Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Verizon FIOS internet

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Verizon FIOS internet

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anybody got this yet? I have been going through a list of phone numbers in the tampa area trying to find which ones do and don't so I can decide where to live. So far a few do......god I can't wait to move.

The service is incredible: 10MBps down, 2MBps up for basic package - 39.95 or so per month. Fucking incredible.

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/ch ... orHome.asp

I can not wait to get this.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

56k is enuf.

PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's funny is on the site they say 'you'll never go back to dial up'

well no shit who would

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

39.95 or so? Great, I'ma sign up for something that says "39.95 or so".

PostPosted: 02-19-2005 06:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SplishSplash wrote:
39.95 or so? Great, I'ma sign up for something that says "39.95 or so".

well i can't remember the price off the top of my head

that's why there is a link. click it.

BLARG
BLARG
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you know andyman is a palindrome for "gayman" if you switch the n and the g and drop the d?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

inconscionable!

rep
rep
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

30MBps for $199 with a 5MBps upload?

Sounds like an excellent plan for hosting.

Too bad they make the promise of real-time gaming when it's just DSL and bandwidth has nothing to do with ping time.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Loads of ISPs seem to use that hook and yeah, unless comparing against PSTN connections, that *is* bullshit.

Not that the above sentence somehow indemnifies them, mind.

EDIT: *IS* it just DSL though? Fiber networks end to end are indeed faster delay-wise than DSL connections. In which case their claim may be valid.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

EDIT 2 (This time it's so edit we had to make it a whole new post).

This FiOS thing seems to be fiber-to-doorstep. No telephone wire, no DSLAMs. Instagaming looks like a possibility.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 02-19-2005 07:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

This FiOS thing seems to be fiber-to-doorstep. No telephone wire, no DSLAMs. Instagaming looks like a possibility.

We'll see. There was a service back in 1999 from Sprint that offered 9MBps and claimed it was excellent for gaming, but it was horrible. Also, there was a strange microwave based service in my area years ago that had 10MBps down but you had to use a phone line (33.6) for the upload. When you put all the figures together, the 1 minute it took for the response time factored in with the (theoretical) 10MBps download speed, it would be the same as just getting the traditional 3/512 cable line.

I'm on 5MBps/1MB with only one other person on my entire node, and I'm 500 feet from the pack of OC92s or whatever the big pipe is that the company uses that branches across country. Translation? Speed.

I'm only paying for 4MBps too. :) Rape.

Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
Bbbllrrrrzzppp!!
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 03:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When I was on the wireless broadband... I was connected wirelessly to an aerial on the water tower... that was then connected to an aerial, login system and router on the industrial estate on the other side of town... that was then connected to a fibre optic cable, PHAT, optic cable running straight to london, through the docks, over to germany/france... back round into sizewell in the east coast of england here, back through into my town ect... creating a full circle.

And I cant get cable broadband because the company who owns the cable wont do it. I think the cable was layed down by cable and wireless and they sold it I think. Or something like that anyway, cant get cable basicaly.

PostPosted: 02-20-2005 04:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

That's what I was saying

I talked to people who have it and they download off newsgroups at a constant 1.8MBps. And it's full duplex too

Black Magic
Black Magic
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 04:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We are unable to check Fios availability and process orders due to a system error. Please try again later.

If this problem continues, please call your local Verizon business office to speak with a Verizon Online representative.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 02-20-2005 06:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rep wrote:
30MBps for $199 with a 5MBps upload?

Sounds like an excellent plan for hosting.

Too bad they make the promise of real-time gaming when it's just DSL and bandwidth has nothing to do with ping time.

But if they put that kind of language in the contract, you can hassle them enough to change your routing and improve your pings.

edit: It's not available in my area. I doubt it will be for a while.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.