Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Star Trek is brilliant I reckon.

Go give it yer money, please :(

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brilliant? lol no.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's atleast on par with Voyage Home, which was also brilliant.

Which also means

Wrath of Khan > Undiscovered Country > Voyage Home / Search for Spock >... making this film the best Star Trek since TOS crew, although I am a little conflicted on where to put First Contact.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
It's atleast on par with Voyage Home, which was also brilliant.

Which also means

Wrath of Khan > Undiscovered Country > Voyage Home / Search for Spock >... making this film the best Star Trek since TOS crew, although I am a little conflicted on where to put First Contact.

I too like The Voyage Home (1986) so if the new one is on par I am happy. I do hope to see it this week

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think at worst it's better than Into Darkness, let us know what you think Whisk I knows you love the Trek :up:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 11:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whut? Are you trolling? Star Trek was totally and utterly pap.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-05-2016 11:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phantasmagoria wrote:

I am yet to see so please, no spoiler :tear: :tear:

Me, this afternoon I caught up with a classic The Eagle Has Landed (1976)
You must have seen it, surely? A great war movie of the 1970's IMHO and well before any CGI :smirk:
Michael Caine plays a brilliant part and worth an piece of your lifetime. Donald Sutherland and Robert Duvall portrayed their parts well but watch for Larry Hagman (Colonel Pitts ).

Blown to pieces by his own grenade.

Quote:
Oberst Steiner (Michael Caine), a German parachute unit commander, is sent to England on a covert mission to kidnap Prime Minister Winston Churchill and bring him to Berlin. The seemingly impossible assignment becomes more and more feasible as the mission grows nearer with Steiner and his men arriving in England to a very real possibility of success.

Watch it!
8.5/10
IMDB

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm high ?, Generations is in the bottom 3 of Star Trek movies. Sure I'll watch it but it's terrible.

TNG crew couldn't come close to TOS 'big 4' n all and I'm pretty sure WoK is only bumped down lists now because it's become almost pop culture.

phantasmagoria wrote:

Lies. This is the 1st one of the 3 reboots that stands on its own and it stands pretty tall imo. It's become it's own thing. Brilliant :D

You still can't treat it like normal Trek, there's just too much action and that's obviously a remit of the studio but this one had a proper unconvoluted Star Trek plot that tied up pretty nicely which you could hang some good action scenes off of that, surprisingly, ended up working imo.

I reckon Pegg introduced some of the comedy too in the writing and that gave it an extra dynamic that I enjoyed and helped me swallow some of the action scenes, it's what made me think of Voyage Home. The other 2 for what they were portraying took themselves way too seriously.

These nerds agree too

The fact that none of you nerds liked it prolly means that Star Trek is dead, I'm just sat here on my own with the paddles.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-06-2016 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Schindler's List (1993)

Yes the Liam Neeson, Ben Kingsley & Ralph Fiennes movie.
I searched Q3W and apparently never mentioned :smirk:

Quote:
Storyline
Oskar Schindler is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who becomes an unlikely humanitarian amid the barbaric German Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp, it is a testament to the good in all of us

If you haven't seen it is worth your time.
Excellent 8.5/10

IMDB

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-07-2016 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Almost Famous 9/10

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-07-2016 10:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was flicking through these, some of them are funny as fuck but this one -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DT7sSp ... dDbzo_GZ-L

The 1st 3 mins or so pretty much explains the problem I have with a lot of movies 'these days'.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-07-2016 12:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I Am Legend
Okay / 10

A decent run-of-the-mill zombie flick. Expected it to be more about him getting delusional out of loneliness though, especially after the bit with the misplaced mannequin. Stayed pretty shallow after that though, never really diving deep into his psyche. Guess I expected toouch from a Will Smith movie, even though he did quite well for the type of movie it ended up being.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-07-2016 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I think at worst it's better than Into Darkness, let us know what you think Whisk I knows you love the Trek :up:

Just got back from watching.
I personally and thoroughly enjoyed but then as above "Whisk I knows you love the Trek".
A high score I know, but for me it it ticked all the boxes.
9/10

I still wonder why, with all their technology on such a massive space station, the 'Yorktown', they just couldn't teleport the alien and his weapon into space? Then we suspend all belief :smirk: when we see the movies don't we.

For those that follow, an interesting read here
http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/star-t ... _content=2

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-07-2016 08:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The new Trek wasn't anything ground breaking, the beastie boys music didn't fit and the entire last half of the movie was soooooo predictable. The visuals were great though.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-07-2016 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The last part of the movie was the bestest bit, it's where the crew come together and use what happened in the first half of the movie to save the day,
plus Kirk got to grow, face his own self doubt at becoming somewhat jaded with Starfleet having Edison as his cautionary tale, and Spock with finding his place. They all did !, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty, McCoy, Chekov (RIP), even Jaylah.

:D

Well in n all Whisky !, knew you wouldn't let me down. I was going to write a 1000 reasons why this movie was good but it'd be too long. Watch the half in the bag review I posted though, thx for the linky :up:

I loved this shot too

The Beastie Boys music n all, if you told me about it before the film I promise that I wouldn't have watched it - in the cinema.

"But it's great", someone would say, "Fuck off" would be the response. When it started though I ended up smiling, it harked back to Trek 09 and was already established earlier on with Fight the Power playing. I think the light touch comedy helped me swallow it too, It worked for me is what I'm tryna say :shrug:

Also, it was actually referencing itself now. They done it with the Kelvin pods on the bridge too, awww it's all grown up

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-10-2016 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

London has Fallen - 6/10

on par with Olympus has Fallen

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-10-2016 01:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Evil Dead (1981)
in its non-cut shape has finally been unbanned in Germany.
It has been a satire, a farce that this one movie went onto and stayed on the ban-list since around it came out. And that it has been kept there for decades for reasons we don't know. The bureau can't be wrong, so it has to stay on the ban-list...
(the ban-list means it was permitted to own a copy of the uncut movie. You would go to jail for owning one. Not showing, just owning.)
I'd call it a pretty big deal to our system that used to be completely unconsistant.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I Am Legend
Okay / 10

A decent run-of-the-mill zombie flick. Expected it to be more about him getting delusional out of loneliness though, especially after the bit with the misplaced mannequin. Stayed pretty shallow after that though, never really diving deep into his psyche. Guess I expected toouch from a Will Smith movie, even though he did quite well for the type of movie it ended up being.

The original cinema cut kinda misses the point of the original story.
At the end of the book, there's a neat twist where it's explained that the protagonist has become the monster that the vampires fear, as he is the one that kills them in their sleep; his death is necessary in order to protect the families of the newly ascendant vampire race. He is the boogeyman.

Oh yeah, and it was vampires, not zombies in the book.

If I remember correctly, there was an alternate ending which I found much more satisfying than the cinematic cut. He survives, but the message is still much closer to that of the book.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 02:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Vampires would make a shit ton more sense as I was wondering why they chose to keep all the zombies in the shadows. Did they mention the newly ascended race in the film though ?. That ending would seem kinda odd to me as all I remembering seeing were zombies trying to fuck shit up.

But even in the context that they're some new race (like Xmen ?) would that still make no sense ?, I mean the zombies / vampires wanted to mindlessly kill us and our families so why would you want to sacrifice yourself or species for another ?.

I'd get it if they were portrayed with feelings or understanding like but that's a world I never got to see (but a story I probaly would've preferred) and even then, why not just stop killing ?, he didn't have to go all General Custer. I just remember it being a straight forward action flick.

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oops

Last edited by feedback on 08-12-2016 10:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 06:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you're smilin' :) bet you had a wild n.. hmm. ooh.. ugghh.. nevermind

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 08:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure feedback is grabbing his ass...

PostPosted: 08-12-2016 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol oops, meant to post that in the other thread

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-12-2016 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sure you were ;)

btw, have you tried garra rufa ?

PostPosted: 08-13-2016 01:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, but if frequently see tourists in the tanks on the side of the street. It seems like it's kinda a disadvantage to do though, because then wouldn't you have less protected feet?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 06:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
But even in the context that they're some new race (like Xmen ?) would that still make no sense ?, I mean the zombies / vampires wanted to mindlessly kill us and our families so why would you want to sacrifice yourself or species for another ?.

Yeah, again, this is a subtlety lost by the movie. Rather than try to explain the novel here, wiki's got a good breakdown of the plot, which will hopefully clear a few things up for you.
Fuck knows why Hollywood felt the need to mess with the original plot. I'd much rather have seen that than what we got. Except maybe the bullshit pulp-science explanation of how the disease came about.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-13-2016 08:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shame, It looks an entirely different story, the only relation appears to be a post apoco world and a dog ? (Fallout anyone ?)

I always thought it to be a Mad Max meets resident evil attempt, but got stuck in the middle..

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 06:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
No, but if frequently see tourists in the tanks on the side of the street. It seems like it's kinda a disadvantage to do though, because then wouldn't you have less protected feet?

but it's dead skin, getting rid of it and growing new skin cells would be more protective

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Suicide Squad

4/10

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
Suicide Squad

4/10

This movie frustrated the fuck out of me, I couldn't tell if it was any good cos it was so poorly put together so I had to google wondering wtf happened and found it littered with stuff like this -

http://screencrush.com/suicide-squad-reshoots-fun/

Basically - WBs executives were pissed at the damage done to the Batman VS Superman brand and shit themselves at the success of Deadpool. So the answer was to take Suicide Squad and re edit the film after shooting to make it more like Deadpool using the company that created the trailer - which test audiences remarked about looking fun compared to the test viewings, which sounded serious. They had re shoots n all that too costing 10s of millions.

It's why we got introduced to the characters twice in the 1st 15 mins or so, Ayers vision had a gradual introduction throughout the story and the intros are cut from those scenes - Joker apparently had an influence on the plot, that shit 'reveal' was all one scene shot at the beginning. This film was never meant to be a neon love fest.

I don't know much about Ayer's films either, but I seen Fury and that was a dark, gritty like Batman / Superman tone.

TLDR ?: The film was re edited by the production company that made the trailer, after Ayer had already finished shooting and left the project.

I'm pretty gobsmacked at the stupidity tbh. I'm hoping (but doubt) they put together an original edit that we'll get to see one day.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 10:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read about the reshoot and how much it shows in the movie. I also just read about the Joker being cut or something? Pls elaborate.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apparently the Joker had a back story that involved the prison guard at the beginning which was taunting the inmates. He was meant to have a gambling addiction and Joker uses this to get in contact with Harley. In the movie he has no influence on the plot what so ever.

All we're left with seeing is Harley (not major spoilers)

pulling her phone out her sleeve in front of like 50 guards (in prison) and then her saying "you're so fucked" to Jokers patsy guard with him going "what do you mean !, WHAT DO YOU MEAN !?". wtf did she mean ?, there's a scene that tries tying it together but it really doesn't work without knowing the original story.

That's one example tho, another is (Bigger spoiler ?)

Joker pushes Harley out the plane in the movie to look like he was saving her, when in the original shoot he was actually pushing her out to save himself

I gotta double check the facts about that one ^

My main complaint comes from the way the film is put together as its pacing is all over the place though, it'll be the 1st thing you notice when you see it with the double intro and 5 different songs.

Have you seen it ?, can't really talk too much without heavy spoilers.

Last edited by losCHUNK on 08-14-2016 11:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 11:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The production companies and studio heads should stay out of the way and let the director and talent do their thing...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-14-2016 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll see if I can dig up some links later but have a Google with stuff like Suicide Squad Editing Problems and you can get a pretty good idea from the 1st couple of links.

There's also a > suggestion < that Hollywood are recruiting a lot of no name / newish directors to force their own vision for the film production n all.

WBs films have been plagued with this shit for years. "Make superman darker" cos it worked in Batman... "Make Suicide Squad more funny" cos it worked in Deadpool...

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 08-20-2016 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Zero Theorem - 7/10

Great visuals. It was funny but sometimes felt eager to seem clever which ruins funny for me. The philosophical stuff might make me want to re-watch it. Felt like nothing was happening a lot of the time, the love interest seemed a necessary crutch to the story. Still, I liked a lot of it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.