Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Using q3map_fur for grass?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Using q3map_fur for grass?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 05:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Has anybody actually tried using q3map2's fur shader to make grass and succeeded?

I've read the shader manual but sadly that section is not yet complete :icon23:

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If i'm not mistaken someone made a ctf map a while aho that used a fur shader as grass, although the map when like 10 FPS, it looked kick ass, I forget the map name however. :icon32:

The map has all these crazy slides, loop -de -loops, that ran through the whole map, if anyone knows the map i'm talking about whats the name of it! :icon25:

Edit: I think the maps name was "resumilctf1" or something along those lines. Either that or I could be totally wrong.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 07:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry about the shader manual. I've been working on the other sections.

Here's the shader and screenshot taken from ydnar's fur test map. You should be able to figure the rest out.

Code:
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
// base texture
// ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

textures/fur/pink_base
{
   q3map_cloneshader textures/fur/pink_fur

{
      map $lightmap
   }
   {
      map textures/fur/pink_base.tga
      blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
   }
}

// fur texture

textures/fur/pink_fur
{
   q3map_lightimage textures/fur/pink_fur.q3map.tga

q3map_notjunc
   q3map_nonplanar
   q3map_bounce 0.0
   q3map_shadeangle 120

// format: q3map_fur <layers> <offset> <fade>
   q3map_fur 8 1.25 0.1

surfaceparm trans
   surfaceparm pointlight
   surfaceparm alphashadow
   surfaceparm nonsolid
   surfaceparm noimpact

// cull none
   nomipmaps

{
      map textures/fur/pink_fur.tga
      //alphaFunc GE128
      blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
      rgbGen vertex
   }
}

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made some test maps using 1 or 2 layers of fur for Enemy Territory, to be mixed with the q3map_foliage models. It looked OK, but was an FPS killer in the end.

I used alphaFunc, and not blendFunc for best performance.

I imagine with q3map_alphaMod terrain, you could have q3map_fur on top of that, or at least q3map_cloneShader to push a single layer of "grass" above it with q3map_tcMod scale.

y

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.