classic that has been picked apart.

I was absolutely floored by it, best sequel I've seen in a very long time and one of the better movies too. I can see why people complained about the runtime but I couldn't get enough of it.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah the sequel was amazing. enjoyed it even more the 2nd time around.

It's obvious why it didn't do as well as other blockbusters, since it didn't spoon feed the audience everything and not enough things blow up in the process.

Didn't really care for the first one as it felt soul crushingly boring, but you can tell this sequel respected the original and stayed true to that universe, yet somehow felt updated to the high production standards one would expect these days.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 09:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sequel was amazing and better than the original imo...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-29-2017 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

It's obvious why it didn't do as well as other blockbusters, since it didn't spoon feed the audience everything and not enough things blow up in the process.

This is why I'm both happy and sad at the same time. I forgot what it was like to watch a movie where you could sit back and relax and not have action thrown in your face, or have an explanation to how a wormhole works again. You can just absorb it, I don't think we'll see another like it in the foreseeable future.

I was expecting something like a Total Recall reboot, with the film revolving around the whole Deckard 'thing' which pisses me off about the original. I love how it just pushes it to one side and doesn't treat it with any importance. I think it was better than the original too, it expanded on everything and made it better whilst staying entirely faithful to its predecessor, most importantly having an actual character arc with some 'meat' in the plot. Then there's all the things about life, ethics, the mind etc.

But the world, Jesus Christ, utterly brilliant.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-05-2018 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last night I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

You've no doubt seen this classic :up: and I enjoyed as I hadn't seen it for decades.

IMDB

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-05-2018 04:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gone Girl

It was good, then three quarters of the way through it just got shit and then gave up trying. Benfleck's body looks odd too. Too much pec.

6/10

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-05-2018 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Last night I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

You've no doubt seen this classic :up: and I enjoyed as I hadn't seen it for decades.

IMDB

Monty Python is quality.

I liked The Disaster Artist, would recommend.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-06-2018 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea I wanted to see Disaster Artist from the moment it was announced.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-07-2018 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sand Castle (2017)

Someone said here or elsewhere I should watch this movie. It took a while but I got my hands on it and just finished viewing...

One word, powerful.
Don't be put off reading the synopsis as it is worth a look.
7.5/10

From http://www.independent.co.uk

Quote:
The official synopses reads:

Set in Iraq in 2003, Sand Castle follows a group of American soldiers in the early days of the second Gulf War. Bearing witness to the heat and the horror is the inexperienced Private Matt Ocre (Nicholas Hoult), who together with several fellow soldiers is ordered to the outskirts of Baqubah to repair a water pumping station damaged by U.S. bombs. But as Ocre discovers, in an atmosphere where resentment and anger fester, trying to win the hearts and minds of the locals is a task fraught with danger. It’s here, in the streets, squares and schools that he discovers the true cost of war.

And a trailer for you...

IMDB
Rotten Tomatoes

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-08-2018 09:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Yea I wanted to see Disaster Artist from the moment it was announced.

I want to watch The Room, but apparently you can’t stream it anywhere...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-08-2018 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Baby Driver - 7.5/10 - Good fun and an amazing sound track. When a film includes some Boards of Canada you know its alright :D

Interstellar - not sure/10 - brilliant visually and I love the premise, but I am not sure how much I actually like it. It is odd because I would watch it again...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-08-2018 01:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Logan, I thought it was good. 7.5/10

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-08-2018 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Top Gun 3D.

Was rad.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-13-2018 01:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alien Covenant - 5/10

So many missed opportunities. So much to talk about with the link in to Prometheus. I don't even know where to begin.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-13-2018 02:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

begin by admitting it was a steaming turdfest of a movie and that Ridley Scott has lost it

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-14-2018 03:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh it had some major shit in there and also had a lot of missed opportunities from what I could see, but there were some good parts to it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.