Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Dirty hack:: depth pass shadow volumes

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 06-10-2007 05:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up =)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 08-03-2022 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bump! sst13 still had this file, he is a true hero!

I put a little overview here: https://www.ferdinandlist.de/blog/idtec ... c_shadows/

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-04-2022 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very interesting. BTW small typo, you have oder instead of order

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-04-2022 03:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't know something like this was possible. Definitely mind blowing. I can't quite understand how it works, but I might explore the map files at home and see how is it done, try different settings, different setups, etc. Maybe I'll be able to get into it. I don't think I'll ever use it though.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-04-2022 12:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Impressive. Curious that this hasn't found its way into more maps.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-04-2022 02:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember this from back when that concept map came out with the swinging cross. The main barrier to implementing it is it's a big hassle to put together and has some fairly severe limitations (needs a stark single light source, entire shadow area must be inaccessible to players, looks wonky from extreme angles).
If I remember correctly it's a riff on how cel shading was accomplished (an automatic offset around existing model geometry and then using the depth pass to 'draw' the outline between the offset volume and inner model volume).

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 08-04-2022 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have also been thinking about a use case for this, it's tough, maybe it could be interesting if you have something like moving platforms in your map. Other than that, I struggle to come up with something.

Thanks fkd for pointing out the typo! I will fix it the next time I update the site.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-17-2022 10:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was there Gandalf. I was there seven-teen years ago. I was there when the post was written. :)

This is a blast from the past. I still remember writing the first post all those years ago.

I've updated the links on the first post to point to my Github account. There are some other maps on there too.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.