Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-03-2021 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An oldie, older than me :)

Roman Holiday (1953)

Quote:
Stars: Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn, Eddie Albert

A bored and sheltered princess escapes her guardians and falls in love with an American newsman in Rome.

I enjoyed and remembered this bit for years ago.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-04-2021 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hidden Figures (2016)

This has been on my watch list and I finally got to view. Not too bad at all. Thinks the early days of the space race and human computors (intentional spelling).
Yea, watch it given the chance :up:

I was surprised to see Jim Parsons in what I thought was a challenging role.

IMDB

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 04-06-2021 02:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Father Goose
Haven't seen this one in ages, I had forgotten how good this one was

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058092/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-09-2021 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, that one but on my new big screen OLED :D The detail, the vibrant colours :up: Did I mention the astounding detail?

To be honest, I have never seen anything quite like it, truly and this was the first Blu Ray on the new telly. I look forward to other Blu Ray DVDs that haven't seen the light of day in years. Aliens is next :)

Question: Why 3D TVs are dead?
My old Samsung had 3D tech and I watched this same Avatar Blu Ray DVD in 3D just after release but last night was astounding :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 10:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am yet to put Aliens in the Blu-Ray player but caught this today.

All Quiet On The Western Front, the 1979 version.

Yes, worth your view.

IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just scanning the highlights again and say, if you haven't you should :up:

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 04-17-2021 03:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just watched Nobody.

Cool action movie, along the same lines as John Wick, with Bob Odendirk of Better Call Saul / Breaking Bad in the lead role.

His physical presence isn't up there with Keanu's, but his acting chops are far superior.

And in certain scenes, the action feels a lot more raw and realistic thanks to Odendirk's relative lack of physical precision when compared to Keanu.
Odendirk's character feels like an improvisational scrapper compared to Keanu's perfect assassin.

I'm certainly getting weirded out by the Yanks once again falling back on the old Russian bad guy trope though. It feels like tacky propaganda at this point, much like the anti-Commie sentiment in Cold War media.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-17-2021 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just had to sat thank you for the reminder Mat Linnett. This was on my 'to watch list' and now I am 20 minutes in and enjoying. Commie bashing is obvious as in the John Wick movies but who else makes for better bad guys in this genre?

The M18A1 Claymore anti-personnel mine on the nightclub table, classic.

I enjoyed!
8/10

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-17-2021 09:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bob Odenkirk in a John Wick style action movie? lol, gotta see that, because I just can't imagine Odenkirk in an action movie ;)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-17-2021 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Bob Odenkirk in a John Wick style action movie? lol, gotta see that, because I just can't imagine Odenkirk in an action movie ;)

It is good, trust me. A little slow to start but ends well :up:
BTW, I suspected that tattoo on his left forearm (Hutch/Bob Odenkirk) straight away and when the 'customer' said "Thank you for your service" I knew how this was about to unfold. Classic!

Really good and as said..
Mat Linnett wrote:
.........Odendirk's character feels like an improvisational scrapper compared to Keanu's perfect assassin..............

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-19-2021 11:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Capricorn One (1977)

An oldie but a goodie and worth a view. Been years since I viewed, still value.

Quote:
When the first manned flight to Mars is deemed unsafe and scrubbed on the launch pad, anxious authorities must scramble to save face and retain their funding - and so an unthinkable plot to fake the mission is hatched.

IMDB.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Eraser wrote:

It is good, trust me. A little slow to start but ends well :up:
BTW, I suspected that tattoo on his left forearm (Hutch/Bob Odenkirk) straight away and when the 'customer' said "Thank you for your service" I knew how this was about to unfold. Classic!

Really good and as said..
Mat Linnett wrote:
.........Odendirk's character feels like an improvisational scrapper compared to Keanu's perfect assassin..............

Just watched Nobody this weekend and it was a worthy rent even at the heftier fee. I enjoyed the fresh entertainment. Christopher Lloyd and RZA's characters were also great additions to the story. Loved it!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[quote="Whiskey 7"]All Quiet On The Western Front

Anything written or filmed upon this is worth reading or watching.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rams (2020)

A true Australian movie :D so if your get the opportunity, give it a go :up:

Quote:
Storyline

In remote Western Australia, two estranged brothers, Colin (Sam Neill) and Les (Michael Caton), are at war. Raising separate flocks of sheep descended from their family's prized bloodline, the two men work side by side yet are worlds apart. When Les's prize ram is diagnosed with a rare and lethal illness, authorities order a purge of every sheep in the valley. While Colin attempts to stealthily outwit the powers that be, Les opts for angry defiance. But can the warring brothers set aside their differences and have a chance to reunite their family, save their herd, and bring their community back together?

IMDB and the trailer for your viewing pleasure.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
All Quiet On The Western Front

Anything written or filmed upon this is worth reading or watching.

I stumbled across the 1930 version just yesterday :) but yet to view.

IMDB

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-22-2021 02:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Justice League - Snyder Cut - 7/10

So much better than the original release. Coherent story rather than feeling like a collection of shorts glued together, visually more appealing and just better in pretty much every way. Pity they won't be following on with anything else (for now....)

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-23-2021 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Rams (2020)

Quote:
Storyline

In remote Western Australia, two estranged brothers, Colin (Sam Neill) and Les (Michael Caton), are at war. Raising separate flocks of sheep descended from their family's prized bloodline, the two men work side by side yet are worlds apart. When Les's prize ram is diagnosed with a rare and lethal illness, authorities order a purge of every sheep in the valley. While Colin attempts to stealthily outwit the powers that be, Les opts for angry defiance. But can the warring brothers set aside their differences and have a chance to reunite their family, save their herd, and bring their community back together?

Whiskey, I watched this based on your recommendation. It was pretty good, thanks. Michael Caton and Sam Neil were especially good.

Saw, Nobody. Would highly recommend.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 04-23-2021 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Rams (2020)

Quote:
Storyline

:D This is the kind of movie I would never choose based on the plot synopsis, but if it came on the TV at 10:30pm on a thursday night I'd end up watching it to the end..

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-23-2021 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Yes, that one but on my new big screen OLED :D The detail, the vibrant colours :up: Did I mention the astounding detail?

My reference for video and audio is the blue-ray of Baraka.

Imo, it's got the best colours, contrast, sound-mix ever. And the story is quite as good as Avatar :sly: . It doesn't have a story to speak of.

It's similar to Kojaanisqatsi.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-23-2021 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Rams (2020)

I've read about that one. It's a remake of a scandinavian or icelandic movie, I think.
The critics said it didn't catch the cold humour of the original.
Thank you, I had the original kind of in my mind. Forgot about it.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-24-2021 08:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nobody was fantastic, way better than John Wick because it didn't take itself seriously at all. Also <3 Christopher Lloyd <3

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-07-2021 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mortal Kombat.

I had pretty low expectations since Hollywood never does a good adaptation of video games in movies, but was pleasantly surprised. The action is fantastic, the acting is... well... not so bad if you overlook some of the cringey lines shoehorned from the game. My main criticism would be that they had a rather poor way of introducing characters, there's too many of them and many feel like afterthoughts.

First 7 minutes:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-08-2021 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Courier (2020)

Yes, the Benedict Cumberbatch Russian spy movie of late and based on true story in the early 1960's around the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Quote:
Cold War spy Greville Wynne and his Russian source try to put an end to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Not too bad at all.
8/10

Greville Wynne ~ Wiki
IMDB

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-08-2021 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sicario (2015)

Very interesting. I've been wanting to check it out for years. What an insight and yes I know it's a movie.
8/10

IMDB

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-09-2021 12:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wrath of Man
Absolute garbage but it has Jason Stathom to carry it.
3/10 for the one actual action scene it decided to include in a revenge film.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-09-2021 02:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow really? That’s disappointing. With Guy Richie and Statham, I would have expected better.

It has a 7.5 on IMDb. You might be the minority here...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-09-2021 08:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ghost in the Shell (1995), always a classic, always 10/10.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-10-2021 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Wow really? That’s disappointing. With Guy Richie and Statham, I would have expected better.

It has a 7.5 on IMDb. You might be the minority here...

It's possible I am but I doubt it... if it didn't have Guy Richie's name attached to it I don't think the critics would have been nearly as kind. The film dragged pretty hard, the dialogue was just horrible (but I was expecting stupid camp from the film so I'm overlooking the dialogue), there were like three stories in the film trying to be told and all of them were executed poorly.
Give it a watch if you feel like it.

(They should have named the film 'Dark Spirit')

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-12-2021 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Mortal Kombat.....................

I took the few minutes to view as it wasn't really 'my cup of tea' but it looks like it might be well worth investing a view :)
Thanks for the prompt obsidian :up: I will find it somewhere to view.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 05:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (2018)

Just had to see a follow on of sorts.

I really liked the scene where they use sign language about half way through the movie as it feels rare to be surprised there days.

Yea, good. 8/10

IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-14-2021 11:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Sicario (2015)

10/10

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-21-2021 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Truely astonishing camera-work and editing. Story is just a by-product here, imo. Stil 8/10.

Underwater
This could have been way worse. But it's pretty good actually, 6.5/10. Those .5 are for delwing into the Lovecraftian realm.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-22-2021 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2021 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Highwaymen (2019)

Quote:
The untold true story of the legendary detectives who brought down Bonnie and Clyde.

Really enjoyable :up:
9/10

IMDB

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-23-2021 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hotel Inferno II.

There is trash.
Then there is absurd trash.
And then there is Hotel Inferno Part 2.
Made by the italian Necrostorm-Productions comes a "horror"- movie that defies classification.
It's not so bad that it is good. It is just awefully bad.

Recorded in POV-style it features a lot of bad practical effects mixed in with obvious CGI-splatter, non-existent story and, well, nothing else.
I could understand the english voice-actors and generally the audio was quite good.

I made it 25 minutes in before I had to stop it.

WTF 2/10 for the effort.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.