Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-24-2015 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Speaking of illegible target(name)s, do mappers really deal with using names such as, "t1" during the entire creation process, or is there some utility to automatically rename them all for you, to cut down on filesize and other potential issues that go along with long targetnames?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-24-2015 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use names that are just functionally logical to me. I don't see what problems could arise from long targetnames. Filesize really isn't an issue either.

What I meant with the illegible mess is this, though:

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-24-2015 09:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well almost all Quake Live maps use, "t1" for targetnames, as opposed to something like, "bluelowertele1".

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-24-2015 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Because it's default when you ctrl+k. It starts with t1 (target1) then continues with t2, t3, etc.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 09-24-2015 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, NetRadiant uses the name of the target + 1, for example misc_teleporter_dest1 etc.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-26-2015 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The same for GtkRadiant 1.5, which is simply the base for NetRadiant. GtkRadiant 1.4 and 1.6 use the t# scheme and in case of large maps with advanced scripting it can be pretty ridiculous. Also for building such extra large maps you need extra poweful machine or it will hang several times during building and compiling.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-26-2015 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm finally done with this!

I will coming with a copy of my current map as an EP Boss battle edition (bundled with a TA version of the map).
I still miss the spawnflagable powerups'n'stuff at the bots, but it will be FUN instead! :tomato:
Posting my stuff sooooon! (I'm actually thinking what I've missed)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-27-2015 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Normally you would be able to use a target_give to give powerups to the bots, but in EntityPlus that got broken. The code repository at GitHub contains a fix for this though and I could send you a build to tinker with it. Either that, or I could actually add the powerups as spawnflags and get you a build of the mod with that.
Once your map is ready for release, I could simply push out an update for the mod.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-27-2015 04:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My maps are ready, and finished, but laggy for other people, and I DON'T KNOW what to do with that. But I not give it up (for now)!
With or without powerups, my boss battle is super fun (and not because I made that). Check it (Shipyard 17 topic). :)
If I add powerups to bots (with target_give), then a bot dies, it will not drop the powerup? That what I don't want.

Oh, and bots can run out of ammo. Thats a bit suprised me. :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-27-2015 11:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus wrote:
If I add powerups to bots (with target_give), then a bot dies, it will not drop the powerup? That what I don't want.

They won't drop it.

Martinus wrote:
Oh, and bots can run out of ammo. Thats a bit suprised me. :D

heh, well they spawn with 999 of each ammo type. I figured a bot would die before shooting 999 times (even with the MG) so I never anticipated the possibility of a bot running out of ammo :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-28-2015 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus, if the poweup for bot is fixed one, you can spawn it somewhere near the bot in the battle arena after you kill the bot by using deathtarget (am I saying that right, Eraser? :D ). It will simply trigger targetted item just right after the bot dies. Target the item straight, not through target_give, it will spawn and you will need to grab it by running through it. I can't tell you what happens if you link it by target_give, if it will give that item to player or it will crash, I have no idea. Anyway, if EP supported Team Arena items and weapons (would need to link with fs_basegame missionpack to run it properly, so using Command line or simple batch file), you could give the bot Chaingun, set health to super-low value and with 999 ammo it should run out of ammo pretty quickly (in 10 minutes, maybe) - you know what cadence Chaingun has :D Then you can see, what happens to bot, when it runs out of ammo... But it does not support Team Arena items, so no way to give a bot Chaingun. But wait, there is a way to solution. EP supports changing configs by an entity, so you could simply write timescale #>>1 (number much higher than one, so timescale 10 e.g. - maybe too much), save it as game.cfg and link it with game world by entity, that is triggered by trigger_once at the game beginning just when the player spawns (you place trigger_once to overlap info_player_start). trigger_once targets the config changer and you spawn with 10 times faster game :D Then give the bot machinegun, give him extra-low health and watch, how quickly he would actualy run out of ammo and what happens if it does to so :)

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-28-2015 02:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U kno,
In this mod is way easier to set stuffs (spawnflags) in target_botspawn, than messing with target_give and with the items.
I think the ammo problem can solve in the mod's code (if I can set a bot healths more than 10 000, then why I can't set their ammo or powerup time too? setting them to -1 and they got infinite of them... maybe :D Just an idea. )

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-28-2015 04:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it is worth of thinking and possibly implementing, but hey, tell Eraser :)

If you take Sock's The Edge of Forever, such puzzle map that installs in baseq3. Yes, it is possible to make such amazing logic gates and puzzles using just regular entities found in baseq3 code. Entity Plus is a mod that makes creating these puzzles and logic gates much easier, but try to ask Sock or investigate on his websites http://simonoc.com/ - he made his secret to logic puzzles public visible a long time ago. It is amazing, what can be done just in baseq3...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 06:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is this mod is continuously under developement or quaketoolkit?

I'm thinking another boss(bot) battle map (in normal size), adter fixing my current maps, and it would be great if somehow I can track the bot(s) healt like this :

And adding custom chat text (start, end, lose, idle, win, etc... ) at target_botspawn
Or anything else for better bot customization.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 10-01-2015 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Health bars for your or for a specific enemy would be cool, and if you could choose if they appear above the enemy's head or on the HUD. We already have bars for the player we're targeting.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 01:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Martinus wrote:
Is this mod is continuously under developement or quaketoolkit?

Quake Toolkit is not under development at all. I lost the source code in some freak hard disk accident. I had a backup on a CD-R somewhere but I lost that too I think.
EntityPlus is under development by request. I'm willing to put some work into it if someone wants me to. Once in a blue moon I make some code change but other than that there's no new ideas I have that I want to implement. So having said that, it's interesting to hear new ideas from you and I might just go and implement those.

Martinus wrote:
I'm thinking another boss(bot) battle map (in normal size), adter fixing my current maps, and it would be great if somehow I can track the bot(s) healt like this :
http://www.jeffthibault.com/doom/zd3k/i ... ld0093.png

I don't think it's impossible. I need to think of the best way to do this though, while keeping it monkey-proof.

Martinus wrote:
And adding custom chat text (start, end, lose, idle, win, etc... ) at target_botspawn
Or anything else for better bot customization.

I explicitly removed chat from the bots to make them more like traditional single player enemies. You could trigger target_print entities (or, if you fancy doing some voice work, target_speaker entities) when a bot is spawned, or when it dies (using the deathtarget key on target_botspawn). You could also play around with trigger_frag and trigger_death entities.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 10-02-2015 04:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Quake Toolkit is not under development at all. I lost the source code in some freak hard disk accident. I had a backup on a CD-R somewhere but I lost that too I think.
EntityPlus is under development by request. I'm willing to put some work into it if someone wants me to. Once in a blue moon I make some code change but other than that there's no new ideas I have that I want to implement. So having said that, it's interesting to hear new ideas from you and I might just go and implement those.

Damn that's so sad (QuakeToolkit). :cry:

Eraser wrote:
I explicitly removed chat from the bots to make them more like traditional single player enemies. You could trigger target_print entities (or, if you fancy doing some voice work, target_speaker entities) when a bot is spawned, or when it dies (using the deathtarget key on target_botspawn). You could also play around with trigger_frag and trigger_death entities.

target_print overrites other target_prints. That's the problem. I met this problem when I set at my map the boost systems message with boss(bot) info message (only solve this the subtitle spawnflag).
I thought it was way easier to select a target_botspawn and adding entity keys like "key = startmessage1 / value = Random badass thoughts" (startmessage1, startmessage2, startmessage3 randomly choosed by the game once for example OR idlemessage1, idlemessage2, goes randomly while the bot is alive and so on)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-23-2016 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've just released a new version of EntityPlus (version 1.1.7). There's some fixes and new functionality in there that was requested by someone some time ago.

The most obvious new thing about this version is the "gore" setting in the game options menu. It allows you to change the value of the cg_gibs cvar. It has three values instead of two now:
0 = Off
1 = On
2 = Messy

When set to messy, every enemy that dies automatically gibs, regardless of the amount of damage received. When gibbed, enemies get blown up into more pieces that spray more blood. It's like a little homage to Brutal Doom :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-25-2016 12:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser -

I've been out of the loop for a while...recently I took up mapping for doom *because* I wanted to make a relatively simplistic single player experience, but the level tools are obviously limiting in what you can do with vertical space, among other draw backs.

In your first post, you mentioned something to the effect of not being able to do a full fledged campaign in the quake 3 engine...but what if you could?

I haven't followed the development of this as closely as I would have liked...but I'm wondering now what's possible.

Could someone pick up quake 3, entity plus, and conceivably make a doom-like singleplayer or coop campaign?

Regardless, what you've done is amazing and I should take a closer look anyway

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-25-2016 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I say you would need singleplayer enemy-models, the Q3 bots don't really work =/

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-25-2016 05:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
I say you would need singleplayer enemy-models, the Q3 bots don't really work =/

Yeah, it'd be an undertaking....I just wonder how possible it is from a code perspective at this point so if a team of dedicated individuals got into it, they could pull something really cool off.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-26-2016 12:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VolumetricSteve wrote:
Could someone pick up quake 3, entity plus, and conceivably make a doom-like singleplayer or coop campaign?

I would say yes, definitely.
Like Hipshot said, the most limiting factor is the enemy AI, which is based on Q3 bot behavior. However, you mention Doom as a point of comparison, so I wouldn't worry about that too much, considering the Doom AI isn't fancy at all either. You're a bit limited in variation with the types of enemies you encounter, as you can basically only make variations in health, weapons and appearance. While so far the only maps available use the standard Quake 3 bots, nothing stops you from making your own player models and writing bot scripts for them.

Why don't you download the mod and try some maps. On this page under the "downloads" header there are links to the latest version of the mod and some maps. I suggest you try "Carmack Fortress" and "Testing Procedures". Both are relatively classic campaign type levels. If you try "Survival" you'll find that you can do arcade type maps as well.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-16-2021 01:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sooo, this is a bit weird, hard necro-ing this thread. But something just happened.

I was a little bored and was messing around with some of the old EntityPlus maps, including the Duckhunt map I had released way back in 2015. I noticed something odd: my accuracy stayed at 0% all the time. This problem didn't seem to occur in other maps, so I reckoned it had something to do with the Shotgun, which is the only weapon available in that map.

This issue kind of annoyed me, so I went ahead and blew a 5 year layer of dust off of the code and went to debugging. I found out that due to a bug, if you kill a bot with either the shotgun or the lightninggun, the shot that kills the bot isn't counted as a hit. Since the bots in the Duckhunt map are all pretty much killed in a single shot, each shot counts as a miss.

I fixed the issue and was a happy camper. But as I worked on the code, I noticed that years ago, I had actually added some features and made some more changes since the 1.1.7 release but these changes were never released. So I shrugged and thought "why not" and I packaged everything together and thew it on the internet.

Incidentally, this year marks the 10th anniversary of EntityPlus' birth, so what better way to celebrate that than with a new release :)

So, without further ado, here's version 1.1.8 of EntityPlus!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-06-2021 07:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ROFL. 10 years! WTF.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-08-2021 10:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, terrible isn't it?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 12-01-2021 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone have them key models made a few years ago?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-01-2021 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
Anyone have them key models made a few years ago?

You mean these?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 12-01-2021 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are they free to use in other projects tho?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-01-2021 10:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You should ask Obsidian and Hipshot. They made them (keycards and classic keys respectively).
I'm fine with it. I'm not going to make exclusive claim to other people's work.

Edit: Obsidian provided this readme with his keycard model which includes a CC BY-NC-SA license. Same goes for Hipshot's models.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-03-2021 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anything I've ever done for quake is free to use for anyone that wants to use them for a map or a mod for any quake game - ever.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-03-2021 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, what do you know, there's a new version of EntityPlus :olo:

The past few months I've been working on and off on a new EntityPlus map. Why? I don't know. Because I like doing it.
I ran into some issues in version 1.1.8 of the mod as well as having need of some new features, so I did some fixes, added some new stuff and there you go, version 1.1.9!

The new map is available here.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's really nice to see that the mod is still alive and kicking :) I started working on a new backpack model yesterday, the highpoly is done already. Lowpoly and textures will follow soon.

Attachments:
Backpack.jpg
Backpack.jpg [ 176.59 KB | Viewed 272 times ]

Last edited by DaEngineer on 12-12-2021 07:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
It's really nice to see that the mod is still alive and kicking :) I started working on a new backpack model yesterday, the highpoly is done already. Lowpoly and texturs will follow soon.

Cool :-)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 07:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a few questions about additional map capabilities with EntitiPlus:
1. What are the limits of the additional "entities" example (number of destructive walls etc.)
2. Can destruction be used, for example, in "curve brushe" or only structural brushes?
3. While I can use "BotClip" for Bots, so in the case of a player the location of portals visible through VIS may be a bit neglected?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-12-2021 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's the new textured backpack. The lighting on this shot is fully baked. It's a 1k texture, the mesh has 3220 tris. I'll prepare the files for integration into Quake soon, probably tomorrow.

Attachments:
Backpack_Textured.jpg
Backpack_Textured.jpg [ 180.76 KB | Viewed 243 times ]

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.