Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-28-2013 08:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The PROMETHEUS extras DVDs

I have been on my back for a couple of days (bad back) so I took the opportunity to explore :rolleyes: those extra DVDs that came on the Collectors Special Edition 3D BluRay.

I was astounded by the lengths they went through in a relatively short time. The detail in most everything was amazing to see, and yes I know there was a lot of CGI but things like a potter on his spotters wheel making those clay (black goo) vessels and even the guys making the "food", fake caviar were great to appreciate.

Funny, they promised "Questions Will Be Answered" proved to be false as although there was some explanation not many of my questions were answered.

Still top marks for making the "making of" available :up:
Impressed 9/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-30-2013 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The back is better :)

Watched Centurion 2010

Pretty good all round and lots of blood.
I watched because I recognized the name in the cast list of Michael Fassbender (David in Prometheus).

Briefly the Roman 9th Legion is slaughtered by Picts in the first century.

Rather good IMO
8/10

An article on The Roman Ninth Legion's mysterious loss

wiki & IMDB

Along the lines of the well known Gladiator of 2000

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Olympus Has Fallen = Fucking.LOL! - xer0s and andyman will love it and cry into their flags when it's all over.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why did you even watch that filth?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

at least it's not shit television.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It has an ensemble cast, including Morgan Freeman. I guess with him in it I thought maybe perhaps it wouldnuh couldnuh shouldnuh suck so hard...but it was just so laughably bad. The soundtrack was especially lulz worthy...I'm laughing right now just thinking about it.

It'll be an entertaining 2 hours for stupid rednecks who forgot to get tickets for the tractor pull or are too lost in the mall to catch White House Down.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-01-2013 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, because Morgan Freeman's involvement is the ultimate sign of a good movie. Allow me to present:

Olympus Has Fallen
Wanted
The Bucket List
Evan Almighty
The Big Bounce
Deep Impact
Now You See Me
The Sum of All Fears

etc.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Sum of All Fears is great film you utter shit.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol Pauly likes shitty Ben Affleck movies.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-02-2013 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

les miserables - 8/10

only 7/10 tbh... that last scene felt out of place.

he never really was a part of the revolution and then in the afterlife he hangs out with people he does not even know? and what is anne hathaways character doing there? she died 8 years before the revolution.

i guess they just needed an excuse to play the revolution song again.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 05:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europa Report

Astronauts on their way to explore Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, because there's liquid water and therefore extraterrestrial life, mebbe.
Refreshingly slow and boring. A pretty realistic depiction of such an endeavor, without big explosions and scary aliens, focussed more on how the crew handles things.
DryFi!

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Slow is the best way to serve scifi

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Europa Report

Astronauts on their way to explore Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, because there's liquid water and therefore extraterrestrial life, mebbe.
Refreshingly slow and boring. A pretty realistic depiction of such an endeavor, without big explosions and scary aliens, focussed more on how the crew handles things.
DryFi!

how did you watch this? it's not coming out for another month

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 08:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only people with horses and long beards think the internets magic...

Plan B. This better be good, this is on your back.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-03-2013 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want to get your punctuation right it's "its", if you want to be pedantic, it's "the", cause animals can't have anything; a "thing" (referred to as "it") cannot possess anything.

If you wanted to be specific about where the horn is while being pedantic, you would say "the horn on it".

Edit: If you wanted to humanise the "thing", so that it could possess things, you'd refer to it as "he" or "she" rather than "it", as those who work with animals do, correspondingly using the word "his" or "her" rather than the incorrect "its".

Edit2: You coiuld alternatively use the word "their" instead of "his" or "hers" and "they" instead of "he" or "she". It's a matter of humanisasion rather than referring to animals as "it". Meaning, you can't refer to animals as "it" and then go and say that the animals possess things.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you need to be human to possess? :|
wat

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 05:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you for real?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a throwback to olde English and different usage, in the world of DTS you'd need to use a constructor for objects.

The Saxons used to show possession of an object by adding an 's' to the end of a name, by the time it made it to olde English an apostrophe was included and later on was adapted for objects too.

edit: I thought it was 'its' n all cos 'its' is always possessive :shrug:

Last edited by losCHUNK on 07-04-2013 11:45 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Europa Report

DryFi!

This was good, you actually made it sound more boring than it was. There's parts I could pull apart but that would be unfair :]

It reminded me of a way, way better version of Apollo 18 if you can remember that, cos I barely can.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I quite liked it.
The only part I didn't really understand is when those 2 dudes came back from reparing something outside of the ship, 1 dude wasn't allowed back in because he was "contaminated" with some shit on his suit. Wasn't clear to me what that contamination was and how he got it.
There were other moments where I felt information was lost due to poor editing.

And yeah, the only thing I remember about Apollo 18 is that creepy crawly getting in that guy's suit and in his face.
The only selling point of the entire movie, which they even showed in the trailer if I'm not mistaken, so better just watch the trailer.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the contaminant came from the ship , when they were trying to repair something outside...I'm almost sure there was a little burst of that shit from the broken part at some point.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 12:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that could have been made a bit more clear.
Getting a burst of highly contaminated shit sprayed into your face when doing basic maintenance also doesn't really sound like good spaceship design.
I don't think I'm an imbecile who needs plots to be spoonfed, but I do like a clear explanation why 20% of the cast dies at a certain point.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perhaps he accidentally hit the ship's G-Spot and it orgasmed all over him?

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehe, you're such a virgin.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-04-2013 04:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Yeah, that could have been made a bit more clear.
Getting a burst of highly contaminated shit sprayed into your face when doing basic maintenance also doesn't really sound like good spaceship design.
I don't think I'm an imbecile who needs plots to be spoonfed, but I do like a clear explanation why 20% of the cast dies at a certain point.

Aye. 1 guys contaminated and another's suffocating only to explain the whole situation outside the airlock door, thought it was a little daft. The guy floating off after booting the Russian dude in the capsule n all, I couldn't help but think 'idiot'. Grim scene though. Although they were idiots for ramming something with a spanner that contains something that can relegate you to the outside.

I was struggling with the scenes getting mixed up, I'm not sure I missed parts but I remember 1 minute they're landing on the surface and the next they're in space conducting repairs ?. It explained itself as the film went on though and I thought that was really cool without giving too much away.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-05-2013 01:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europa Report sounds interesting ey, downloaded it for later viewing. Yesterday i tested my bad movie stamina by watching:

Total Recall the new one 4/10

It wasn't nearly as different from the original as i was led to believe, there were whole scenes that were roughly the same. Alas, it also wasn't the same enough to be worth watching. In fact, it was pretty fucking horrible... the whole movie was one large chase scene to which the plot took a backseat. Uninspired and deeply uninteresting are very polite terms for what i thought.

I predict that this remake will become a very good example of the dire state of affairs in Hollywood years from now. People will say 'Remember that period when horrible remakes like Total Recall were produced for stunning amounts of money? Yeah that was crap wasn't it, it was before all those major studios crashed and burned'.

Did like some of the future tech ideas they had such as the hand-phones, giving it a whole extra point for that. Another extra point for the single scene that made me chuckle for a bit, when the fat lady crosses the scanner - she looks a lot like the disguise used by Arny in the original but BAM surprise, it's not the dude.

tl;dr skip this movie, it's shit

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-05-2013 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Evil Dead remake #1 = 4/10 - Much better horror than any of the Paranormal Inactivity crap, but still a pretty shit horror film compared to the original and in no way justifies the remake.

World War Z = 4/10 - Just read obsidian's review of why this movie sucks, because it really sucks. A by-the-numbers zombie flick and boring as all hell. I also forgot most of it, and not because I was half asleep.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-05-2013 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
... the whole movie was one large chase scene to which the plot took a backseat

lol told ya.

I hope your entire evening was ruined for watching this after I told you not to, you stupid bitch. :up:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-05-2013 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hah :smirk:
Sometimes you just gotta watch something you hate, just so you can keep that precious hate fresh and justified. Also, it's fun to analyze something shit to death sometimes.

In all seriousness, i do think films like these will mean the end of a couple of major studios if they don't change their game. Really can't imagine anyone paying full price to see this tripe... what kind of self loathing monster do you have to be? Watching shit free is one thing, but paying for it? Fuck off. And i'm guessing it cost a metric shit ton to produce too. Did they break even i wonder? To me, Total Remake screams 'we don't know what to do in order to grab your money like we used to, so we'll attempt to repeat the successes of the past in the desperate hope you'll inexplicably want to give us your money again, even though nowadays the business models in these films don't actually allow for quality anymore'. And that is a sign of a market in deep, deep trouble.

That's okay though, I for one am totally ready for a future with more & smaller studios that can do larger things better due to improved technology and a changing market. Hope springs eternal and all that!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-05-2013 08:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
world war z. forgotten all of it, bar the zombie wave bit, which was very cool.
will watch it again when i'm more awake

GONNAFISTYA wrote:

World War Z = 4/10 - Just read obsidian's review of why this movie sucks, because it really sucks. A by-the-numbers zombie flick and boring as all hell. I also forgot most of it, and not because I was half asleep.

:up: :up:

Zombie zerg in Israel was a beast though

I watched that film with Will Smith in n all. oh my fucking god my eyes :cry:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-05-2013 10:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Europa Report sounds interesting ey, downloaded it for later viewing.....

:confused:

Oh yes. now I remember how to :smirk:

What, the movie is only 1.5 hours long?

Guess I will have to take a look :D

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Hunt 8/10

very cliche plot, but the interesting bit is in the character interactions and the particulars...strong performances (especially the lead character) and no nonsense directing.
Maybe the fact that it is a Danish film and the cultural nuances felt fresh to an outsider, has something to do with its effectiveness in engaging me as a viewer, but I'd like to think otherwise.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

White House Down = 5/10 - Way way better than Olympus Has Fallen purely on the fact that it knows how retarded it is and pokes fun at itself and other movies like it. Olympus Has Fallen took itself wayyyy too seriously. White House Down was cornball as expected, but a more believable plot and enjoyable for a waste of 2 hours. If you're in the mood to watch the White House set on fire I suggest you avoid Olympus Has Fallen and watch this one instead. Needless to say: blaze up first.

Redemption = 7/10 - Jason Statham punches his way through another one but his fisticuffs are more low-key with focus on the story and character arcs. Overall it's a pretty decent movie.

Dead Man Down = 5.5/10 - It's not horrible, but a bit too familiar as revenge movies go. Worth a watch for sure.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.