Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 05:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Truman Show

Yes made in 1998 but I have never seen the complete movie :smirk:

You've probably seen it, but to remind you, it is where life is contrived for a TV show star (from pre birth) to his 30's and he plays the part of an insurance salesman/adjuster. It is like 'Ground Hog Day' in some respects as the thousands of extras on the massive set, in a dome that must measure a 100 miles across, seemingly repeat their daily activities. Jim Carrey, plays the lead and he discovers his entire life is actually a TV show after crossing a large body of water, runs into the perimeter wall and walks out of the "set" after about 30 years.

wiki

Enjoyed (finally) 7.5/10

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 06:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw some some older movies by the Coen brothers:

Barton Fink - Amazing. [8.5/10]

Blood Simple - Entertaining, the irony is solid gold. [7.5/10]

Miller's Crossing - Very stylish, seriously blew me away. The plot doesn't entirely make sense, though. [7.5/10]

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Pretty good, solid style through and through. [7.5/10]

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-09-2013 11:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trance 9/10

The new Danny Boyle (who we know and love from Trainspotting and 28 Days Later etc) film. It's really excellent - enjoyed this one immensely. Starts out as a heist movie, but the plot changes dramatically every 20 minutes or so. Kind of like Memento played little mindgames with the viewer, only not as confusing and well, better. Good stuff, i reccomend this one heartily :up:

Springbreakers ?/10

Heard from a couple of people that it was not what you'd expect from the title and that it was actually rather good, but i don't know... had to turn it off about half an hour into it. I'm now thinking maybe i just wasn't in the mood for it, will probably give this another chance. Sure is filmed real pro, beautiful shots.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
Saw some some older movies by the Coen brothers:

Barton Fink - Amazing. [8.5/10]

Blood Simple - Entertaining, the irony is solid gold. [7.5/10]

Miller's Crossing - Very stylish, seriously blew me away. The plot doesn't entirely make sense, though. [7.5/10]

O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Pretty good, solid style through and through. [7.5/10]

Disliked Blood Simple a whole lot.
O Brother is pure gold. watch it again and pick up on all the subtle details and foreshadowings for extra fun.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm still mad that my german copy of O Brother is basically still in english because half the film is singing and they couldn't/didn't translate the songs.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

or you could just watch the movie in english like the rest of the world.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 06:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh, i do. i just happened to buy the dvd in germany and was disappointed (10 years later) when i finally tried to watch it with the german audio.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Trance 9/10

The new Danny Boyle (who we know and love from Trainspotting and 28 Days Later etc) film. It's really excellent - enjoyed this one immensely. Starts out as a heist movie, but the plot changes dramatically every 20 minutes or so. Kind of like Memento played little mindgames with the viewer, only not as confusing and well, better. Good stuff, i reccomend this one heartily :up:

I went to see Trance when it was playing in the movie theater, I thought it was really good, too. Very entertaining.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-10-2013 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Muriels' Wedding

Quintessential Australian movie and a classic IMO. Get a chance, watch it.

From the wiki
Quote:
A socially awkward, overweight, naïve "ugly duckling", who is obsessed with the music of ABBA, Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette) is the target of ridicule by the more fashion-conscious girls she considers her friends. She also is a perpetual daydreamer who yearns for a glamorous wedding and marriage to a man who will help improve her personal life and free her from a tedious life dominated by her demanding and often psychologically abusive father Bill (Bill Hunter), a corrupt politician who verbally lashes out at his subservient wife Betty and their unambitious children at every opportunity.

Always enjoy this. 8/10

wiki IMDB

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why should I watch your Australian film recommendation? You didn't watch my British film recommendation >:(

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 02:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People ignore your advice because we've learned over the years that you're nearly always 100% wrong about everything.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 03:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Go to Hell. @Ryoki

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 03:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It must be a special place if it's spelled with a capital H.

I also was bored enough to search the last 4 pages for your alleged reccomendation but found none. I am dissapoint.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 03:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-11-2013 01:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
http://quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5818&p=927137#p927137

Thanks and I will watch for sure in the next days, promise.

I am just about to rebuild my PC and I found a heap of movies in a deep folder I should watch. This to be #1.

Oh, and an apology for not viewing way back then, about 11-04-2012 :smirk:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
8/10

Starts off slow and tedious, and has some slow and tedious moments after that, but when it gets going it's fascinating. Don't find out what this film's about before you watch it if you don't want to spoil it :)

I think you'll like this one, Whiskey 7 :sly: :up:

Well DTS, I sat down this afternoon, linked the laptop to the new TV and watched Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

You were absolutely correct. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Again thanks.

As you said "Don't find out what this film's about before you watch it if you don't want to spoil it" and you were right. .... spoiler delete :D

Great movie and I'd go so far as to rate one point higher and make it a 9/10.

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 07-12-2013 10:57 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
DTS wrote:
Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel
8/10

Starts off slow and tedious, and has some slow and tedious moments after that, but when it gets going it's fascinating. Don't find out what this film's about before you watch it if you don't want to spoil it :)

I think you'll like this one, Whiskey 7 :sly: :up:

Well DTS, I sat down this afternoon, linked the laptop to the new TV and watched Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel.

You were absolutely correct. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Again thanks.

As you said "Don't find out what this film's about before you watch it if you don't want to spoil it" and you were right. [...] :up:

Great movie and I'd go so far as to rate one point higher and make it a 9/10.

Glad you liked it so much :) I think you might spoil it a little for other people with what you said. I edited it out of my quote: "[...]". Your call on whether to edit it out of your message. Maybe I am too strict :D

You're right, it's a great film! :)

I want to go back and see what films I rated 9/10 now, to see what it takes for me to give a film such a high score, heheh.

Last edited by DTS on 07-12-2013 11:05 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was good to watch so I deleted that mention :)

Did I mention I deleted that mention?

Yes sure I have now :smirk: .... Bloody time paradox problems ...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 11:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just checked and I haven't given a film 9/10 yet :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-12-2013 11:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did find I gave a film 17/20 before (and I gave a visual aid to the score), which is close to 9/10 :)

viewtopic.php?p=788041#p788041

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-13-2013 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pacific Rim 7/10

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-13-2013 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
White House Down = 5/10 - Way way better than Olympus Has Fallen purely on the fact that it knows how retarded it is and pokes fun at itself and other movies like it. Olympus Has Fallen took itself wayyyy too seriously. White House Down was cornball as expected, but a more believable plot and enjoyable for a waste of 2 hours. If you're in the mood to watch the White House set on fire I suggest you avoid Olympus Has Fallen and watch this one instead. Needless to say: blaze up first.

This I enjoyed very much :D, agree with your summary :up:

It's got a closer feeling to the good Die Hards than the new Die Hards.

And Olympus was just a jacked up america fest

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-13-2013 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europa Report (2013)

Good movie, and good science fiction.... no spoilers, still good to watch if a little slow. All considered, I'd rate a 7.5/10 addiing, if you like sci fi give it a go :up:

An interesting read on the making of perhaps?
Here's a another good read for your information.

The crew of the craft 'Europa 1' deserve medals :up:

IMDB

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-14-2013 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Bank Job
8/10

A seriously realistic film based on a true story of a bank job that happened in 1971 in London. Jason Statham plays the main man. Everything is so authentic, not just the way things look but the way everyone acts and sounds. Everything is true to the time it's set in, and it's based on a true story so it's all just so real.

Story-wise, it turns out their heist gets them mixed up in a conspiracy. It's not just some fictional film conspiracy like "oh this stuff could happen", it's "shit this stuff actually happened!" cause it's based on a true stoy :olo:
This is the British crime thriller, not Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, good as that film was, it's not got the gravity of this.

This is the British film people should watch; it doesn't have any of that quaintness that plagues most British films. It's some seriious shit.

You should read the bit at the end, too, cause it's astounding.

Dredd
8/10

A Judge Dredd film that's good, now that's something; cause of what Judge Dredd the comic book is. The only negative I could say about this film is the vehicles didn't live up to the comic; but TBH they'd have to pull some serious shit to achive that. At least the bikes looked bulletproof. Actually I could critisise the film for not haivng the golden eagle on the armour aswell as not on the bike, but during the film it doesn't stand out as a glaring omission, cause the suits look well realised and bulletproof.

Everything looks solid and real, no theme park effect cartoon feel to anything. The acting and casting is all true to the comic book and the directing really gives the film energy. If you know the Judge Dredd comics you'll know they got it right and if you don't, you're in for a treat anyway. (Oh yeah, btw it's sci-fi :cool:) I expect people will want to read Judge Dredd comics after being introduced to them via this film :cool:

There is some pretty gruesome violence in it but you think "it should be that gruesome. It should be gruesome". It fits in the film and story. I think we have just become used to sanitized violence :cool:

Strong film.

Source Code
8/10

Pretty clever sci-fi film, with a lot of unpredictability. I mean it's ungeneric. I missed the very beginning but don't think it was much story I missed. It's just well put together, in all.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 07-14-2013 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pacific Rim 6.5/10. Loved the first hour then got bored. Would have been better if there were some daytime fights but it's all a fast moving blur of nighttime battles with sea creatures mouths lit up in blue like a nightclub. You can't always make out who's kicking the shit out of who. Usual formulaic blockbuster rubbish really, but the visual spectacle with IMAX is really good and the size of the robots and monsters is jaw dropping.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-16-2013 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought it was quality :]

Another predictable action film that didn't take itself too seriously. I absolutely loved that they didn't try over complicating it either, which is what I was expecting.

Good summary though from the Drummerman, there's a lot of parts I could pull apart especially in the end scenes with some of the movie bordering on Top Gun. Still, I thought it was awesome and it made me feel 5 yrs old again :D I guess I got a thing for cheesey action done right :up:

I didn't think I was gonna like it either and took me about 30 mins to change my mind, had pretty low expectations.

I'm glad DTS liked DREDD n all (not just DTS but someone), thought that was overlooked by loads of people and reckon is much more deserving of a sequel than something like Spiderman. My 2nd fav 3d movie n all but only managed to gross its own cost in the cinemas :(

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-16-2013 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dredd was good enough for everyone to forget Stallone ever attempted it.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-16-2013 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It wasn't prefect, as good as the 3d was I think they pissed away too much of the budget on it. Its biggest downside was that it felt restricted and the story was just 'a day in the life of Dredd'.

Listening to the director talk about possible stories for a sequel sounds good (including dredd lords) but he had his chance and decided to have no story with a closed world, muppet >: /

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-19-2013 11:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On the big screen with the 3d that was quality, after watching it on DVD it just looked like slow mo lol.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-19-2013 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dredd wasn't too bad, certainly better than I expected. Sly's version was just lol.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 07-19-2013 03:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I AM TEH LAURRGH!!!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-20-2013 03:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cross of Iron

I hadn't seen it for a couple of years; still an enjoyable movie.
Notable stars include James Coburn, Maximilian Schell, James Mason

I was not surprised to read James Coburn was near 50 when making the film.

8/10
IMDB

Chupacabra
Chupacabra
PostPosted: 07-20-2013 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Before Sunrise

Watched this movie for the first time. It was okay. I think it didn't age quite well.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 07-22-2013 01:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Europa Report 7/10

Pretty good, could have done without the aliens, but pretty good. Especially liked what they did with the fragmented plotline, what with the cameras and so on. Kept you guessing. Also, they captured that sense of claustrophobic space dread real well.

This movie should scare the shit out of Hollywood, it's a perfect example of a small budget production being miles better than anything the big studios have to offer. Special effects no longer need high powered computers these days and if you get a decent cameraman and script writer they don't really matter anyway. Wonder what their distribution model was and how much it cost to make...

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-22-2013 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm afraid Hollywood won't be shitting itself any time soon.
Because while movies like this prove you don't need a big budget to create quality, a small budget also means you don't have a big promotional campaign, and a lot of people just aren't even made aware of its existence.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.