Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Big question here but I know you folks can handle it!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Big question here but I know you folks can handle it!

It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 03-07-2005 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello,

Though I do have some experience with mapping, modding existing bots, modding game physics(gravity, speed, time, ect...) It has been a while since I have messed with Q3A so if you could point me to good tut that is basically designed to take a beginner and walk them through to being very proficient at creating and modifying bot/player models, weapons, ammo, power ups and their effects I would be very grateful!

I got the Q3A_TA_GameSource_132 and already understand a small amount of what the various codeings are affecting just from looking at it. So I know I can learn and understand this stuff.

I am learning C/C++ but I'm not sure if that is really going to be needed if I find a good tut.

Here is a list of some of the kinds of things I would like to do:

A. Make a totally new custom bot/player model.

Reskin some existing bots with photographs or digital headshots of some friends and family. You know, like those models of Carmack and Cash in the model select of Q3A.

B. Change the damage, damage radius, RoF, speed of projectiles, visual effects and other effect values of some weapons.

Make it so some weapons can use more than one type of ammo.

Create different types of damage some ammo causes(Paralyze, Fire, Slowness, Reverse Regen, ect...).

Adjust damage caused per radius with varying damages according to distance from detonation point. For example: At 50 radius 100 damage, at 100 radius 50 damage, at 150 radius 25 damage, as well as a set an amount of damage to all bots/players visible to ammo detonation point. (With walls taken into consideration as protection from some or all damage).
But I want to make sure that bots/players that are in lets say 100 radius only receive damage for 100 radius, not damage for 100 radius and damage for 150 radius since they are within both 100 and 150 radius of the blast.

Adjust the amount of damage and speed of travel per projectile.

Make a projectile "Sticky" or "Magnetic"

Adjust weather a projectile that is "Sticky" or "Magnetic" can stick to only environment or also to bots/players.

Adjust weather "Sticky" or "Magnetic" ammo is visible or cloaked and audible or silent.

Adjust weather "Sticky" or "Magnetic" ammo detonates based on prox, time, remote control or any combination of the three.

Adjust weather "Sticky" or "Magnetic" ammo has a slow arched projection path like the Q3TA prox launcher to a fast straight projection path like the rail.

Adjust the number of projectiles released per pull of the trigger and weather the multiple projectiles come out all at once or one after another.

Modify current or create new visual effects for some weapons and ammo.

C. Modifying current or creating new power ups and visual effects of power ups.

I have GtkRadiant1.4.0 / Milkshape3D 1.7.4 / EasyGen / Photoshop CS / and WinZip. Are there any other things like a fast compiler or something better for creating and editing than what I already have?

Anyway, no need to go into a long explanation for each item on the list. I realize this is a load of questions all rolled into one. If someone could just point me to a good tutorial(s) that will teach me from a beginners stance how to do each of the objectives I listed that would be great. I have gotten a lot of excellent help here at Q3W in the past so if you just really know your stuff and want to tell me directly how to do any of these things that would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks to any who respond.

PostPosted: 03-07-2005 06:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oops! I just noticed AEon's sticky. I will check it out.
Man it really has been a while since I have been here! Forgot to check stickys and search forums before posting.
Oh well. If you still want to offer info go for it! :icon14:

Thanks!

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-08-2005 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have a look at this place:
http://www.planetquake.com/code3arena
for the weapon modifications you wanted to make - should be able to use the sticky bombs already in TA for most of them.

you can get get ttk-bandit's debugged source here:
http://www.q3devel.6x.to
but if not, you can find him here:
http://www.freedevs.net

PostPosted: 03-08-2005 08:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, Got Q3Devil, but before I move on these are some of the original settings for the plasma gun in the g_missile.c:

bolt->nextthink = level.time + 10000;
bolt->damage = 20;
bolt->splashDamage = 15;
bolt->splashRadius = 20;

Now if I change these settings to this:

bolt->damage = 5;
bolt->splashDamage = 5;
bolt->splashRadius = 20;

The amount of damage each plasma projectile does will be reduced to 5 and the amount of splash damage for each plasma projectile will be reduced to 5 as well and the splash damage radius will remain the same correct?

Now if I change the:

to lets say:

bolt->nextthink = level.time + 50000;

Will it adjust the rate of fire or the speed at wich each plasma projectile travels?
Or is this value not associated with neither RoF nor Speed of travel?

Thanks again.

Never mind. I figured it out. The:

is how long before it explodes or fades out. The:

VectorScale( dir, 2000, bolt->s.pos.trDelta );

is how fast the plasma projectile travles.

Just one question. Will setting the "2000" to lets sat 500 make the projectile travel faster or slower?

Now I just need to find where to adjust thr RoF.

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-08-2005 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
a fast compiler or something better

For creating map, yup yup

Compiler
Compiler Front-End for the above

PostPosted: 03-09-2005 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the links to the fast compilers.

I got the Q3A 1.32 source code and Q3Devil

I have been able to create a new combo mine/grenade launcher that is based on the original Q3A grenade launcher. It fires sticky mines/grenades that aren't affected by gravity and can be timed or switch to remote detonate.

I have also been able to make quite a few changes to RoF, Damage, Damage Radius, Travel Velosity, And amount of time before a projectile explodes or fades out if it dosen't hit something first.

I know it's small stuff but hey I'm gettin' it :icon14: .

I'm still haveing some trouble getting that various damage at various radius thing down right.

I have an idea that if I added some lines of splash radius and splash damage it will come close to what I want, for example:

bolt->damage = 100;
bolt->splashDamage = 75;
bolt->splashRadius = 100;
(Added lines> bolt->splashDamage = 50;
bolt->splashRadius = 150;
bolt->splashDamage = 25;
bolt->splashRadius = 200; <end added lines)

But what I am worried about is that by doing this the players/bots that are within the 100 radius will receive 75+50+25=150 damage because they are within the 100, 150 and 200 radius rings. Just like the players/bots that are in the 150 radius will receive 50+25=75 damage because they are within the 150 and 200 radius rings. So only those in the 200 radius ring will receive the proper damage, 25 damage at 200 radius.

Any ideas or tips on this one?

Anyway here is a new one. I am haveing a problem with Milkshape. I can open it and start makeing base cubes for heads and torso and such but if I choose to import or open something from the menu it just closes Milkshape out!
I would like to import a few bots from Q3A and use Milkshape to change their structure just a little and make some new player models/bots out of them. I know how to write the AI for the new bots if I could just make the model first!

Is this a well known bug in Milkshape and if so what is the fix? Or could someone recomend a better program for building new and editing existing bots.

Thanks.

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:

bolt->damage = 100;
bolt->splashDamage = 75;
bolt->splashRadius = 100;
(Added lines> bolt->splashDamage = 50;
bolt->splashRadius = 150;
bolt->splashDamage = 25;
bolt->splashRadius = 200; <end added lines)

When multiple entries are used, the values that get taken are the last ones so it's like writing:

bolt->damage = 100;
bolt->splashDamage = 25;
bolt->splashRadius = 200;

The lines above them would have no effect.

Also radius damage is calculated by how far you are away from the middle of the explosion anyway, although with a smaller difference than what you want, I'd imagine.

The actual function is in g_combat.c called G_RadiusDamage

-An eyeful a day is bloody fantastic!-

PostPosted: 03-09-2005 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok I just read my g_combat/g_radius and it looks like the best I'm going to be able to do is set a damage amount a splash damage amount and radius unless I get way farther in my C/C++ tutoral real fast and become a real coder.

Isn't there something about a vis_damage or damage_visible? Where anyone visible to the ammo point of impact takes a set amount of damage?

I'm gonna' go look that one up. Maybe I could set a Damage, Splash Damage and ...uh.....vis_whatever damage.

Untill then if anyone has a code or is a proficient coder for Q3A and knows how to code in these different areas of damage from the point of ammo impact then let me know Thank you please! :icon25:

Like I sad before I would like a radius from the point of ammo impact (basicly a splash damage radius) of
150 points for 1 to 10 radius
75 points for 11 to 100 radius
50 points from 101 to 150 radius
25 points from 151 to 200 radius
And if possible 5 points for 201 radius on out to anyone visible to the point of ammo impact.
With walls taken into account as protection from some or all damage.
I want these setting for a mod of the BFG.

Thanks again!

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 01:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
Ok I just read my g_combat/g_radius and it looks like the best I'm going to be able to do is set a damage amount a splash damage amount and radius unless I get way farther in my C/C++ tutoral real fast and become a real coder.

Isn't there something about a vis_damage or damage_visible? Where anyone visible to the ammo point of impact takes a set amount of damage?

I'm gonna' go look that one up. Maybe I could set a Damage, Splash Damage and ...uh.....vis_whatever damage.

Untill then if anyone has a code or is a proficient coder for Q3A and knows how to code in these different areas of damage from the point of ammo impact then let me know Thank you please! :icon25:

Like I sad before I would like a radius from the point of ammo impact (basicly a splash damage radius) of
150 points for 1 to 10 radius
75 points for 11 to 100 radius
50 points from 101 to 150 radius
25 points from 151 to 200 radius
And if possible 5 points for 201 radius on out to anyone visible to the point of ammo impact.
With walls taken into account as protection from some or all damage.
I want these setting for a mod of the BFG.

Thanks again!

this is the line that you want to be editing:

Code:
points = damage * ( 1.0 - dist / radius );

maybe changing it to

Code:
if(dist <= 10)
       points = 150;
else if(dist <=100)
       points = 75;
else etc etc.

PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good idea corncobman. I'll give that a try and let you folks know the results.

Thanks!

btw cocks
btw cocks
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

welcome to LEM!

wow your signature is annoying

Gomu Gomu no.....
Gomu Gomu no.....
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW the candamage function gets called in g_radiusdamage and it determines whether or not the damage is applied, eg if there is a wall in between.

PostPosted: 03-10-2005 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome rgoer!

Yea I know it actually annoys me too, being all gigantic down there and all, but I just built my new system and I am kind of proud of it compared to my old AMD1800+ / 512MB DDR266MHz / Gforce4MX440 64MB clunker.

Heh, but then again when I built it I was proud of it too.

Trust me, I won't leave that as my sig for long. I'll be changing it just as soon as I can come up with something clever and at least mildly amusing to say.

Speaking of.......there is that better?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.