Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Bot coding?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Bot coding?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was wondering what all there is involved in creating a custom bot. I searched while I could while q3w was down and got flodded with the same BS. I'm not greatly concerned with the model/looks of the bot, I just want to create a totaly working/chating/fragging bot that I can use for a custom level or two of mine.

Tia.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what was the same bs? e.g. have you had a look at these:

bots 101

botstudio

bot designer 1.3

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-09-2005 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
what was the same bs? e.g. have you had a look at these:

bots 101

botstudio

bot designer 1.3

Same BS = the programs that you can use to create your bot, by checking "OMG UBBER RAIL SKILZZZ" and all that good stuff. I'll check the links though, thx.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kaziganthe wrote:
Basically each bot has a set of txt files that control what it says, what it likes, etc. (under /botfiles in pak0)

I believe you just edit them to your liking, rename them (ie, borke.blah), and pack them up. There might be other stuff though ;)

I tried it once but got bored and stopped.

so I'll just grab one of the bot files and edit it how I need, place it back into the pak file and that's it? What If I wanted that bot to be shiped out with a map of mine...how would I got about that?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-11-2005 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if you want to ship it out, just make sure the filenames aren't clashing and that you've got all nessissary models/sounds/images etc. included in the .pk3

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I got a bot running around atm I made from scratch...with help from the tuts above of course, and was about to let you all check it out. Before I do I would like to "attempt" to create a custom skin/model for it.

I've checked the sticky, went to poly count and was flooded by tools. What do you guys recommend I get to finish this out?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ive actually made a bot using botstudio, and was very happy with it. In fact, it plays much better than ANY q3 bot (imho of course). I also distributed it with a map, but I made it a seperate pk3 file so if people didnt want it, they could delete it without deleting or messing with the map.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.