Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Question for any of you who have taken/are taking biology...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Question for any of you who have taken/are taking biology...

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you remember any specific aspects of it that you found particularly confusing or difficult?
At times it can be easy to gloss over things you incorrectly assume people will find straightforward.

Just doing a little informal survey here.

PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I might take it next semester. I've looked at my friend's notes... looks hard with all the shit they have to memorize :(

Internet is serious business
Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Make sure you go over muscle systems (myosin/actin/various kinds of lines) so it's clear to everyone how they work. And I still don't know how to answer questions about elecrophoresis.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gel electrophoresis? It's not too bad to understand at its most basic level...basically lets you separate molecules based on their mass as they fall through a gel matrix...

Toxic: A key mistake many people make is approaching biology as simple memorization. Yes, there is a lot of memorization to master the basic vocabulary, etc., but it is the ability to apply that basic knowledge that most students have trouble with. Open ended questions regarding things like experimental design, data interpretation, etc...those tend to be what really get people.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://arbl.cvmbs.colostate.edu/hbooks/ ... iples.html

Pretty simple explanation of the procedure..

PostPosted: 02-17-2005 09:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't like that sort of course, like bio and chem. I like math and physics where I can figure everything out by logic and basic rules.

Swiller of Beer
Swiller of Beer
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 10:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember in 8th grade a kid asked "What if a dog and a cat..." and the teacher said "Won't work."

It all became clearer then :)

canis
canis
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What grade level? In high school, learning the point the metabolic pathways was irritating. There seemed to be no overlieing picture in which I could apply the concepts. This was always a factor for me. For example, they always present cells as these organized structures that have specific pathways for molecules to go and be processed. In reality it's more of a soup in which concentrations and gradients drive the various reactions. This takes some imagination when you've been presented with blocky diagrams that represent protein interactions your whole life. The perspective of the processes are all out of whack.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-17-2005 10:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Genetics .. everything else was pretty straight forward.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 12:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yea I'm with canis - i think it's much more important to facilitate the big picture in the minds of the students, before cramming high resolution details of isolated processes into their heads.

EYE gee EM!
EYE gee EM!
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tnf, I think answering this question depends a lot on individual experience, but I'll try anyway...

For me, I think context had a lot to do with how well I learned something; glossing over some things in high school didn't teach me much, but it gave me a footing when I had to focus specifically on the same subjects in college.

In high school, metabolism was a bitch, but when I learned it in biochem during college, it made far more sense (probably because we learned the specific chemical pathways, instead of abstract explanations like "the electrons go down a series of 'waterfalls' and release energy"). If students have a grasp of organic chemistry (which they probably don't), I'd suggest teaching the chemical pathways instead of just memorizing names of pyruvic acid and the net result of ATP. It's like physics: just because I know the diagram for "particle in a box" doesn't mean I understand quantum mechanics.

It was kind of the same with renal physiology -- once I relearned it in more detail in college, it made sense, but this was another tough one for me in HS.

Some things I never fully grasped because I didn't devote as much time to: neurobiology (but only with the CNS, not the PNS oddly enough), botany and some ecology. In high school, I know a LOT of people had a hard time with botany -- probably because it's so far removed from vertebrate physiology, yet it was included in the basic science classes. It's not that it's confusing -- it just doesn't get used enough to warrent a detailed approach. God knows I have little use for it.

That's all I could think of off the top of my head. Sorry for the long post. Hope it helps. :icon17:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-18-2005 06:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not really
genetics was fucking easy, too. a lot of people got really confuzzled dealing with that crap
homoos

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.