Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-27-2020 05:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah bummer, did it have that scene with Giulianni everyone is talking about? Was it as bad as it sounds?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-30-2020 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Ah bummer, did it have that scene with Giulianni everyone is talking about? Was it as bad as it sounds?

Depends on what you want to see.
Guliani is a creep and I wouldn't be slightest bit surprised if he's the type of man that gives a female co-worker a motivating pat on the bum and then goes on to explain how that's completely innocent and just a friendly gesture. Or worse. I'm not convinced this scene shows Guliani was ready to take it a step further with the girl, although the producers are doing their utmost best to make you believe that.

However, what it does show is that people very close to the president of the United States of America can be put in this position, very easily. And that's worrying.

The whole scene can be seen on YouTube by the way

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 10-30-2020 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Borat 2 was funny but I agree, Borat 1 was funnier.

Just watched Trial of the Chicago 7 and man, that's a pretty good movie. It had me pretty angry how Bobby Steele was treated.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81043755

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 03:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is one movie I will be seeing:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Directed by Bill S. Preston Esquire too!
Definitely worth a look.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 11:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit, Sam Rockwell could play him in a movie...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 02:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
This is one movie I will be seeing:

Fuck yes, Jerry :up:

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the Rocks 6.5/10
Not much to watch these days, and I didn't regret the time I spent watching it so that's a win in my book considering the crap movies Netflix dishes out.
Bill Murray is still very charismatic even at 70.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa, Tsakali, welcome back :)

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-09-2020 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Figured might as well check in, before
2020 has its way.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-01-2020 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Victoria

Not the last movie I saw but I thought I should recommend it at some time. It is an awesome achievement.
8/10 for what it is.

Edit: I should clarify what I meant by "It is an awesome achievement": It's a true one-shot movie. No cuts, no edits. It was filmed in one take that lasted over 2 hours.

Last edited by Ferrao10 on 12-08-2020 03:57 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-07-2020 10:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Tenet

Not bad. Typical Nolan-Timewarp-stuff. Look closer and the bubble bursts.
It has pretty setpieces.7/10

I finally got to view but I need to again... ...

EDIT: Mind bending as you might expect.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-13-2020 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All is Lost

Watched it on Netflix today together with my father, over 80. He had been a hobby-sailor all his life from 12 on up. He hadn't seen it yet. I had.
Quite an experience.

Our score: 8/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 08:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Midnight Sky

Yep, that George Clooney one. Not too bad if a bit slow to start but I'd still watch it again.

IMDB

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 06:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tenet - 6/10 - wtf

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Tenet - 6/10 - wtf

Why did you not like it?

I think it's a 8/10 or 9/10.

It's abstract but it's a brilliant construction. And the construction feeds right into the moral themes touched: Action in the face of inevitable doom.

The most common criticism I heard was "It's not emotionally engaging. I could not relate to the protagonist."

But: Not every movie has to be touchy-feely. There's very much room in cinema for abstract movies like tenet. There's always rewatching another episode of "friends".

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 07:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The story seemed thin, like a Dr Who episode

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Relating to the characters does not mean touchyfeely . I don't get that logic tbh

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 11:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Tenet - 6/10 - wtf

Agreed

I will watch it a second time to see how I get on with it a second time. A few films I have watched have made more sense the 2nd time, but I am not sure this will...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Relating to the characters does not mean touchyfeely . I don't get that logic tbh

English is not my native language and so I guess the hyperbole was not on point. How about "not every movie needs to have relatable characters."?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’ll definitely watch again, maybe smash a few redbulls (or acid) and see if it flows any better.

I stand by the story being weak. IMO any time based story is because it 99% ends up with “oh, it was them to start with”. I called that shit the second I saw the blacked out goggles.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 11:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS Xeros hasn’t seen it yet and has been avoiding this type of shit. Lol.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-19-2021 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's one for you :D and an insight into the Australian bush.

IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-25-2021 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Archive

Nope. Just didn't do it for me. Usually I like movies like those.
Maybe 'cause I've kind of seen all of it elsewhere. Brings nothing new to the table.
4/10

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-17-2021 09:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Archive

I found it interesting in a somewhat weird way and glad I saw it to the end. What a great twist :up:
I will view again on a rainy day :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey, if you liked that movie you might want to have a look at Moon, Gattaca, Ex Machina, Source Code, I Origins or Perfect Sense.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Whiskey, if you liked that movie you might want to have a look at Moon, Gattaca, Ex Machina, Source Code, I Origins or Perfect Sense.

Thanks for the recommendations Ferrao10 :up:
I haven't done Perfect Sense or I Origins so I will add to my 'to watch' list.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-19-2021 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moon is an excellent movie, highly recommend it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-20-2021 12:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Moon is an excellent movie, highly recommend it.

That can't be stressed enough imo. It's just everything in such a a small nutshell, just awesome story-telling.
Can't wait for what that guy comes up with next time around. "Mute" wasn't really great.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-21-2021 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another Moon recommendation here.
I also saw mention of Source Code, which is a movie that surprised me. I thought it would be a bit of a dumb action movie but it's a very clever and smartly done thriller.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-27-2021 09:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Source Code's revalation is just so gut-wrenching. Yeah, it is a really good movie.

The Color Out Of Space (2019).
Upon first viewing, just now, I was blown away by the sound design and mix. Even so much that I need to watch it a second time for the actual plot. Yes, this is an audial feast if you have the technical means to enjoy it, 7.2 receiver in my case.
But off the bat I think it is at least a 7 going for an 8.

About horror-movies... (I rate them for what they want to achive, not for actual quality in a cultural sense :) )
My favourite is Stake Land, also known as Vampire Nation 9/10
Second is the french Inside 10/10
Third is The Autopsy Of Jane Doe 9/10

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-27-2021 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Inside is fucking brutal. I'd say calling it a horror is setting wrong expectations.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2021 04:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would you say so?
It has to be the most horrible experience the protagonist of that fictional reality could ever experience?
What would you call it instead, genre-wise?

Color out of Space (2019) way exceeded my expectations. A really good adaption. 8.5/10
Nic's acting fits right in there, it's hilariously awesome.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-30-2021 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I meant it in a good way.
A stereotypical horror movie is either slasher, supernatural/monsters or torture.
While this technically is a horror, by labelling it as such one might expect one of those three and avoid it altogether.

Inside is gut wrenching in both subject matter and tension. It will.stay with you for weeks, if not years.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-30-2021 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see. In some way I do get you but where's the difference between thriller and pure horror?

I think there are a lot more sub-labels than those.
Where do David Lynch's Eraserhead, Lost Highway or Alien, The Serpent And The Rainbow, NotLD or the original old Frankenstein-story tie in with that?

I'd stil tell everyone upfront that "Inside" is the most insane and hardcore horror-movie they'll ever see.
I won't sell it as a (psychological-)thriller :).

Just to warn them.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.