Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: EntityPlus - A single player Q3 mod

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 01:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DaEngineer wrote:
Here's the new textured backpack. The lighting on this shot is fully baked. It's a 1k texture, the mesh has 3220 tris. I'll prepare the files for integration into Quake soon, probably tomorrow.

Oh wow, that looks really nice! :eek:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fruity wrote:
I have a few questions about additional map capabilities with EntitiPlus:
1. What are the limits of the additional "entities" example (number of destructive walls etc.)
2. Can destruction be used, for example, in "curve brushe" or only structural brushes?
3. While I can use "BotClip" for Bots, so in the case of a player the location of portals visible through VIS may be a bit neglected?

1. I think Quake 3 has a hardcoded limit of 1024 entities in a single map. This includes players (bots), rockets, plasma/bfg bolts, etc. Some entities don't count, however, like light and info_null entities. EntityPlus does have a target_mapchange entity, which allows you to move from one map to another and create an entire experience consisting of multiple BSP files. So if you run into entity limits, you might be able to cut your level up in multiple maps and stay under the limits.

2. There is no physics based destruction in Quake 3, so EntityPlus doesn't offer any either. There is the func_breakable entity, however, which can be applied to a brush or group of brushes (including curves). You can set an amount of damage the func_breakable can take before it is destroyed. Technically this means the entity simply disappears, but you can set certain spawnflags so that it emits debris. Here's an example:

3. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. botclip and VIS aren't really related to each other, are they?

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Oh wow, that looks really nice! :eek:

Thank you :) Here is a zip with the latest files. I've updated the readme file and added a simple shader, so the mesh is always rendered fullbright. This should help a bit with the visibility problem.

I've also changed the mesh format from md3 to obj. The mesh works in-game as a regular prop, but when I replace the item with it, I only see a placeholder mesh. Is the file extension hardcoded somewhere?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 08:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The filename is hardcoded, yes.
But two things. First thing is that your assets are packed directly in the "powerups" folder, whereas they were in "powerups/backpack" before. Second thing is that I don't think Quake 3 supports obj models in-game? I know q3map2 can convert obj to map geometry, but I believe that's a q3map2 thing. Even with the pathname fixed and the reference in the code changed to the new file name, I still get the red/blue/green placeholder thing.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
3. I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. botclip and VIS aren't really related to each other, are they?

Are not.
For bots, I can use BotClip (+ ClusterPortal - in some places) wherever there are brushes with the possibility of destruction / demolition (walls, ceilings etc.) in order to create an .aas file easier, of course, if it does not affect the map scenario.

As for the player, the number of portals seen may be important, because (it seems to me) that all brushes with "func_breakable" will be treated as if they were not present at all by the VIS compiler and you have to bear this in mind when designing the map. Am I right or is it a completely different ...?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 12:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fruity wrote:
For bots, I can use BotClip (+ ClusterPortal - in some places) wherever there are brushes with the possibility of destruction / demolition (walls, ceilings etc.) in order to create an .aas file easier, of course, if it does not affect the map scenario.

I tend to throw enormous amounts of botclip in my EntityPlus maps. For starters, I pretty much wall off each area where bots spawn to keep the bots contained to roughly that room where they spawn. Otherwise you sometimes end up with bots just roaming around the map, in worst cases to some point of "interest" and they just stick around there. With Dimension of Evil, I did actually run into problems where Q3 would crash for some mostly unknown reason. I can't exactly remember what happened or why I realized it had to do with the AAS file, but after that I clipped off large sections of the map where bots would never come (including upper parts of rooms with high ceilings and such). It massively improved compile time and solved the error.

Fruity wrote:
As for the player, the number of portals seen may be important, because (it seems to me) that all brushes with "func_breakable" will be treated as if they were not present at all by the VIS compiler and you have to bear this in mind when designing the map. Am I right or is it a completely different ...?

func_breakable brush groups are entities and entities never block vis. I don't know what sort of tris counts are doable by the engine on modern day hardware, but I guess you'd have to really push the game hard to run into problems there. Honestly, for my EntityPlus maps, vis was never something I actually considered optimizing. There's not a single areaportal or hint brush in there. It was never necessary.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-13-2021 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The filename is hardcoded, yes.
But two things. First thing is that your assets are packed directly in the "powerups" folder, whereas they were in "powerups/backpack" before. Second thing is that I don't think Quake 3 supports obj models in-game? I know q3map2 can convert obj to map geometry, but I believe that's a q3map2 thing. Even with the pathname fixed and the reference in the code changed to the new file name, I still get the red/blue/green placeholder thing.

My bad, I messed up the path inside the zip file, but had the right folder structure when I tested it.

I finally found a working md3 exporter for Blender 2.80, which is still somewhat recent at this point. I've attached a copy of this script to this posting, in case the linked thread goes offline.

Note to my future self and people who find this using a search engine: set the timeline's end frame in Blender from 250 to 1, otherwise the exporter will export 250 frames with full copies of the same mesh and you end up with a large file.

Here is a new working version of the backpack. Changes since the previous version:
  • rendered a new icon
  • tweaked the lighting a bit, the sides were too dark around the buckles
  • split some mesh edges to help with vertex shading
  • removed the shader again. because the mesh integrates better into the level if it's not fullbright

Attachments:
io_export_md3.zip [6.02 KB]
Downloaded 239 times

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-14-2021 12:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, it works! I've also added a green glow. Not sure if I stick with that.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-29-2021 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:
Are they free to use in other projects tho?

Just send me them bitcoins.

@Eraser: the green glow is a bit... much IMO. Maybe a faint glowing sprite? You can add some shader effects to make it pulse or use some particle effects.

Example:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-05-2022 01:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
@Eraser: the green glow is a bit... much IMO. Maybe a faint glowing sprite? You can add some shader effects to make it pulse or use some particle effects.

What do you think, is a smoke effect like this better?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-05-2022 09:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's in the backpack, working socks after a 16 hour shift? :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-06-2022 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe try something like sparkles or a floor decal? It does look like there's socks or old lunch inside the pack.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 01-06-2022 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually think you should make this more consistent to what the other items are in Quake 3, not go for some more "personal style". You have either the torus that circles around the powerups, you have the transparent sphere around health items, or just "nothing" except for the shine that goes across the medkit and teleporter.

Actually, it sounds a bit unappreciative but the item should perhaps have been designed to suit the more metal/scifi style of items that Q3 has, instead of the more army style that looks more like quake2, but I understand that this is a whole other deal.

obsidian wrote:
Maybe try something like sparkles or a floor decal? It does look like there's socks or old lunch inside the pack.

Or maybe it's Socks old lunch in there =)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-07-2022 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
I actually think you should make this more consistent to what the other items are in Quake 3, not go for some more "personal style". You have either the torus that circles around the powerups, you have the transparent sphere around health items, or just "nothing" except for the shine that goes across the medkit and teleporter.

I get what you're saying. Maybe the green glow effect similar to the armor shard would be an idea:

But I guess that's part of the model itself, so it would require DaEngineer to make this change.
I'm actually quite fond of the idea.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-07-2022 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I agree, the shell effect sounds promising. I'll create it in the next few days and upload it here. Contrary to what I said earlier it's probably more sensible to also make the pack fullbright and not lit by the environment, because all other items are too.

@Hipshot: It's true, the backpack doesn't fit the Q3 universe that well. If we find something that's more fitting, I can create a different mesh. This one didn't take long to make, I'm not overly attached to it :)

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-13-2022 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are two videos of the new backpack FX. One without rgbGen identity in the shader and one with rgbGen identity.

I recreated the armor effect instead of the armor shard one. The backpack is now also back to fullbright to improve visibility. Thoughts?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-14-2022 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks great. The one with rgbGen identity looks a bit overexposed somehow? I guess the one without is preferable. The effect looks good. Certainly makes it much more visible.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 01-26-2022 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks :) Here are the latest files, without rgbGen identity. The backpack texture is included again, but it hasn't changed.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-29-2022 05:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool. Will try and put it in the mod after the weekend

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here it is, version 1.1.10 of EntityPlus!
It includes DaEngineer's new backpack, as well as a pretty important bugfix for multi-bsp levels (like krep1 and ep_procedures) and it gives level designers the ability to make bots drop loot when they die.

https://github.com/TheEnginesOfCreation ... tag/1.1.10

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, bot drops loot. That's quiet nice I must say. Like, any item then? Can it be set up to be a chance to drop?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
Oh, bot drops loot. That's quiet nice I must say. Like, any item then? Can it be set up to be a chance to drop?

Existing maps don't use this feature, it's something that needs to be specifically set up by the level designer.
A botspawn entity can point to any in-game item (weapons, ammo boxes, health, armor, keys, etc) which will be dropped by the bot when it dies.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-01-2022 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1. Does anyone remember if it is possible to remove the inscription "waiting for players" at the top of the screen without removing the entire Huds?

2. How to create dynamic lights, I tried via funk_door (for checking) but something I can't do, are there any common guidelines (which funk_ should I use) regarding controlled light?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.