Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Kazdm2 - Alpha1 - awesome layout, yo

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fun layout - and good vertical flow despite not having any jpads.

One thing I would be concerned about is the railgun. The map is fairly open and the corridors are very wide, and a rail can dominate a map like this - especially in CPM. I think you should either eliminate it, or put it in a more difficult spot to reach.

The GL ledge can only be reached via teleport (or trickjump) which may make it a prime camping spot - particularly if a player grabs the mega and runs thru the jpad. There is a rl and gl up there making it easy for a player to spam the tp exit. Maybe re-think the tp destination? I think putting that rl elsewhere would be a good idea as well.

This map has a lot of potential, it reminds me of hubaeroq3 in a way.. except maybe your connectivity is too good :D You want to be able to control the flow of the map, which is easier to do with somewhat fewer routes. Dont get me wrong, I dont reccomend addind dead ends and shit.. but I think there is such a thing as giving a player too many options. Im sure many would disagree, but thats just MHO :)

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*dling - feedback soon.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-02-2005 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

some quick feedback after running around it a bit:

• flowy! :smirk: really smooth! you never have to speed down.
  • connectivity is fine. the problem is not the connectivity, but the size. more on that later.
  • verticallity is really good. it's quite easy to travel upwards as paths are short and easy to take.
  • size: here's the problem. the map is to small. make it dual-atrium. it's not that much about layout but about the itemplacement. you just can't get two centers for armor/health done right, as you can go anywhere on the map in 10 seconds. currently it's possible to perfectly time both armors while still having enough time to watch out for megahealth.
  • either remove the railgun or add some armor shards! spawnrape-fest

i'd suggest to expand the map, breaking down the walls in the ya,shotgun,tele corner; adding a second atrium there.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-03-2005 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext pretty much covered all of what I saw needed to be done, but I would keep the RG if it was me and add some more shards or get some better/more armors in the map. Didn't really have enough time in-between class/work to get a good idea of what was going on, but once I grabbed the rail it was a pretty one sided match if I could keep the rail away from the bot.

I also only used the RL and RG, stayed on one side of the map (over where the MH Tele placed me) stayed at 90+health and armored up and railed em' across the map when he would cross that opening. (the opening in your sreenie above)

Might have been different with a human playing, but that’s how I played it.

If you where to play the map like I did, like Pext said above you could totally dominate the map…Grab the RG, get some armor, go on a rail frenzy and grab the MH ever so often…

btw, your title stands correct...very fun map. Just see if you can get a balance for the RG. Nice work!

[fyi]The opening I was talking about above is the area on the bottom right hand side of your screen shot above, camp there and it's a short game.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-03-2005 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

all negatives - faster. meant to be positive/constructive :)

mh pit - often annoying, as i tend to miss the mh while gliding over the ledge.
long stairs - :/
slopes - really mess up movement / rjs
@rl plat - feels cut off if you come from above
2nd rl never feel the urge to get there somehow
ya - long stairs + 90deg hallway makes movement very akward there
ra only reachable by tele/rj - bad. ra area in general isnt exactly providing nice fights.
mh at the center - not sure this is a good thing. you could keep players in movement much better.
teledests - adjust these, they make your map seem so small.
scale - feels a bit big somehow - especially vertically (too much isnt good either)
25h@ lg - nice area, dont like the small step there tho.
also you need to adjust your rl ammo to keep players flowing.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-05-2005 01:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

StormShadow wrote:
your connectivity is too good :D You want to be able to control the flow of the map, which is easier to do with somewhat fewer routes. Dont get me wrong, I dont reccomend addind dead ends and shit.. but I think there is such a thing as giving a player too many options. Im sure many would disagree, but thats just MHO :)

I agree with this. (And yeah, it's kind of subjective and tough to quantify.) I just sort of felt like I could go *anywhere* in the map...just pick a direction. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not to my tastes.

I got into a bit of a loop where I was going RG, MH, YA, RL, YA, rinse, repeat, and it seemed like I was pretty much just running up stairs and jumping off ledges over and over. Don't get me wrong--the layout isn't horrible or anything--the flow is quite good, but I'd really like to see it a bit more focused and limited. I think you would benefit by breaking up the space a little differently too. Right now it's a bunch of boxes connected by boxes (and yeah, I realize that's the whole idea of an alpha :)) but it wouldn't hurt to think about throwing in a few columns or room dividers of some kind here or there--something you have to move around/hide behind, rather than just running through the middle of most parts of the map.

Or, yeah, if you're going to leave it with the sort of feel it has now, Pext's suggestion to expand it might work...and it might even make it a better 2v2, dunno.

I think shrinking the halls a bit might help the RG domination as well.

megaman wrote:
ra only reachable by tele/rj
I just went back into the map and noclipped around looking for an RA, thinking I was senile...I assume you're talking about the one YA? :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.