Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Torque Engine

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol

that's crazy you bring that up, being as I just bought a book on that engine, a book that teaches you the basic skills in order to create your own 3-D world.

Not Like im trying to do that or anything, (I'm having a hella time getting a bot to run around) but it also talked about mapping, modeling etc..........

weird to me anyway.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I downloaded the demo a couple weeks ago and screwed around with the map editor. pretty cool and easy to use :D Definately an engine worth checking out for amateur game developers.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

why not try irrlicht? it can do most of the stuff Torque can do and its free even. and open source :o

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 02:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hm... the screens were not so impressive. mostly to poor models and colouring though.
the only shot that contained some brushwork was not that great either - might be because of an lacking mapper on their side.

however: the sunset shot is really nice.

ps: i'm considering to make an rpg fighting system for like 4 years allready. but i fear i'm to lazy for coding. i allways feel as i'm to slow programming the actual bunch of ideas i have.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 03:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

learning how to do all the coding will take a few years my friend. It's not like you can learn it in 2 weeks.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

actually the coding part is what turns me away from it. implementing the game mechanics could be fun but i dont have the slightest spark of interrest for coding 3d stuff. seems like boring work to me.

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Me and a couple of friends have toyed with the idea of making a small indie game using this engine.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cool. what kind of game is it going to be?

PostPosted: 03-12-2005 02:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We'd start out with a MP FPS game along the lines of BF1942, but with more of a cartoony theme. It's supposed to be super simple and easy to learn.

Then, if that goes well, I have a story ready for a 3rd person coop adventure beat em/shoot em up game set in the same world.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 02:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a license. Its actually come a long way since back in the day. I would say its well worth checking it out.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you are trying get a development deal help a company like EA, Valve or id software like http://www.desertcombat.com/ Trauma Studios did and you could get purchased and work on BF2 which is based on the original DC Mod, this Mod along with Counter Strike has been the two biggest contributors to the Modding / Gaming community and these teams have achieved the goal of going pro. I don’t know if this helps I am a pro, and I am already working on something for the BF2 engine just for fun in my spare time, I don’t really care if it makes money, it's more about doing something that I know will not get funding through any channels but I would like to make.

All of the time you spend is all good if you would like to be in games business I believe you learn more than in the schools. because overcoming development problems, attempting a public release with out the help of experts really cuts to the cream of the crop. No amount of mommy and daddies money will buy the perseverance to overcome the great challenges.

Hope this helps, I am heading into my 17th year being a pro, and I learned it all the hard way. Maybe I am bitter about this? :-)

-Vex

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed - The lips acquire stains - The stains become a warning - It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. -- Mentat prayer from Dune

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.