Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        jump pad?(more questions, need help:)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: jump pad?(more questions, need help:)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ive tryed it many times but i just dont know how to get it workin. i read the manual and it seems simple, so sorry for the noob question.

Last edited by dubz on 10-04-2005 07:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I never could grasp a thing without some screens, so just incase...

Quote:
make a brush, right-click, choose trigger >> trigger_push.

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/1st.JPG[/lvlshot]

Quote:
deselect (esc), right-click, target_position.

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/2nd.JPG[/lvlshot]

Quote:
deselect again and then choose the trigger_push, then select the target_position and hit ctrl+k to connect them.

[lvlshot]http://www.members.cox.net/borke/3rd.JPG[/lvlshot]

meh, that's not much more info...but it might help. :D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 08:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

and another response.. with a small example map! :)
http://shadowdane.shackspace.com/files/jump_pad.zip

the jump pad is basically two items a trigger_push brush which is textured with the common/trigger texture. Then it is targetted at a target_position. Check the example map, it should help quite a bit. I compiled it too so you can view it in quake 3 too.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 08:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i select the trigger_push brush i made and the target_position green box, hit ctrl k, and nothing happens... but atleast now i can copy paste
the jump pad out of the example map:)
anyone know what im doing wrong?

tnx for the help

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-26-2005 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, after you create the "trigger_push", then make the "tagret_posiston". Now with nothing selected, select the trigger push, then select the trigger posistion. Hit ctrl k and that will have your jp.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, so i have created a brush, with common/trigger texture, right clicked and chosed trigger_push. then pressed esc to deselect and right click target position(a box appears). deselect everything, and select the brush i made and the box, then i hit ctrl+k and nothing happens
[lvlshot]http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/4510/jp4ri.jpg[/lvlshot]

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bit off-topic, but it used to be true that a trigger_push should be at least 32 units square for reliable online play.

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dubz wrote:
ok, so i have created a brush, with common/trigger texture, right clicked and chosed trigger_push. then pressed esc to deselect and right click target position(a box appears). deselect everything, and select the brush i made and the box, then i hit ctrl+k and nothing happens

better not use [esc] to deselect, shift-Lclick is the preverred route to take.so:
1)select trigger and deselect using shift-Lclick
2)select target and deselect using shift-lclick
3)select trigger again
4)select target again
5)press ctrl-k
now they should get connected

Hr.O

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 08:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i select the brush and choose trigger_push, then i cant deselect with shift-lclick, only with esc
??

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The post me and Kaz put together is about as easy as it gets...it's word for word and even has some pics to go by. :icon26:

When you press ctrl and "K" at the same time, do you hear anything? Any errors come up in Radiant's console? You have to select them in order to get them to work together.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i selcted them in order and everything, and no sound when i hit ctrl-k(tryed it true the menu too)...i feel like a retard

copyed this out of the console

OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = 32bpp
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: RADEON X800 XL x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2
GL_VERSION: 1.5.4776 WinXP Release
GL_EXTENSIONS: GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_S3_s3tc GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_element_array GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_map_object_buffer GL_ATI_pn_triangles GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATI_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_attrib_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_streams GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATIX_texture_env_route GL_ATIX_vertex_shader_output_point_size GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_shader GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control
OpenGL window configuration: colour-buffer = 32bpp, depth-buffer = none
Texture load failed: "textures/"
Loaded Texture: "C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant 1.5.0/bitmaps/notex.bmp"
brushDragNew
dragTool
dragTool
Texture load failed: "textures/common/areaportal"
Loaded Texture: "C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant 1.5.0/bitmaps/shadernotex.bmp"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/caulk"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/clip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/clusterportal"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/cushion"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/donotenter"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/bluegoal"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/full_clip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/hint"
Loaded Texture: "textures/common/invisible"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/qer_mirror"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/missileclip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nodraw"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nodrawnonsolid"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nodrop"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/noimpact"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nolightmap"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/origin"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/qer_portal"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/skip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/slick"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/teleporter"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/trigger"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/weapclip"
Showing 26 shaders.
textureNameSetSelected
entityCreate -class trigger_push
entityCreate -class target_position

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 08:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if the ctrl+K doesn't work u can set the target & targetname variables manually.

select the trigger_push brush.. hit N
set these values

key: target
value: t1

hit Esc to deselect the brush.. select the target_position... hit N
set these values

key: targetname
value: t1

That will link the entities, if that doesn't work.. then I don't know how to help you.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 08:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you know what.. I just tried the "Ctrl + K" method that everyone keeps saying.. and well that does nothing in GTKRadiant v1.4.0. I do notice its listed as a keyboard shortcut, but I can't get it to do anything either.

I've always set the target/targetname values manually myself... but still odd that it doesn't work for me either.

brushmangler
brushmangler
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hr.O wrote:
better not use [esc] to deselect, shift-Lclick is the preverred route to take.so:
1)select trigger and deselect using shift-Lclick
2)select target and deselect using shift-lclick
3)select trigger again
4)select target again
5)press ctrl-k
now they should get connected

Hr.O

I feel embarrased on this one, it was the escape key that made things connect, NOT shift-Lclick. (/me should've tested it out instead of trusting mem :paranoid: )

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's using 1.5.0 and I can't get it to work in that version either. It does work in 1.4.0 however for me. Maybe a setting somewhere? I'm a bit out of the Radiant loop.

edit:

This however might be part of your problem. Make sure all your paths are correct in your settings. Seems all your common textures aren't loading.

dubz wrote:

Texture load failed: "textures/common/areaportal"
Loaded Texture: "C:/Program Files/GtkRadiant 1.5.0/bitmaps/shadernotex.bmp"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/caulk"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/clip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/clusterportal"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/cushion"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/donotenter"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/bluegoal"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/full_clip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/hint"
Loaded Texture: "textures/common/invisible"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/qer_mirror"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/missileclip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nodraw"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nodrawnonsolid"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nodrop"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/noimpact"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/nolightmap"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/origin"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/qer_portal"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/skip"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/slick"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/teleporter"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/trigger"
Texture load failed: "textures/common/weapclip"

Last edited by Scourge on 09-27-2005 07:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
Just use 1.4.0 or 1.2.13

1.2.13 is my personal favorite. :) Although 1.4.0 is growing on me.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe it does connect them but you just don't know it... Make sure View > Filter > Paths is off.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 09-27-2005 07:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Maybe it does connect them but you just don't know it... Make sure View > Filter > Paths is off.

Double checked. Everything is set to show and checked the entity windows and they're not connected at all.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-04-2005 07:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i have another question,better to ask here than to open a new thread.
i saw in a tutorial how a guy made all the structure in 3dmax then imported it in radiant.
im doing maps with my friend and he knows how to work in rhinoceros, so how do we get things from rHino in to radiant?

oh, forgot to ask this, how to get those lamp models or those statues and all of those models in to the map...??

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-05-2005 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By "all the structure", I suppose you mean entire map? I really wouldn't recommend modeling an entire map in a 3D modeling application. Makes it very difficult to change basic layout changes and UVW mapping the whole thing's going to be a bitch. Many have tried, all have failed. Besides, you still have to import the model and manually clip stuff and add entities and everything in Radiant anyway.

I haven't used Rhinoceros for some 6 or 7 or more years so I can't remember what formats it can export, but you need to export your properly modeled polygons to a supported format.

By default, Radiant and Q3Map support only the proprietary MD3 format which was used by id Software, but had a few limitations that were a headache to overcome. While you can find a few export tools for a variety of 3D modeling apps, or convert from ASE to MD3 using q3data.exe, MD3 is generally an outdated format for map models and is only necessary for player and weapon models.

Q3Map2 and recent versions of GtkRadiant support other more common formats used by many 3D modeling apps. ASE, 3DS, OBJ, LWO.

ASE is probably the best and export is naturally supported by 3dsMAX. It's just a raw text file, so it's also easy to modify if you just need to change texture/shader paths or what not.

3DS is a really old format used by 3D Studio. I've had problems with it not exporting UVW co-ordinates properly. It is widely supported by a lot of programs which makes it useful for transfering geometry from one app to another, but that's all I have ever used it for.

OBJ, I haven't used for Q3 models so I can't really comment. Maya should export to this quite easily.

LWO is generally used by Lightwave. Don't have or use Lightwave, so can't comment.

Import models by right-clicking on the grid and select misc > misc_models. Select the right model directory within your Q3 install directory (generally, C:\Games\Quake III Arena\baseq3\models\mapobjects - your custom models usually go into a new directory within mapobjects). Select the model format and the actual model. Your model should now be imported into radiant.

To rotate or scale the model, you need to have it selected and then press N. Follow the instructions in the entity menu.

It starts. I win. The end!
It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 10-13-2005 04:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am running GTKRadiant 1.4.0 and it has been the most stable and useable version I have ever used. At least on my system. Perhaps it is a conflict between the hardware and corresponding software and the Radiant software that causes some features of Radiant not to work on different systems.

I am useing a kind of older system (a little over 1 year old) right now while I am trying to put my new system together and I have never seen Radiant work so well.

This system
Gigabyte-64 PCB 1.x 400MHz FSB USB2.0 8XAGP
Nforce2Chipset 400MHz FSB
AMD Sempron 3000+ ~2000MHz 512L2cache 333MHz
1GB DDR PC3200 400MHz
NVidia FX5700LE 256MB DDR 950MHz (425+425)MHz

On my last system though I just couldn't run GTKRadiant 1.4.0 without a bunch of bugs. I had to go back to a newer version of Q3Radiant.

That system
GA-7VAX/P PCB 1.x 333MHz FSB USB2.0 8XAGP
VIA KT400 333MHz FSB
AMD Athalon XP 1800+ ~1580MHz 256L2cache 266MHz
512MB DDR PC2700 333MHz
NVidia GForceMX 440 64MB DDR 300MHz

None the less the only problem I have ever had with jump pad creation in GTKRadiant on this system is when I will every now and then select the target first and then the brush and it connects the two of them backwards...heh :paranoid: Oops!

Perhaps he really is having a Radiant version conflict with his system.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 10-14-2015 01:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an similiar problem, when I hit Esc and then select the pad and the target it says "Cannot connect to world". anything I should do?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-14-2015 04:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-15-2015 09:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.