Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-17-2018 02:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Death Takes a Holiday 1971

Quote:
Death takes a human form and visits Earth to try to find out why humans want so desperately to cling to life. He unexpectedly falls in love with a beautiful young woman.

The quality of the video I watched was not too good at all and before watching I tried the usual sources and even sent an email off to 2 local DVD retailers. I just couldn't get a copy and my misses really wanted to watch. ...Wait, I may have found an online and overseas retail outlet. Watch this space..

For me it was an interesting premise but the video quality left lots to be desired.. I would rate lowly so I will wait to see if I can get the DVD..

IMDB

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds a lot like Meet Joe Black which I loved. I wonder if MJB was based on that movie, probably right? Might want to check it out if you're unable to find a good quality version of the one you're looking for.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Duellists

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 08:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Yeah, I suspect there's some high-level industry fear about Netflix stealing cinema seats, so that wouldn't surprise me.

Personally, I much prefer being able to watch stuff in the comfort of my living room rather than having to schlepp along to the cinema for an over-priced ticket, and potentially have the movie ruined by Joe / Josephine Public.

I stopped going to the theater nearly 20 years ago for pretty much those same reasons, and the general annoyance of being there with dozens of people making noise and getting in the way.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-20-2018 01:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I guess is also an important factor in the waning popularity of cinemas is the increase in quality of home cinema experiences. Simply said, we can go out and buy huge 4K televisions for what can be considered affordable prices and a Dolby 5.1 set isn't that odd of a thing to have anymore. Sure, it's still quite a bit smaller than a movie theater, but quality wise it's top notch.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-21-2018 08:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Went to the pictures this morning and saw The Mercy.

Quote:
The incredible story of amateur sailor Donald Crowhurst and his solo attempt to circumnavigate the globe. The struggles he confronted on the journey while his family awaited his return is one of the most enduring mysteries of recent times.

Starring Colin Firth & Rachel Weisz (you'd remember her from those 2 'The Mummy' movies of late). Both played very good part and the movie is worth seeing if you get the chance.

Short is a weekend sailor sets out to circumnavigate the planet but soon comes unstuck and then sets out to have the world believe he was actually doing it. He put his business and home up as security for the funds to build a new boat that had to set to sea ill equipped or sea tested. In the end he could never return home to be discovered.

8/10

IMDB

Edit: spelling

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 03-24-2018 05:28 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-22-2018 03:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Last Jedi, at last

fuck no.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-22-2018 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
The Last Jedi, at last

fuck no.

:smirk: I am planning to watch finally tonight.

Re: The last movie you saw: I watched Jaws last night and yes, the original of 1975. Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, and Richard Dreyfuss are the main characters.

What can I say but it's a classic :up: and if you haven't seen it you should.
Rating a 7/10 because it seems dated.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-23-2018 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
The Last Jedi, at last

fuck no.

Me too. It was a bore and the only saviour was the CGI/SPFX :smirk:
5/10

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-24-2018 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
It was a bore and the only saviour was the CGI/SPFX

My sentiments regarding the

Total Recall

remake I only saw bits of; tuned in about halfway through, went away and back to it later. See what the fuss was about "that world" :)
The TV reception was lacking so I didn't watch much really at all. Also it wasn't in HD. The bit with the cars I thought was pretty good. The fights were quite interesting :)

I remember when I saw the trailer originally I was unimpressed and disinterested. Having seen more of it, I'd like to watch the whole thing sometime :up:

If I were to rate it at this early stage it would be a

9/20

Looking at that; yeah it's about half the film it should be. The original lacked in the areas the remake did really well: the world; the technology. Neat stuff. :) :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-24-2018 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Having seen Roy Scheider in Jaws 1975 the other day got me thinking of the great job he did in one of my favourite movies, 2010, the sequel to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Take a look at the trailer here on the IMDB to see what I am on about.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-26-2018 08:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Predator 2

Saw it on a bigger screen this time. Missed the beginning and some bits and pieces here and there. I know the film pretty well at this point, so that's not such a big deal.

Apparent before and even more so on a bigger screen is the quality of the colour :) Could be one to watch again in HDR :cool: :up:

The ending is still bad.

8/10

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-26-2018 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bad ending, 8/10.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-29-2018 10:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UK/NZ Flight on Monday so chewed through a few trashy guy flicks.

Kingsman Golden Circle - 4/10 took the absurdity far too far and didn't have any of the self-awareness to pull it off, unlike the first one. Mechanical arm was the highlight.

The Hitman's Bodyguard - 7/10 Solid casting, good action flick. Interesting combo of Samuel L Jackson/Ryan Reynolds/Gary Oldman.

Hateful Eight - 5/10 self-indulgent Tarantino dross. Second half was alright.

Geostorm = 7/10 Straightforward/standard story but nice effects.

I'm pretty sure I watched a few others but can't even remember them.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-04-2018 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

I had the chance to watch this again and it's been years. Starring greats like John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin & Kevin Kline it doesn't date.

Quote:
A Fish Called Wanda is a 1988 British-American heist comedy film directed by Charles Crichton and written by John Cleese. It stars Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline and Michael Palin as a gang of diamond thieves who double-cross one another to find stolen diamonds hidden by the gang leader. His barrister (Cleese) becomes a central figure as femme fatale Wanda (Curtis) uses him to locate the loot. It was Crichton's last film.
Wiki

You must have seen it but if you haven't, I suggest you should.
Classic!

IMDB

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-07-2018 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:
My hero growing up was an RAF bomber pilot with a black Labrador called [LOL RACISM] :up:

Unexpected bouncing bomb reference.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-07-2018 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I forgot, also watched 'Security', an Antonio Banderas vehicle that can only be summarised as 'Die Hard in a shopping mall'. Ben Kingsley made a decent psycho killer head honcho, but the rest of the bad guys were completely absurd and had no plausible back-story.

Several massive plot holes but an entirely OK time-waster for a trans-pacific flight so I guess in that context 6/10.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 03:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
A Fish Called Wanda (1988)

I had the chance to watch this again and it's been years. Starring greats like John Cleese, Jamie Lee Curtis, Michael Palin & Kevin Kline it doesn't date.

Quote:
A Fish Called Wanda is a 1988 British-American heist comedy film directed by Charles Crichton and written by John Cleese. It stars Jamie Lee Curtis, Kevin Kline and Michael Palin as a gang of diamond thieves who double-cross one another to find stolen diamonds hidden by the gang leader. His barrister (Cleese) becomes a central figure as femme fatale Wanda (Curtis) uses him to locate the loot. It was Crichton's last film.
Wiki

You must have seen it but if you haven't, I suggest you should.
Classic!

IMDB

I love that movie... Did you ever check out Meet Joe Black?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-09-2018 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
.. Did you ever check out Meet Joe Black?

Just viewed the trailer and it looks OK so I will seek it out.. Thanks for the suggestion :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-10-2018 04:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's based off Death takes a holiday I think. I loved it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-14-2018 10:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
It's based off Death takes a holiday I think. I loved it.

:up: and I've yet to view Meet Joe Black.

The Last movie I saw was Kelly's Heroes (1970).

Stars: Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland, Don Rickles, Gavin McLeod & others.
Story: A gold heist behind German enemy lines in World War 2 by a rag tag band of US troop but I am sure you've seen it and if you haven't you must.

Classic :!:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 05:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers Infinity War

Fucking mega/10

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 03:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm getting a little bored of the marvel super heroes. I honestly prefer the more indie super hero movies I've seen over Marvel ones. They seem grittier and more realistic. One I watched recently "They called me Jeeg" was awesome. The acting wasn't super great but I prefer something like that.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-02-2018 08:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (2018)

Quote:
A writer forms an unexpected bond with the residents of Guernsey Island in the aftermath of World War II, when she decides to write a book about their experiences during the war.

Look, I was skeptical at first with thoughts seeing this but was pleasantly surprised. StudioCanal just one of the 4 production companies involved, I always find makes for a great movie experience .

Well worth your time.
8/10

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-09-2018 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers 3 - 9/10

best marvel movie yet? loved the structure. cap is boring as fuck. drax kills it.

black panther - 6/10

boring. no real tension and a bond/car-chase sequence in the middle that felt like just a filler. i think they should have used that act to add some more depth to the "wakanda first(?)" aspect/discussion.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-31-2018 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finding Your Feet (2017)

Quote:
On the eve of retirement a middle class, judgmental snob discovers her husband has been having an affair with her best friend and is forced into exile with her bohemian sister who lives on an impoverished inner-city council estate.

Look, I was on a little holiday and I was looking for a movie one night to watch, yes the type I don't normally watch..... It wasn't too bad but not good either so once is enough..

5/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-31-2018 10:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kong: Skull Island (2017)

Quote:
A team of scientists explore an uncharted island in the Pacific, venturing into the domain of the mighty Kong, and must fight to escape a primal Eden.

Again, on a little holiday and chanced to view a movie I wouldn't normally pay at the cinema to see, now glad I didn't :rolleyes:
The premise OK, the CGI OK but the acting! Who were they again?

6/10

IMDB

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 06-01-2018 04:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last Jedi

nsfghwuiwefr4u4ffbs/10

would un34rngf34gffu4fb again :|

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 06-01-2018 06:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched the last Jedi then went to see Solo at theaters. I enjoyed Solo more than the last Jedi.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-01-2018 01:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
Avengers 3 - 9/10

best marvel movie yet? loved the structure. cap is boring as fuck. drax kills it.

black panther - 6/10

boring. no real tension and a bond/car-chase sequence in the middle that felt like just a filler. i think they should have used that act to add some more depth to the "wakanda first(?)" aspect/discussion.

Agree 100%

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-01-2018 01:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri - 9/10

Really good film, very dark yet very funny. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Frances McDormand was brilliant.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-01-2018 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Passengers (2016)

Don't know if I posted a review in this topic on this movie but I am here to say I enjoyed it for the 2nd time the other night.

Quote:
A spacecraft traveling to a distant colony planet and transporting thousands of people has a malfunction in its sleep chambers. As a result, two passengers are awakened 90 years early.

Jennifer Lawrence from The Hunger Games and Chris Pratt from Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) did a pretty good job with a fairly believable plot...
Yes, given the opportunity it is worth a view.
7.5/10

IMDB - Passengers[/quote]

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-06-2018 10:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Pext wrote:
Avengers 3 - 9/10

best marvel movie yet? loved the structure.

cap is boring as fuck. drax kills it

black panther - 6/10

boring. no real tension

a bond/car-chase sequence in the middle that felt like just a filler. i think they should have used that act to add some more depth to the "wakanda first(?)" aspect/discussion.

Agree

100%

F.t.f.y. :cool:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-22-2018 02:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Incredibles 2: 6.5/10
Not particularly memorable and nowhere near as good as the first.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 06-22-2018 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I, Tonya
Well worth the watch, with good performances all-round and an interesting insight in to one of the all-time great sporting scandals.
Definitely doesn't glamourise the events or the personalities involved, whilst still allowing the viewer to empathise with them all.
Damn funny too.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.