Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13death_xt "The Place Of Many Deaths CTF - Extended"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13death_xt "The Place Of Many Deaths CTF - Extended"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-28-2023 10:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Place Of Many Deaths CTF - Extended

Not much to say. It's an extended version of my old CTF conversion of q3dm4.
Now with some additional paths, ledges and a lot of jumppads. And yes, I stole some stuff from QL's "Eviscerated". :D

Download Q3A version Beta1 (3.8 MB)
PK3: map-13death_xt_b1.pk3
ZIP: map-13death_xt_b1.zip

A QL version will follow soon.

Also planned is a Deathmatch version (with one base) a little closer to QL's "Eviscerated". With the connection over the bridge down to the former teleporter room.

Have fun testing... sst13

Last edited by sst13 on 03-31-2023 10:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-24-2023 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Added 2 teleporters connecting the bases for deathmatch. On the spot of the flags a Regen and a Quad spawns alternting.

Download Q3A version Beta2 (4 MB)
PK3: map-13death_xt_b2.pk3
ZIP: map-13death_xt_b2.zip

QL version now available here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2951661513

Edit: In the Q3A version, there is a missing texture on some of the banners, because I copied them over from the QL version without testing. :rolleyes: This bug will be fixed in the final release...

Last edited by sst13 on 03-31-2023 10:35 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-29-2023 12:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heya, I played about an hour across a few rounds vs bots. Will try and get it onto the /fear/ pickup ctf server for some unlagged testing soon too if it's not already there.

Plays great, looks great. Just some minor stuff after an hour of considering it:

Got a missing texture on the front face of the base brick of the statues near flag. Banners seemed fine, could be my install has those banners from something else already.

Some spots feel quite compact - Especially the walkways where LG and RG are located. I think it's the indent for the jumppad PLUS the huge pillar in the middle of the room PLUS the back wall being pulled in close all together make the space feel quite narrow. In practice it seems to play fine, just a feel thing. Same goes for mid, the central pillar has the effect of shrinking the space drastically. Possibly extending this space somewhat (pull the two bases a bit further apart) might improve the feel there.

For an extended version it's still quite small overall - 3v3 and 4v4 felt about right, any higher and it seemed too crowded. Adding a third route into each base that runs from mid, down underneath centrally as a basement, then coming up behind flag room in the pit could be an option to spread high player counts out a bit more. I guess that's something for an X-XL version :)

Armor felt a little sparse, just 1 x YA and an MH in each base, and a pair of YA in mid.

Overall solid, at your usual very well polished standard.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-07-2023 06:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oooh finally some feedback :eek: :D

>>Got a missing texture
The texture (shader) on the statues base front (picture #3) is a default baseq3 one. There is maybe a shader conflict at your end. If you check q3dm6, the same texture is used near the jumppad at the pillars.
But I can replace the shader (gothic_block/killblock_i4b) with the raw texture (gothic_block/killblock_i4). There is only a noticeable difference when using this shader in dark areas. So the texture without shader would be fine too. And saves some FPS behind the decimal point. :)

>>For an extended version it's still quite small overall
Yeah, I had the same feeling when I tested the map first with bots. I expectet more space for players. But my intend was not making a big map. It was just about adding some alternative routes and gettig rid of the bottleneck in the center. You can see my _xt versions more like an updated version of the original map, where I fix some issues by adding new stuff. And sometimes you got more space for additional players. :D

>>Armor felt a little sparse
I could replace the YA in the base with a RA. But a 3rd opinion about that would be cool. Because I'm ok with the amount of armor atm. But I only tested with bots so far, and they don't go for armor and mega like humans would do.

sst13...

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-07-2023 10:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that shader conflict must be on me. I'm getting the same shader missing on some other maps now. Might be time to triage the install again :D

The level's loaded on q3w.monroec.com Devotion Unlagged server. Should play fine from Europe for any additional testing with Real Human Beans.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-09-2023 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sst13 wrote:

This just looks so good. Looking at this really makes you appreciate q3s clean look over modern games.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-25-2023 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Final Release!

Download Q3A version (4MB)
PK3: map-13death_xt.pk3
ZIP: map-13death_xt.zip

QL version here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2951661513

Have fun!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.