Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Anyone watched the film with Ridley's commentary? Apparently he answers several questions

maybe the studio should've forced harrison ford to re-record the commentary for the theatrical release, so that it made some fucking sense.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I couldn't bother reading through all your ramblings...

Brilliant. He's edited it and it still makes no sense.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol and you fuckin fagg0ts were raggin on me that I "care too much" about movies?

Stupid fucking retards.

The next person who says I "care too much" will be linked to the previous page...and then I will wholly, completely and thoroughly proceed to make you my bitch.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You care too much.

/flies away

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

also, stringer bell never says "prometheus has landed" in the movie the way he does in the blu-ray

extended cut? with 53.2% more questions answered?

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 12:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
/flies away

Yeah...fly away. Like a fairy. A pink fairy with sparkles and a dildo up your ass.

Fuckin fag.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 07:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All the haters going into great depth about how terrible Prometheus was and crying about plotholes and the fact that all the answers weren't presented to them in a neat little gift wrapped box will all run out and watch the sequel at the earliest possible opportunity - because they "hated" the first movie so much.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 09:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you sure? I thought they just torrented it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-18-2012 11:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they sure seem to upset LawL.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Are you sure? I thought they just torrented it.

They'll be watching it at the first possible opportunity be it in the cinema or via torrent, thus proving they're full of shit about how terrible the movie is.

MKJ wrote:
they sure seem to upset LawL.

You sure seem upset about me being upset.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 12:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why would it be torrented before it's in the cinema? Really? :offended:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
They'll be watching it at the first possible opportunity be it in the cinema or via torrent, thus proving they're full of shit about how terrible the movie is.

Wait, are you saying it's not allowed to complain about something you did, because the fact that you did it negates any critique you might have? Have you been sitting in the sun for too long?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

its the real life equivalent of "you posted therefore you care"-shtick

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Why would it be torrented before it's in the cinema? Really? :offended:

Why are you even asking such a stupid question?

Ryoki wrote:
Wait, are you saying it's not allowed to complain about something you did, because the fact that you did it negates any critique you might have? Have you been sitting in the sun for too long?

What? I'm saying the supposed haters will be watching the sequel at their first opportunity, thus proving they are full of shit.

MKJ wrote:
its the real life equivalent of "you posted therefore you care"-shtick

Yeah you're right, in a completely wrong kind of way.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 01:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
What? I'm saying the supposed haters will be watching the sequel at their first opportunity, thus proving they are full of shit.

How is that not what i was saying? You're claiming that doing X invalidates a negative opinion of X since you went ahead and did it. What?

Personally i hated it so much that any sequel will be torrented, not seen in a theatre costing me good money (it only encourages the bastards) like i did with Prometheus. My motivation for watching a sequel is simple really; there's a slight chance it might not be shit. Also, i do love to moan about how things are shit when they are indeed shit, doing so brightens up my day. That makes me a masochist rather than a hypocrit.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 02:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LawL wrote:
Ryoki wrote:

It depends on what you class as hate?
I think that the film is full of holes and could be improved quite a lot BUT I still enjoyed it as a mindless popcorn film.

I guess that if you want a film that challenges you mentally and looks in depth at the bigger questions of the human race and universe, don’t watch a mainstream Hollywood blockbuster. Regardless of what people say, these sorts of films will always be dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. Mass appeal is the only way to recoup the $200 million dollar budget for filming and the $150 million budget for marketing. Lots of people want the explosions and the action without the strong philosophical storyline. But then they need to put some story in otherwise they the net that they cast will not be big enough to catch enough people and turn a profit. What tends to happen is that you get a main course action flick with a side order of story both of which have been generously drizzled in plot holes.

I hate Hollywood for doing this, but I also understand why they do it. People can argue that it is purely weak writing, and that could be the case, but it is set up nicely for a sequel which could answer lots of questions. Arguably Scott HAS cast his net extremely well and has lots of people tangled up in it who will gladly pay to see what he does next. Prometheus has probably caused more debate amongst my friends than any other film I can remember. You are right, people will bitch and moan, like I have, but will watch the sequel, like I will. I simultaneously enjoy and hate this film and that takes some doing in any entertainment medium.

Prometheus; the film people love to hate

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From now on I am going to have in depth online discussions about all the movies that I hate and think are terrible and make sure I watch all the sequels.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 03:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prequel if you wanna get technical

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 04:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's only inspired by another film, if you want to get factual. Then again, I haven't seen it and you have, so maybe Ridley Scott changed his mind since I read about the film prior to its completion and it is actually a prequel :rolleyes:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 04:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
It is a sequel :dork:

No it's not. :dork:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
Prequel if you wanna get technical

lawl isn't referring to story linearity, neither am i.

I am quite sure he is...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also sequel is based on sequence which in turn is also loosely based on succession, the act of following in order. Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection are in sequence and every film occurrence after Alien is a sequel. Prometheus isn’t a sequel because you have gone from 1 to 4 then gone back to start at -1. Whilst in the film production stakes it could be classed as “a sequel” because it is made after the first, in film terms it is not. The same as Star Wars Episodes 1 to 3 are not sequels to the Star Wars universe as they were set before emergence of Darth Vader etc.

I don’t understand why you would be talking about production times rather than story, like everyone else is?

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 05:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Oh but it is.

Oh but it isn't. Besides, you know full well that I was referring to sequels to Prometheus.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prometheus isn't a sequel, which is what you said. You can dance around that fact all you like, it won't change the fact that you tried to be a smart ass and you fucked up.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Noone refers to Revolutions as a midquel, so why care about this? Bioshock 2 is a sequel - yet the story runs long prior to the original. Who the fuck cares. The next movie may be a sequel to Prometheus (it may even not share the name), and a prequel to Alien, but it's all the same franchise. Anyone who liked Alien and Aliens has already seen enough crap to still want to give the next attempt a chance as the originals were so loved. Lawl's acting like everyone rushes to see the follow-up (prequel, sequel, midquel, reboot or otherwise) of any film that gets a lot of shit. Pedantic pidgeon-holeing be buggered.

Revolutions?

Anyway, if any medium tells a story in a franchise set before the original was made, it is commonly referred to as a prequel. Bioshock 2 is a sequel, it was based a decade or so after the first, despite it having chunks of game play prior to the first (commonly referred to as flash backs).

Anyway, I will wait for the sequel to Prometheus, another prequel to Alien, and hope they get it right this time :)

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
If we're talking hard chronology, it's not even a prequel to Alien, as none of the events directly lead up to it. We may not even see LV426 until Prometheus 3. Go bounce on that in the shower :ninja:

I never called it a prequel or a sequel. You did. And you were wrong. Time to cut your losses and move on.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Which doesn't change the fact that Prometheus isn't a sequel.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 06:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, my point is that if you feel compelled to have lengthy discussions online about a film and then eagerly await watching the sequel, then a person claiming they hated the film/the film was terrible, is full of shit.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 06:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And I never said it was a prequel. You said it was a sequel. You were wrong.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
No it's better to have lengthy discussions about word-use as-per Mrs Franken Fucknbuckle's English class circa 1989 instead.

Don't get all angry with me just because you're having problems accepting the fact that you were wrong on the internet.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 07:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Memphis wrote:
I could have sworn it was earlier, but 'course it wasn't, fuck knows what I was thinking of.

Doom then. Doom 3 was a sequel. But with a different plot. Almost the same but not. A parralel? Maybe a spin-off. A reboot then.
It's still a Doom game. And even though it's shit, fans of Doom 1 & 2 will still want to see a Doom 4, because one dodgy entry doesn't ruin a legacy.
Lawl's opinion is that instead of being critical, then hoping the next one delivers more, it's just better to just abandon a franchise like a bitter fanboy.
If he'd said it about Matrix Reloaded, fair enough as that had no precursors. This does. And they're big ones.

Doom 3 is widely regarded as a reboot due to it telling the story of how Doom started. Instead of it being in the manual they told the story via the game.
People, including myself, will want to see more of Doom as it was a pioneering games, much like Alien was in the film industry.

I am not arguing that in anyway, I am arguing with you not agreeing that Prometheus is a prequel to Aliens ;)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
Bioshock 2 is a sequel

I could have sworn it was earlier, but 'course it wasn't, fuck knows what I was thinking of.

Replace Bioshock 2 with Deus Ex HR and you'd still be right.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 08:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a prequel though, not sequel.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-19-2012 08:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's neither a prequel nor a sequel, it's a film inspired by Alien set before it. The fact that it's set before Alien would make it a prequel if it was actually connected to the Alien story but it isn't.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.