Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Items or entities that could be created

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Items or entities that could be created

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are there any in game items or entity types missing from Quake 3 that you think should be added? I'm mainly interested in gameplay but technical ideas would also be interesting to hear.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Double Jump:
    This might really be hilarious in the RL shootout. Suddenly all the ledges that are not "jumpable", even for a skilled trick-jumper, would be accessible, to your average "fun" gamer. Bit too UT'ish maybe... but might be interesting. I'd love that item for FFA. Note: You would *not* need to do the annoying double-tap, a simple jump would catapult you twice as high.

Scuba Gear:
    In maps with a lot of water - not many out there I know - the player would be able to swim twice as quickly and would not have to come up for air, for a limited time.

Vampire:
    :q2: Lithium mod classic: Part of the damage you cause on the opponent, replenishes your own health. Who will ever forget the Strength + Vampire + RL fragfests in the small :q2: maps.

Pentagram of Protection:
    Another classic, limited invulnerability. From what I can tell this would be *really* useful for CTF gameplay, but would need to be carefully balanced, obviously.

BTW: What makes you ask? Working on a Q3 mod or Q3-recode?

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cement launcher ftw. :drool:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 09:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much what AEon said. Vampire and Pentagram were awesome.

How about wall walking? Not really an item or entity but a feature where you can walk on walls or the ceiling. I wrote a hypothetical how-to a few years ago but never actually got around to trying to implement it. I think misantropia gave it a shot but I'm not 100 percent certain about that.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Func_breakable, that can be respawned again and triggered. Could be used both for gameplay and also decoration.
Annoyed that Q3 misses this one.

To be honest, there's a lot, most things graphical though...

What I would love to see is a mode, similar, well exactly as Assault in Unreal Tournament and Tournament 2003/4. It's very fun for TP and it's a shame that Epic (ofc) fucked it over in "3".

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-29-2009 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good stuff so far, keep going. =)

AEon: ideas for a project I'm involved in.

Anything more subtle? Something I've always thought would add options for mappers is a half-mega item that adds +50 health and can take you over 100.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scripting? I'm looking at what sock is doing and can't help but think that if he had a scripting language to do what he's trying to do, it'll simplify the work by like, 100000%

You might want to describe a little more about what makes your mod different though, scripting may be used more in one type of map than others. I can see it being used in a limited extent on a CTF or something but not so much on a DM.

Oh... better func entities, like rotating doors, rotating objects that will only rotate a certain number of degrees before oscillating back, etc.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

While we are at it...

Some entities that let the player control the bot behavior to some degree:
  • Suggest rocket jumps (from/to).
  • Tell bot to jump (from/to), e.g. to overcame normal gaps. This would make quite a few maps more visually dangerous, because the bots would actually overcome acid pits or other gaps.
  • ... (there were other things, hmmm) ...

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 10:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for cpma armor system - item which will increase armor class mb

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
You might want to describe a little more about what makes your mod different though, scripting may be used more in one type of map than others. I can see it being used in a limited extent on a CTF or something but not so much on a DM.

It wont be especially different to anything, it's the more polished next step of CPMA so I was wondering if there were any handy things or innovative ideas. Other things we're using include new forms of physics trigger (nothing mindblowing, just offering control over how the trigger changes a player's velocity) and new flavours of teleporter such as relative position and velocity preservation. They've been good ideas so far and we'll certainly look at adding support. What sort of ideas would a full scripting capability be useful for? The game is aimed pretty at multiplayer although I think we'd like to make it easy for any group who wanted to add monsters as a mod on top to do so.

extone: isn't that done most elegantly by an armour item? When would a player go out of their way to upgrade 150 yellow armour to 150 red armour given how little benefit that offers compared to a weapon or armour?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a list of things I would like to see:

* Being able to control the state of a 2 stage entity like a door/button. Like for example extending a bridge and letting it be controlled which state it is in, extended or retracted by switches that the player could use. (A toggle function)
* Enable/disable of teleporters, switchable state via other entities, door/buttons etc. This can be done at the moment but it is a very messy solution involving timers and door/button triggers.
* Being able to rotate entities between angles like a 2 state door entity.
* Unique sounds to func entities via key/value pairs on the entity ("sound_start", "sound_end", "sound_loop" etc) so designers can specify different operational sounds. (besides the default ones)
* Proper support for switchable shader surfaces so they can have lightmap stages looking right. (a compiler option more than engine)
* Fixing client/server message over run errors, so if too much is happening then multiple updates, instead of current q3 solution, kill client. Especially easy to re-produce, just try switching 10+ shaders at once or moving lots of objects.
* Multiple item configs for maps. Tagging all items with a special key/value pair that is linked to a name description on the worldspawn. So players could pick from a list what item config they want to play with. So designers could design multiple item layouts without having to only use current game modes. Sort of like noffa,noctf key/value pairs but more flexible.
* Nailgun! bring it back, I so love that weapon :)
* Ability to label/switch off eye candy architecture. Sort of like func_static but using a func_group structure where the designer can say if certain architecture is game critical or not, like for example skylines or stuff behind grates in walls, hanging cables etc Using the detail shader command but taking it further and something that the server can filter out easily. Obviously this stuff cannot be structural but a similiar idea to detail brushes.
* would be nice to be able to use entities (additional key like crouch/jump etc) like buttons/doors instead of touching them or running into them.
* moveable water volumes, can be triggered via buttons etc
* logic gate entities, being able to feed multiple triggers into an logic entity and fire the relevant result trigger. Like simple AND, OR gates for triggers.
* Counters, so once the entity has been triggered so many times the 'target' key is fired.
* Shield objects that can be dropped by DM/CTF teams to protect entrances. Maybe restrict placement to certain area volumes (designer placed) The shields can protect players but once all the armour is gone, they are destroyed. Implement them like the medikit/personal teleporter, pick them up from a spawn point and then allow a player to drop them within certain trigger volumes. Could be shown on the hud with a hint or the volume area glows. Could do a nice Halo3 style bubble/crystal shield effect.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 05:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
* Nailgun! bring it back, I so love that weapon :)

If that was even an interest for CPMA, it would be cool to have the option to make .map files (like !cpm16b) to add it into other maps.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 05:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

movable water volumes are already possible to trigger by making water brushes into func_doors aren't they?

trigger_velocity - negative or positive value to decrease or increase player velocity respectively. (Say there was a mega health a short distance above a jump pad. The player hits a trigger_velocity with -10 velocity and slows down in the air resulting in more time to be shot at (equivalent to placing MH higher above the jump pad)). This would be useful for smaller maps.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 09-30-2009 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

While we are at it:

• More control over sound, volume and range (much like light in the editor), maybe with effects.

Update:

• A notourney flag for entities letting the player e.g. add a Quad in FFA, but turn it off for 1on1 tourney games.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 03:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ix-ir wrote:
extone: isn't that done most elegantly by an armour item? When would a player go out of their way to upgrade 150 yellow armour to 150 red armour given how little benefit that offers compared to a weapon or armour?

as option i thought about making all armors to be of lowest class then such item will be valuable, but obviously it will be totally different armor system

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-01-2009 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>>> switchable doors/funcs!!!
>>> and explosive barrels
>>> and a switch for door-sound!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>>> target_entities, that the player doesnt have to activate "directly"

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 07-23-2011 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser made this thread redundant.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 03:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crouch sliding, and that it does not lose velocity.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-24-2011 04:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to even make of that... As Hipshot mentioned, this thread is redundant because of Eraser's Entity Plus thread and your comment doesn't even relate to the original topic. :dork:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-25-2011 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I'm not sure what to even make of that... As Hipshot mentioned, this thread is redundant because of Eraser's Entity Plus thread and your comment doesn't even relate to the original topic. :dork:

That's nice.

BTW, If you have a problem with the thread, then perhaps you should do something about it... you know... like, closing it perhaps? Instead of lurking it all day. Herp derp.

:dork:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 07-25-2011 05:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No need for all the nerd rage.
It may not be the way ix-ir intended the thread, but why not stretch it a bit beyond items/entities?
Just mentioning general added functionality that might prove to be fun, whatever way it's implemented.

deqer requests crouch sliding. Why get all picky about that, unlike when aeon requested double jumping?
Both seem to belong more to the hard coded realm, but I'm interested to see people try to tackle stuff there, also.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.