Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 08:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, not in Oz.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Man with the Iron Fists: wow, what an astonishing piece of shit. i knew it wouldn't be good, but it was really shockingly bad. made it about 20min in before i turned it off. contemplating the badness of this movie is like contemplating the concept of very large numbers. you know a trillion is big, but it's really hard to visualize. so yeah. this movie is worse than you can probably imagine a film could be (unless you watched human centipede, which i haven't).

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 10:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
made it about 20min in before i turned it off.

This, I don't understand.

I skip a lot of movies because I know they are shit.
Like I'm not going to read 50 shades of Grey, because I know it is shit.

You say you knew it was going to be shit. And it indeed turned out to be shit.
So why don't you just avoid shit?
Sheeeiiit.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no, i thought it would be a silly kung fu movie... like Iron Monkey or maybe a not-as-good Kill Bill. what i got wasn't even a B-movie. also, it was late, i was bored, and it was free.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 12:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
by 'in the tube' you mean 'in the cinemas', right?

No. Tube was supposed to mean pipeline, in the making.
I do see the confusion re the use of tube these days :smirk:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-06-2013 11:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is no confusion, what I meant was that it's already out of the pipeline and in the cinemas.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-07-2013 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Conjuring = 8/10 - Easily the best horror film to come out in a while, mostly because it's proper horror and not that retarded Evil Dead Remake#1 chainsaw-to-the-face-of-some-runofthemill-demon-who-bleeds-fifty-litres-of-blood dreck.

A very good movie and certainly stands out in the genre.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-07-2013 10:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've heard nothing but good things about that one. I'll have to check it out...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-07-2013 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11
Rebuild of Evangelion 2.22
Rebuild of Evangelion 3.33

Fanboy Score: 10/10

Even if you don't like evangelion the films are still a multiple visual orgasm.

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 08-07-2013 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

Evangelion 2.22 is incredible. Haven't seen 3.33 yet.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-07-2013 11:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3.33 is a bit strange. it goes off into a totally unpredicted direction.

the first two of the rebuild films could be considered as standalone movies. the third one definately can't. if you have not watched the series before you will have no clue whatsoever about what is going on.

a little help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho07Ag6lV9g

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-08-2013 11:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
There is no confusion, what I meant was that it's already out of the pipeline and in the cinemas.

Thanks MKJ :up:

searches......No, not out here yet :smirk:

Release Date: 29/08/2013

but methinks Elysium made be here... searches ... Nah :down:
Release Date 15/08/2013

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-08-2013 05:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

That's strange, I just watched all three as well.

I give it 8/10 total.

I loved the updated visuals. The CGI effects were a very nice touch and looked fantastic. I felt that 1.11 and 2.22 did a decent job of staying true to the anime but it was still missing some major parts that I thought were important for the development of the characters. It also made changes to what Shinji does when he bails on NERV which I felt were important in defining the personality of Shinji and his relationship with NERV. The same can be said for other characters like Asuka and Rei. I almost wish they would have just re-do the anime episodes rather than going with the movie format like they did here.

The third movie was a massive wtf moment. It was cool to look at but I had no idea wtf was happening. Having to wait for 4.44 doesn't help things. I want to know what's happening now. Also why is Asuka calling out for Shinji to save her and acting like a damsel in distress? She was much more independent in the anime and was considerably more of a bitch in my opinion.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-08-2013 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elysium 6/10. Wow, totally dropped the ball on this one. Everything worth mentioning was literally on the trailer. Also, it was embarrassingly preachy.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's an interesting review of Elysium over on BoingBoing.
I'm a bit disappointed the director went that direction after the somewhat subversive District 9.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup sounds about right... very disappointed with this one..a bit angry actually, lol.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol after the past several years of me telling you idiots to stop paying money to see this type of crap you fagg0ts finally say,"Yeah...cookie-cutter movies really suck."

I hope you fags get smacked by a bus.

I was hoping Elysium wouldn't be another run-of-the-mill, lazily-written sci-fi crapfest, but it appears it is.
*sigh* ....another one for the torrent list. :down:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The director had potential, it wasnt meant to be shit..fu, etc

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True. I'd have fallen in the same trap if you didn't already slag it. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-09-2013 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
There's an interesting review of Elysium over on BoingBoing.
I'm a bit disappointed the director went that direction after the somewhat subversive District 9.

Thanks for the link Mat Linnett :up:

Doesn't sound good at all but I see myself going in the next week or two so I will wonder 'til then.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-10-2013 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Silicone_Milk wrote:
The third movie was a massive wtf moment.

I think the creator of the show is again showing fans the finger; even the "cool" sunglasses Misato is wearing seem just to be there to mock the fans.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
lol after the past several years of me telling you idiots to stop paying money to see this type of crap you fagg0ts finally say,"Yeah...cookie-cutter movies really suck."

I hope you fags get smacked by a bus.

I was hoping Elysium wouldn't be another run-of-the-mill, lazily-written sci-fi crapfest, but it appears it is.
*sigh* ....another one for the torrent list. :down:

Every movie is cookie cutter it just depends how well you cut it :]

The conjuring seemed as typical as a bunch of teenagers getting lost in the woods or a throwback to Amityville as an example. It looked good tho, fell asleep half way so will rewatch :)

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the conjuring is passable, in comparison to other films in a very retarded genre to begin with. that's all.. certainly no more and thankfully no less.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still like the genre, well horror in general but yea, the market is completely saturated with the same story. I think the Thing prequel was one of the better in recent years, I thought it stayed very true to the original in both terms of direction and story which was pretty win imo, creating drama with suspense rather than full frontal action or blood n guts. Shit like Paranormal activity and Hostel are what people see as horror now when it's not even close, they just refined the art of fucking a story off completely and covering it up with gore or ghosts/aliens.

Horror/dark comedy is where the genre is at now though, Cabin in the Woods was a good twist on what's already been seen, Severence, Dog Soldiers all provide some good quality entertainment :)

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the way i see it, a really good drama/thriller is where quality can be achieved. The fact that horror films leave little to the imagination of creating a captivating story, and not degrade in an obvious super charged climactic final 20 minutes where the protagonist wins... or in rare occasions, actually loses... just doesn't leave much for any other possibilities...and both are equally boring.

I feel it's always the same thing.... the movie starts off conveying some kind of normal every day situation, that slowly elevates /deteriorates with aggression of some type and then it comes to the obvious conclusion. Kinda like jerking off, but you're not even the one doing it, you're seeing someone else jerk off for 2 hours.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-11-2013 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tis a fair point, a good 'horror' tends to cross genres. The Thing is obv Sci Fi, same for Alien and the cross overs with comedy that I mentioned.

I just never seen a true 'horror' as a mindless flick which is what everyone else seems to believe, even the early horrors of Halloween and Friday 13th had story and character development some of these newer movies could only dream of. Those 2 were basically thrillers n all, same for The Shining.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-12-2013 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

K19 The Widow Maker

IMDB and Wiki

Liam Neeson & Harrison Ford lead a great cast in the story of an early Russian nuclear powered submarine that developed a major leak in its reactor coolant system. Bases upon truth(?) and kept secret for about 30 years. The obvious dramas lead up to possible world wide nuclear war..

Enjoyable, no brilliant to the end 7.5/10

and

Earth vs The Flying Saucers

Yes the film release date is July 1, 1956 and a classic piece of science fiction of the day.

Wiki

Have to throw up a tube video to tempt or remind you :D
Classic 7/10

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-16-2013 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mad Max (1979)

8/10

great stuff

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 08-17-2013 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elysium = 6/10 - Even though I knew it'd suck I wanted to see it in IMAX. Beautiful movie, but boring as fuck and the space station was the least interesting thing about this story's universe. There was so much awesomeness they could have pulled from to create a more interesting story, but the plot is serviceable I guess. Everything is in black and white, including the over-acting. The cinemtography actually annoyed me in alot of shots/sequences...STOP SHAKING THE CAMERA ON A FLAT SHOT YOU FUCKING IDIOT...most of the fight scenes are as blurry, confusing and stupid as watching a scene from Transformers. Meh. A hugely missed opportunity.

I feel the same way about it as I do Pacific Rim: it's a fairly meh film but it deserves to be seen on a massive screen and your seat shaking. Thank fuck it wasn't in 3D.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-17-2013 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Mad Max (1979)

8/10

great stuff

Classic movie :up:

Just booked tickets to Elysium so waits :smirk:

PostPosted: 08-17-2013 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Thoise hend ceffs are made of hoigh tensile stoile. It'll take ya abat ten minutes to saw threw 'em. It'll take your abat foive minutes to saw through yer ankle, if you're lucky."

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-17-2013 09:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 08-17-2013 10:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
"Thoise hend ceffs are made of hoigh tensile stoile. It'll take ya abat ten minutes to saw threw 'em. It'll take your abat foive minutes to saw through yer ankle, if you're lucky."

So much ownage.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-18-2013 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Cabin in the Woods - 7/10

clever; but i expected it to be more intelligent.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.