Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 08-31-2013 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

98% is a bit much, I'd give it a 8.5/10

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 05:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kick Ass 2 = 8/10 - An all-around good movie that's entertaining and even better and funnier than the original IMHO. I was worried Jim Carrey would do a William Shatner and ruin the movie but the movie's overall story and good presentation of all the characters didn't really allow for that. The movie also takes the piss out of anyone who was offended by the first one, so kudos just for that.

See it blazed or see it sober, either way it's worth a watch.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 06:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.. and then Jim Carrey himself got offended by the movie;
Quote:
I cannot support the level of violence

he can, however, support the paycheck he got for it, it seems.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37897

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 06:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw The World's End on Saturday. Aside from making me realise that watching at home is infinitely more preferable than watching in a theatre (unless it's IMAX), it was a pretty good movie with some genuine laughs, but overall I'd say it's the weakest of the trilogy.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
.. and then Jim Carrey himself got offended by the movie;
Quote:
I cannot support the level of violence

he can, however, support the paycheck he got for it, it seems.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37897

Jim Carrey has a tenuous grasp on reality at the best of times. Never, ever listen to anything the man has to say about anything, unless he's delivering a punchline.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star trek: into lenseflare

6/10

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 11:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hunger Games 6/10

I bet the books are great. It's a great idea. But the movie just didn't do it for me. Entertaining enough I guess...

Beasts of the Southern Wild 7/10

Great original story and film. I liked it...

redline
redline
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blue Jasmine - 8/10

I went to see it at 5:15pm on a Sunday (Monday is a Labor Day here) and the audience was on average middle-aged and baby boomers. I'm not sure if it's because it's a Woody Allen movie or because of the time.

I enjoyed the movie a lot though, it was pretty damn good.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 09-02-2013 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
98% is a bit much, I'd give it a 8.5/10

98% is just the proportion of positive reviews. Its average rating on RottenTomatoes is actually 7.9/10.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 09-03-2013 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Hunger Games 6/10

I bet the books are great. It's a great idea. But the movie just didn't do it for me. Entertaining enough I guess...

The first book is pretty good. Like you say, it's a cool idea. After that the novelty wears off and they go downhill. If you only liked the first movie 6/10 I would recommend avoiding the next two because they'll be 4/10 and 2/10, respectively.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-05-2013 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:
Seven Psychopaths, which was a fun movie with some great performances from the cast. Sam Rockwell, Colin Farrell and Christopher Walken are fab. And Tom Waits made a brilliant psycho. He just LOOKS nutso. Lots of fun dialogue, although maybe a little ham-fisted at times.

i liked the hell out of this one. great cast.

The story of the Vietnamese man at the end was sad and brilliant.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-06-2013 08:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The World's End

Fanfuckingtastic :D

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-06-2013 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because?
Be a little more descriptive.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-06-2013 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I reckon the less said the better, I reckon the advert gives away too much. Glad I didn't see it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n__1Y-N5tQk

Simon Pegg movie, if you liked Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz then you'll love this.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-06-2013 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got to see

The Road (2009)

You've probably seen this. A post-apocalyptic story of a man and his son trying to survive and traveling the 'road', to where I don't know.
Pretty dark & depressing at the start but as the character unfolds the sky brightens somewhat.

Yes, view if you get a chance. 7.5/10

IMDB

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-09-2013 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Road = 3/10 - Good production values and good acting. That's it. Everything else is a waste of time. Sorry Whiskey, but I downloaded this movie on your suggestion and, based on most of your high ratings for really bad movies, I'm just gonna have to go ahead and never take your advice on movies ever again. :p

Seriously...the movie ended nearly exactly where it started with nothing that happened in-between being of any consequence whatsoever. Quite possibly the most pointless film I've ever seen. The depressing and brooding theme of the movie just helps make you feel more empty at the end. Yes, it's a story, just not a satisfying one.

Knife Fight = 5.5/10 - A lower budget and a lower quality of production doesn't really hurt this movie one bit. It's not a thriller or a drama or any of that stupid bullshit you normally get with a political-intrigue based movie...just a pretty generic and predictable story that you somehow find yourself watching all the way through...for some reason, even with the horrible acting from nearly the entire cast.

I really didn't want to like this movie because it's cheaply made and it has Rob Lowe, but I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-09-2013 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No problem with your view on it GONNAFISTYA as it is healthy to hear opposition occasionally.

I said post-apocalyptic, pretty dark & depressing and you, a depressing and brooding theme.

Yes, I agree it is a pointless film but that is the point; it was pointless tying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

They would have been hunted down for food early as those camp fires at night would have been a real beacon for the 'bad guys', those cannibals to hone in on.

I too felt empty at the end, near depressed at the fruitless attempt at survival.

My opinion firm :)

PostPosted: 09-10-2013 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Riddick 6/10, I give it that as a fan of the series.

The production value and acting is uneven, there are some scenes that you can't believe were the best takes and made it into the film, and some effects that look like from a TV movie, while others look really good.

Still, very fun and enjoyable mindless movie.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 04:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Descendents 7/10

No doubt about it, George is a solid actor.

I seem to give a lot of 7's. I guess I enjoy most films, rarely love films, and have a hard time hating films...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Yes, I agree it is a pointless film but that is the point; it was pointless tying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

Quite contrary to what I felt.
"Do you carry the fire?"
"What? Well, yes, I carry the fire."

A glimpse of hope. That's what the movie is about, for what I take from it.
The pointlessness was the cause of the destruction/annihilation. And that was a brilliant move, imo.
I rate it 8/10, have to read the book.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 12:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For me the pointlessness wasn't about the fact that they never explained the catastrophic event that caused the post-apocalyptic world...for me the pointlessness of it was that there were no story arcs in any of the characters throughout the entire film...in the end the kid was simply being taken care of by someone else, so he didn't progress as a character and learned nothing of what his father taught him, especially after his father himself fell apart after coming to grips with his wife's abandonment of their family...which was probably the ONLY arc in the entire story.

Much like the film "The Descendents" this movie's only purpose for existence is Oscar-bait to make people sad. At least The Road wasn't as blatantly cynical as "The Descendents"...that film made me lose all respect for anyone involved in it, including George Clooney. They're watchable, but if I had the chance I wouldn't watch them again.

All told, after watching The Road (and remembering how ridiculous "The Descendents" was) I'd probably have higher spirits if I watched a snuff film.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 12:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why are you putting quotation marks on The Descendents?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dunno...it was a proper name. I could have also used italic font. Or not. Why, in all that I've typed about a movie we disagree about, did you focus on that?

Did I make you cry as much as you probably cried while watching "The Descendents"?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 02:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just curious. I found it odd since we talk a lot of movies in here (obviously in a film thread), and no one, including yourself ever italicizes or quotes titles. And yet you did it for that one...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm hard like that.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 09-10-2013 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
Riddick 6/10, I give it that as a fan of the series.

The production value and acting is uneven, there are some scenes that you can't believe were the best takes and made it into the film, and some effects that look like from a TV movie, while others look really good.

Still, very fun and enjoyable mindless movie.

I've been looking forward to reading a review here. Big fan of the series, too. Gonna go see it regardless, most likely in IMAX or at least UltraAVX. Hoping it's gonna be an entertaining two hours.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seven Psychopaths.

Reasonably enjoyable, because it has some entertaining performances by actors I like, but the story/plot felt empty.
I like when reality and fiction intertwine in movies and affect eachother, but it was executed quite poorly in this.
The episodical stories themselves were ok, but the overarching narrative fell flat.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
I've been looking forward to reading a review here.

:olo:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What keeps you here?

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your enthralling posts.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 05:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Your enthralling posts.

Understandable

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
...for me the pointlessness of it was that there were no story arcs in any of the characters throughout the entire film...in the end the kid was simply being taken care of by someone else, so he didn't progress as a character and learned nothing of what his father taught him...

I think what the kid learned from his father's love was natural trust.
Like, don't trust anybody but, if that chance comes, bet on that one card and trust. We have to act the same way even in this "functional" world.
Also the kid had to learn to make his own decisions. The father made them before he died. Very generic, but a natural arc in a kid's life.
The kid also had to learn not to trust everyone, on the other side.
Don't know what version you saw, there was a cut version floating around. The original BD runs about 1:52 including credits.
The cut version does not contain the actions that take place in the farm house's basement. It is a pretty important element though, I think. At least concerning the kid.
The father's arc was a downward spiral, I absolutely agree. He couldn't hang on to life after the catastrophy and his own loss of his wife. He tried for the sake of the kid but he lost. But for his arc, could you imagine yourself in that role? I couldn't. I would probably have acted just like he did. This is no Superman movie. His former life was annihilated and there is no perspective, no future, only the kid and, thus, survival in that world.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I have to ask so forgive my ignorance or lack of language skills; what does the word arc mean in this text?

It has been used a couple of times by
GONNAFISTYA
..which was probably the ONLY arc in the entire story..

Ferrao10
.. But for his arc could you imagine yourself in that role..

Just curious.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 09-12-2013 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.