Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        beta 1 - 'little rock' (kat1024) by kat

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: beta 1 - 'little rock' (kat1024) by kat

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

download curtosy of infosprite. c. 2.5MB
http://www.infosprite.com/members/kat/beta1_kat1024.zip

You'll also need the multiplant pack that's currently available here - http://fps.brainerd.net/mapmodels4.htm (also see multiplant error thread here for update on 'fixed' version of this)

info
Basically a 1024 box map I'm putting together to get me back into the swing of mapping after a bit of a break. Terrain has been modelled in Blender3D and uses alphaMod blending over a new rock texture [pimp].

Bot file *is* included and recommends max of 4 players in FFA.. watch out for Klesk, this is his map.

Really in need of item placement feedback, are there too many wepaons, too much ammo etc.? I was thinking of replacing the shotgun with grandelauncher but thought that might cause too much of an indirect spam fest. Comments appreciated as always.

Known Bugs
- There are a couple of bright spots on the walls near the top of the map.. I've no idea what's causing these as there arn't any point lights near them.
- Multiplant models appear to be broken in random places, again not sure what's causing this
- There's probably the odd bit of texture warping due to the UVWmap on the terrain model.

I got a bit of a scare earlier... my last Q3 maps was 1 month shy of being 3 years ago...!!!

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sex on a stick, gonna check out now.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 05:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to try and set up a server but for some wierd reason I doesn't seem to 'register' on the network (if you type in the IP address the master server dishes out you can't connect)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
Looking very nice (reminiscent of potm but certainly a unique look :up:)
Yeah. I had some pretty long conversations with the Brush Monkey whilst he was developing that map, esp. in regards to getting alphaMod to work well so there's nodoubt that that info on blending has stuck with me as that's what I find interesting. Trouble is, in many ways, using that technique tends to 'fix' a certain look on things which is difficult to get around, in fact I made a point of not using any grass or climbing ivy, that would have made it an easy target for 'knock-off' comments..! :p

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Downloading now. I'll see if I can figure out your multiplant problem.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, you'll see what I mean when you see what's going on. If you want to take a look at the map file let me know and I'll forward that to you.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Weird... you can send the map to meridanox (a-t) g m a i l (d-o-t) c o m.

What version of Q3Map2 are you using? Compile switches?

I'm also getting 1 broken shader on one of the plant models on the very top floor. Are you getting that too?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 09:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Packing the map and sending now before I get some zzzzzzz. And yes, there are one or two others scattered around the map showing that problem, that little uptop is one of them.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-24-2005 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

right the email is on it's way... c 800KB
Thanks for taking a look at this btw, it's very puzzling.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks fantastic. Quite fast gameplay though I kept getting stuck on bits of wall here and there. Maybe the RL is bit heavy for such a small map, plus all the ledges make for easy splash damage. I owned the bots I tried out from up there. Perhaps replace the RL with the GL?

Had the missing/broken multiplant shader thing too.

Otherwise great stuff. How's that D3 medieval looking thing coming along?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-25-2005 04:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll try ther GL in place of the RL for beta2, at least the shotgun can then act as a more primary 'instant hit' weapon.

'Bob' is paused for the moment, got some other stuff to get on with that's quite pressing in terms of time.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hies kat.
Interesting look you have going on there.
Rocks, rocks and more rocks. Something that may go along with my newest ctf map. Hell thinking about it, I may even rebuild rrctf2 with some of these incorporated.

Any-who...
Grabbing this and will try to provide you with some input later.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-26-2005 10:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks rr. It looks like the GranadeLauncher will make it into beta 2 replacing the lighting gun but any further thoughts are appreciated.. ;)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 05:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi Kat,

Missing some of the editor shaders... your alphaMod volume shaders and skip shader. It seems as if you're not keeping them in the traditional textures/common directory, I assume your alphaMod shaders are in textures/kat1024?

Anyhow, please send me (or post) your alphaMod shader and skip shader files.

In regards to the plant models, the missing texture may be my fault. It's not showing up on my local copy although I could have sworn that I fixed that... :shrug: I'll fix that and send you the update.

Your odd problem with the plant models I assume has something to do with the alphaMod brushes. Try grouping your terrain models and alphaMod brushes together and leaving the plant models isolated. This way, the alphaMod brushes should only affect the terrain models.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Check your mail.. sent you the missing files

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-27-2005 09:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meridanox wrote:
... Try grouping your terrain models and alphaMod brushes together and leaving the plant models isolated. This way, the alphaMod brushes should only affect the terrain models.
I can't think of a way to group models with brushwork and have it be effected by the alphaMods. AFAIK you can't use a func_group (well that's what it says in the the entity info). I know you can 'tag' models to brushwork as I've done that but the results arn't effected by the alphaMods, using func_statics doesn't work either.

Having said all that I don't understand why the plant pack would be effected by the AM brushes if they don't have the q3map_alphaMod shader parameter, so although what we've said above is the obvious choice for the error I had another look at 'where' the plant models were being broken and they don't necessarily corrispond to areas of contact with the alphabrushes, some sections are totally encapsulated but uneffected and visa-versa...

:confused:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you check the other thread, download the newly updated multiplant pack. It'll at least fix that missing texture problem you're having.

I haven't had much luck fixing your problem on my end either. I tried removing the alphaMod volume brushes from the map and recompiled. The plant models seem to work in this case.

You're right about the func_group thing... can't group models.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually, the plant models are affected by the alphaMod volume brushes because models use rgbGen vertex (and alphaMod volume uses vertex values to determine alpha). I tried commenting out this line and the models no longer have missing sections out of them. However, without rgbGen vertex the plant models seem to glow (fullbright) as they are no longer vertex lit.

I'll see if I can think of some workaround... unless someone can think of some solution?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Use rgbGen vertex + alphaGen const on the multiplant models.

Or just rgbGen exactVertex, which sets alphaGen const automatically.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks ydnar.

But what does rgbGen exactVertex do exactly?

And why are there slight differences between using rgbGen exactVertex and when using rgbGen vertex + alphaGen const?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup can confirm this works... provided you remember to add the ammened shader to the 'zzz_...pk3' so it overwrites the old versions..! ;)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 07:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat, try downloading the file now... just updated shader with ydnar's fix using rgbGen exactVertex.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rgbGen exactVertex ignores overbrightbits. It will generally be brighter under default settings.

I'd use rgbGen vertex + alphaGen const.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 08:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep that's seems to be working ok, looks a lot better than the old version that's for sure. Made sure to get rid of *all* the old files so that pk3 is probably good to go now I reckon.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry Kat, updated just 1 more time, commented out rgbGen exactVertex and added rgbGen vertex + alphaGen const.

Hopefully this'll be the final.

bleet!

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-28-2005 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep. That one works ok as well.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.