Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 05-10-2016 09:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Top 3 easily, with Aliens and... hmm

And before you bitch, Aliens was the 1st film that I remember watching and being completely blown away. As a kid, not hard to do I know. I mean sure, there was Predator, Rambo, even Tremors, hardcore to the fuck but Aliens ?. Space marines fighting Aliens, nuking from orbit and a yellow exo-suit fighting a queen !?, with a severed android, during depressurisation, in space. Seriously, I don't think you realise what this does to the childs mind. The film should have been classified U.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-12-2016 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sawney...
Great idea but the film was boring as ish... Only the scene when the police-officer get raped by some maniacs is a bit disturbing.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 05-13-2016 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers civil war. 8/10

Its probably better than that, but I sometimes dislike. How it gets away from completing a solid scene, and using light hearted humor to get around it's limitations. Most might view this as a staple in their movie making style, but as huge fan of the latest Batman trilogy I cringe at such things.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-17-2016 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Avengers civil war 3/10

Worst Marvel flick so far i thought, though truth be told i wasn't a giant fan of the earlier ones either (yet i love watching them all the same, guess i'm a bit of a masochist like that).

Basically this one is an hour and a half of waiting for the scene they're oh so obviously building up to, but jesus fucking christ once you get there it was hardly worth the wait. There's no plot to speak of, the dialogue is cringeworthy and absolutely none of it makes an iota of sense. Then comes Ant Man and bam, it's suddenly funny for a while - until he goes away and just as suddenly it goes back to boring. Sooo boring. As in, i fell asleep for a while boring. Turned it off after the scene at the airport, maybe it becomes great after that, no idea.

Deadpool was a masterpiece compared to this.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-17-2016 08:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fell asleep, woke up and wondered what happened to the plot....k

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 05-17-2016 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not in that order.

See it for yourself and be amazed!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-29-2016 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Big Short - 7/10 - how Wall St fucked the global economy, told entertainingly

Inside Job - 8/10 - how Wall St fucked the global economy, told less entertainingly, but with a lot more factual detail

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 05-29-2016 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

been on a bit of a bobby canavalle kick since vinyl. Saw the Station Agent (Peter Dinklage) and Win Win then watched Danny Collins. I'd recommend all of them.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 06-07-2016 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Revenant (2015)

I liked it :up:

Amazing cinematography from Emmanuel Lubezki (Gravity, Birdman).

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 06-09-2016 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rewatched Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, Boyz N The Hood. All recommended.

Saw Magnolia for the first time. Good flick but I expected something a bit more profound due to the hype. Great performances.

Chef 2014. Jon Favreau flick, I like it but it's a pretty conventional story.

Spy, comedic spy movie with a chubby woman as the hero. Certain people here should probably avoid this movie as it might trigger their misogyny. Written by Paul Feig. Pretty funny...

Horace and Pete- not a movie, it's Louis C.K.'s 10 episode series which he produced himself in order to have complete creative control. Not a comedy (although there is some funny stuff here and there). Highly recommended but only if you're up for something dark. Stellar cast.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 05:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Caught a couple films on the plane:

Horrible Bosses 2 - 7/10 Pretty funny. Jason Bateman's delivery get me every time :D

Kingsman - 8/10 I didn't think I'd like it as much as I did. My only complaint was killing off
Firth
. He was really the best part of the film and it'll be hard for the sequel to top it without him...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-11-2016 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-19-2016 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zootopia
Really funny animation flick :up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 07-01-2016 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Independence Day is basically Stargate without the gate :olo:

Treat it as such and it becomes epic ;p

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 07-02-2016 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Rewatched Adaptation

Very underrated film :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-02-2016 09:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 Cloverfield Lane

6/10

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 07-02-2016 10:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zootopia - 7/10
It was ok. Stoked for one of my fellow classmates from back in middle school who wanted to work in animated films; she's listed in the credits for this film. She's a programmer but I'm unclear on what her responsibilities are concerning her job.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 12:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Deadpool - 7/10 - one of the few costume superhero movies that doesn't suck, alongside Watchmen and The Dark Knight. made me LOL, which is as much as one can expect from a comedy

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 12:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hunt (Jagden) 8/10
Powerful skandinavian movie starring Mads Mikkelsen as a Kindergarten caretaker who is wrongfully accused of child molestation and the small town he lives in turning against him.
Already a bit older. Awesome ensemble of a cast, great script and great directing. The last 3 minutes or so kept me from giving it a 9.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah the hunt was excellent!. Although I don't think the last few minutes of it did it any disservice.

Semi-spoiler:

The ending goes to show you that such accusations are difficult to retract. Sure we was accepted back into the community for the most part , but the mere mention of paedophilia is enough to blind some people.

And I find that to be a fairly accurate depiction.

He Will never truly be accepted. Without those last few minites, the film loses its entire premise, the story would feel incomplete, watered down and overly simplified.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been some months since I've seen it so my memory could be wrong.
As far as I remember the scene inside the hunters' hall already showed very well that he was not yet accepted by some of the townsfolk and will never be again by others. That scene is brilliant and again showes that great team-work of the ensemble. What I was rather referring to is
a scene after that one when he's alone in the woods, seperated from his son. He is standing next to a tree and all of a sudden a shot rings and he jerks and looks around frantically but there is noone there. Then he looks at the tree and there is no bullet mark.

I thought that last scene was confusing, not necessary and a little over the top.

Edit: OK, i just rewatched that scene and noticed I had it confused :). The thing that confuses me about the scene is that in the very last seconds you cannot really tell what it is that moves away. It could just be a deer and the shot was just in his imagination. There is clearly a bullet hitting the tree, though.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 07:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trash

Really good Brazilian flick from 2014. The stars are three kids but it's got Wagner Moura and Martin Sheen in it too.

I definitely recommend this one.

Magnum Force 1973 The second(?) Dirty Harry movie. Clint is a badass.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
It's been some months since I've seen it so my memory could be wrong.
As far as I remember the scene inside the hunters' hall already showed very well that he was not yet accepted by some of the townsfolk and will never be again by others. That scene is brilliant and again showes that great team-work of the ensemble. What I was rather referring to is
a scene after that one when he's alone in the woods, seperated from his son. He is standing next to a tree and all of a sudden a shot rings and he jerks and looks around frantically but there is noone there. Then he looks at the tree and there is no bullet mark.

I thought that last scene was confusing, not necessary and a little over the top.

Edit: OK, i just rewatched that scene and noticed I had it confused :). The thing that confuses me about the scene is that in the very last seconds you cannot really tell what it is that moves away. It could just be a deer and the shot was just in his imagination. There is clearly a bullet hitting the tree, though.

Yeah sbeen awhile since I watched it too. I might have to rewatch the end b4 I can comment more. But if it was portrayed as no clear as to what happened in the end, it might be to show his own tainted sense of trust for the community that so easily turned on him.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Star from 1974, what a crap :D :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-03-2016 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
Dark Star from 1974, what a crap :D :D

The author of the script says that the script for this movie was the first draft for Alien, the famous movie. It sounds ridiculous but actually it does make sense. You can watch some of his ranting on YT.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-05-2016 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After Earth (2013)

Quote:
A crash landing leaves Kitai Raige and his father Cypher stranded on Earth, a millennium after events forced humanity's escape. With Cypher injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help.

You know I am into sci-fi: I enjoyed this even if it was a little slow and I am glad I didn't pay at the cinema to see it.
Two lead parts played by Will Smith and son Jaden.

One thing still stumps me, why a blade and not a blaster?

If you like sci-fi watch it otherwise steer clear.
5/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-09-2016 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Independence Day (1996)

Yes, the original. I haven't see a post here for the new one so I thought to re-watch the original before going off to see the new one, Independence Day: Resurgence (2016).

Only the second time I've seen the original and yes, it wasn't bad at all.
Looking forward to Resurgence :)

8/10

IMDB

EDIT: Hope to see it within hours.... I checked the local theatres (American spelling :offended: ) and find it has gone 'off the charts' somewhat and only on afternoons....

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 07-12-2016 02:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-11-2016 01:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Bourne Identity (2002)

I am going through the Bourne movies and watched the first again last night.

Quote:
A man is picked up by a fishing boat, bullet-riddled and suffering from amnesia, before racing to elude assassins and regain his memory.

Entertaining 8/10

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-12-2016 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Yes the second :smirk: as if I needed to tell you. I hear some say that it is all about CGI these days but it was entertaining and well worth watching.

You will see it 8/10

IMDB

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 07-13-2016 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pusher (1996)

Danish movie made by the guy who directed Bronson and Drive. Two balls up.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-15-2016 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The pilot for "Preacher", a US series based on a graphic novel. Looks interesting. Really far out, though. The weirdest characters, horror-fantasy-mystery kinda theme. Will have an eye on.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-19-2016 08:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Our Kind of Traitor (2016)
Quote:
Storyline...
When Peter and his girlfriend, Gail, cross paths with the charismatic Dima on their Moroccan holiday, the forceful Russian is quick to challenge Peter to a friendly game of tennis. But this innocuous contest is not all it seems - Dima is a long-time servant of the Russian mafia, whose new boss, 'The Prince', wants him and his family dead. His only hope is to ask the unsuspecting Peter to broker him sanctuary with the British intelligence services, in return for exposing a vein of corruption that runs right to the heart of the City of London. Soon they find themselves on a tortuous journey through Paris to a safe house in the Swiss Alps and, with the might of the Russian mafia closing in, begin to realise this particular match has the highest stakes of all...

Ewan McGregor and Naomie Harris were great in their role but Stellan Skarsgård was exceptional IMO.
I'd say this is the best drama movie I have seen in some time so if you get the chance watch it.
9/10

IMDB

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 07-20-2016 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your Highness - 8/10

I expected nothing but was pretty entertained. Not over the top funny but a thing to enjoy with a beer on a slow sunday evening. For what the movie wants to achieve, it is done incredibly well: One of the better spoofs I've seen. The script is very simple but en par with the average marvel movie. Again: Since this is a genre spoof, you can't have a nonstandard plot.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-20-2016 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Bourne Identity (2002)
The Bourne Supremacy (2004)

I have the Blu-Ray box set :D so I have set about watching before I head out the the new release Jason Bourne (2016) here on 28 July. You know the story-line and all I can add is, if you haven't seen these you must 8/10.

*Yet to watch The Bourne Ultimatum (2007) and The Bourne Legacy (2012)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-22-2016 08:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Star Trek: Beyond - 6/10

meh

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.