Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 01-02-2013 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't know, going to watch it this weekend :clownboat:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-02-2013 05:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Actually the Indian chap was the only reason I get it 4.

gave

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 01-03-2013 06:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i fuck men...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-03-2013 01:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Django Unchained - 8 /10

I feel like some dialog was sacrificed in exchange for gore. Regardless, pretty solid acting from everyone involved. Samuel L Jackson's character gave the score an extra point.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
7/10

A film that has the feel of a Hollywood thriller while getting you to think more than one of those does.

The Girl Who Played With Fire
6/10

Sequel to the above that gives you more of pretty much the same just not quite as good.

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
6/10

This is another sequel making this a triliogy. Again it's not as good as the first film, but the good aspects of it make it more different to the original than the second film. One of the bad guys is pretty impressive and it features some pretty good fighting action for a change.

Looper
7/10

Has some great moments including some pretty cool sci-fi dialogue, but in the end the story doesn't turn out as good as I was expecting and hoping it to :(
A lot of suspense and it's unpredictable practically all the time which is interesting.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS somehow missed the point of Looper entirely.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i thought it was just another time-travel paradox movie with telekinesis thrown in for fuck knows what reason. good acting saved it from being complete crap, but only just. did i miss the point, too?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zero Dark Thirty = LOL!! - An even bigger slab of propaganda than Black Hawk Down. It's a very interesting story that's highly entertaining with good acting and production values but all that goes in the toilet due to the fact that this movie is nothing more than a pro-Muricuh/pro-torture/pro-Gitmo commercial. I doubt a single yank will notice that part cause muriuch kicks sand-ni.gger ass and for that reason alone it'll be considered for an Oscar. :rolleyes:

This could have been a good film if it were just about the events that happened and not about American foreign policy. Tell me how Osama Bin Laden was captured and killed, not how you wish the detainee program was in full swing.

And I could not stop laughing at them shooting OBL's corpse in the chest over and over again:

Bang! Bang! "Holy crap!" Bang!
Bang! "What?" Bang! Bang!
Bang! Bang! Bang! "Is that Osama Bin Laden?" Bang! Bang!
Bang! "Dunno...let me get a closer look." Bang! Bang! "Yep...it's him." Bang! Bang!
"Cool!" Bang! Bang! "We're gonna be famous!" Bang! Bang!

With this movie and The Hurt Locker it's looking like Kathryn Bigelow is worse than Micheal Bay at trying to start USA! USA! USA! chants in American theatres and her career has been nothing but trying to show why authoritarianism is good for you. What a dumb bitch.

Now I just can't wait for the movie depicting the events of 9/11 from the terrorist's perspective, showing all the hard work that went into planning and executing the hijackings with a huge cresendo of music at the end when the terrorists achieve their courageous goal of revenge by flying airplanes into the WTC. :up:
Maybe, just maybe, that film will balance out the horribly disproportioned piles of bullshit thrown about in our daily discourse about world events. But I doubt it.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 08:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is what 99% of people in Europe think when they hear an American (you normally hear one before seeing one).

PostPosted: 01-06-2013 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
i thought it was just another time-travel paradox movie with telekinesis thrown in for fuck knows what reason. good acting saved it from being complete crap, but only just. did i miss the point, too?

It wasn't about time travel at all, it was about age/wisdom/authority and making your own choices. That's why when they're talking in the diner Bruce Willis starts shouting IT DOESN'T MATTER, because that isn't the point and obviously time travel will never make sense if you try to work it out.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 09:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
This is what 99% of people in Europe think when they hear an American (you normally hear one before seeing one).

Sweet! My new wallpaper, thanks...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

you missed out:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Possession

Don't know why I keep bothering with these.
Probably hoping that one will suddenly live up to The Excorcist, if only slightly.
But yeah, they never do. Some laughs to be had.

4/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
It wasn't about time travel at all, it was about age/wisdom/authority and making your own choices. That's why when they're talking in the diner Bruce Willis starts shouting IT DOESN'T MATTER, because that isn't the point and obviously time travel will never make sense if you try to work it out.

You nailed it feedback :up:

phantasmagoria wrote:

you missed out:

I thought I held some pity but then again I just find this rather sad :tear:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 01-06-2013 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
menkent wrote:

What good film isn't about wisdom and making your own choices?
Looks like either you're wrong, or that filmmaker decided to make a point that didn't need to be made :offended:

Maybe it's an American thing? I heard that they call anything over 20 years old, like a building, "old" and have a negative attitude towards age.

Time travel does make sense.

Also, :olo: @ Doombrain thinking he knows "what 99% of Europeans think".

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 03:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hobbit 6/10

It has dwarf singing songs which is godawful, but it entertains all the same. Not as boring as i was led to believe either, i was pleasantly surprised really.

Life of Pi 7/10
I chose to watch it as a visually pleasing film about nothing. The religious thing was confusing and not needed (just like in real life). I wonder why they felt they had to emphasize it so, i read the book seven eons ago but i don't remember the religious deal being so overt.

PostPosted: 01-07-2013 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You reminded me that I have a coworker who is fucking NUTS about Jesus. The college I work for is technically part of a christian organization, but we are quite secular and part of my job indeed is making sure that all the course content is up to snuff. This new-hire PhD coworker is crazy about Jesus, like, more than our reverend. I'm pretty sure all her clothes have a bible verse quoted on them or say "JESUS". She's teaching a literature course next term and was asking me about what kind of books/short stories to recommend and how to teach them. Then she started asking if she could make the course text a Christian evangelical book and I was like... um no, this is a secular school and your job is not to make them Christian, it's to teach them how to appreciate literature. So she's like

"I see, thanks for the advice"

and I'm like "it isn't advice, you can't teach that"

so she's like "I see, thanks for your advice. How about ______?"

*I look up the book on amazon, find that it's another christian evangelical book*

"No, again, you shouldn't teach something like that as a course text. If you wanted to use excerpts from it to demonstrate literary technique that's ok, but not as the main text. use something respected and classic."

"ok, how about life of pi? It's got some good religious themes..."

*le sigh*

anyway she ended up going with... The Alchemist. Never heard of it, looked it up- hey, another book about religious themes. Fuck these Jesus freaks.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Life of Pi - 5/10 - i can imagine how some people would go gooey for this movie but tbh i couldn't wait for it to end. every time the guy went into eastern mystical babble mode i kept thinking of that guy Mohinder from Heroes who annoyed the fuck out of me with his "we are all connected... everything happens for a reason... etc etc" malarkey

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 01-07-2013 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what did you think of the 3d (assuming you watched it in 3d)? almost tempted to go and see the hobbit just for the 48 frames/3d thing, but the running time put me off.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 12:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite liked the use of 3D in the Hobbit actually, they're careful with using it in the sense that there's no shit flying in your face or anything. Most of it is pretty subtle :up:

You're right about the running time though, sitting still for three hours would have been about an hour too much for me had i not seen it with my new year's hangover still largely intact.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 01:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hobbit was perfection, you troglodytes.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just watched the Hobbit again. This time in HFR 3D (first time I watched it wasn't 3D). It was just as good the second time around. The 3D was good, but I really couldn't see the HFR as anything groundbreaking. It was almost like watching a TV with really high Hz...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 05:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm about to see The Hobbit for a second time tomorrow night. lol @ haters who can't appreciate its awesomeness.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
what did you think of the 3d (assuming you watched it in 3d)? almost tempted to go and see the hobbit just for the 48 frames/3d thing, but the running time put me off.

yeah saw Life of Pi in 3D - added nothing of value to a dull film. Hobbit is defo worth seeing 3D HFR

lol @ people complaining about shit flying out of the screen in 3D. what's the point of 3D if it's just 2D with bells on?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 02:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PSYCHO

Yes the original. Thought we'd get a watch before watching the newie :)

Great movie. No wonder so many accolades in its day.

Source or is that sauce as apparently, and probably because it was the B&W era, they used chocolate sauce for the shower scene?
Then maybe its an urban myth, so I will check :D
Good viewing 8.5/10

IMDB

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 02:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hobbit was pfg

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-08-2013 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hobbit = 6/10 - It was a decent adventure film. The story was a complete shambles but enjoyable enough. Considering the last shot in the movie shows they're approximately 350 miles from their goal (the mountain far far holy fucking shit that's a long walk far away) I'm hoping the sequels aren't just a bunch of midgets walking.

Django Unchained = 8.5/10 - A much better adventure film than The Hobbit (sorry wizard-cock sucking nerds) and if you don't see it you're probably gay.

This is 40 = 0/10 - Garbage. This vapid and boring movie is simply Judd Apatow employing his whole family for their bi-yearly paycheques and so they can continue to say they "work in movies"....if you'd call them that.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-09-2013 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Judd Apatow

is he the guy who invented 'mumblecore'?

sounds like a fag

PostPosted: 01-10-2013 07:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw Django Unchained, 7/10 schlock

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
The Hobbit = 6/10 - It was a decent adventure film. The story was a complete shambles but enjoyable enough. Considering the last shot in the movie shows they're approximately 350 miles from their goal (the mountain far far holy fucking shit that's a long walk far away) I'm hoping the sequels aren't just a bunch of midgets walking.

never fear, there should be some spiders and elves and shit... and, judging by this first movie, about 5 hours of asides and footnotes to explain things that don't need explanation (e.g. - oh, orcs are bad now? i missed the memo. good thing we get a half hour of back-story to explain that or i would've been lost. :up:).

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So you already knew about the connection between Thorin and Azog did you dipshit?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Judd Apatow

is he the guy who invented 'mumblecore'?

sounds like a fag

Could be. I never heard the term before and had to look it up. From the descriptions it's not far off base with Judd Apatow movies: there's a vague script and every scene is basically ad-libbed out-takes and they pick the best take and use it in the movie and then somehow try to tell a story with all these ad-libbed scenes..it's fucking retarded. It's worse than an Adam Sandler production.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
So you already knew about the connection between Thorin and Azog did you dipshit?

It's in the book ..

Quote:
He is referred to in a single remark of Gandalf's in The Hobbit: "Your grandfather Thror was killed, you remember, in the mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin."

.. though of course it had to be explained in the film.

Although, Peter Jackson did take a lot more artistic license with this film than with the Rings trilogy.

He precipitated the War of the Dwarves and Orcs in T.A. 2790 by killing King Thrór [..] In the following years, he was the common enemy of all Dwarves [..] the war he started climaxed in the Battle of Azanulbizar, where he killed Náin, but while fleeing back to the gates of Moria he was caught and beheaded by Náin's son Dáin.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
It's in the book ..

Irrelevant. Not to mention the majority of people seeing the movie wouldn't have read the book. Even so, it wouldn't make sense to not explain the backstory between the two characters whether it was in the book or not.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 01-10-2013 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
.. though of course it had to be explained in the film.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.