Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Getting a Q3A bot into an editor? And What editor?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Getting a Q3A bot into an editor? And What editor?

It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 03-09-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, I have looked and just can't find an editor that supports importing Q3A bots and then will let me change them just a bit and then put them back into Q3A as a bot/player model.
I keep finding links that look promiseing but they just lead to a web site that is no longer working or the info about where the link will take you is bogus.

Ok here is what I want to do. I took a digital pic of myself and turned it into a .tga map for a head skin. But when I pack it up and apply it to any of the Q3A bots .md3 or.skin files it just dosen't look right because none of the bots head frames fit my head skin just right. So I would like to find a bot editor that will let me import the Q3A bot head frames .md3 and or .SKIN files into it and make some minor adjustments to the actuall frame that the skin will be applied to so one of them will fit well with the head skin I made and then pack it up as one of the new player models/bots for my first mod.

I have Miklshape3D 1.7.4, but it shuts down on me if I try to click the import, load or open option in the file menu. So I went and got gmax and though it seems to be a great tool it can't read or open the .md3 or .SKIN files from Q3A and I have read the tut that came with it and there is nothing about how to put a bot/player model into Q3A once I have created one. I have searched here at Q3W, planetquake, google, code3arena, and several other places and have found nothing of any real use.

Anyone know where to find exactly what I need to get this done?

Thanks.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PostPosted: 03-10-2005 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From above
Quote:
I have Miklshape3D 1.7.4, but it shuts down on me if I try to click the import, load or open option in the file menu. So I went and got gmax and though it seems to be a great tool it can't read or open the .md3 or .SKIN files from Q3A and I have read the tut that came with it and there is nothing about how to put a bot/player model into Q3A once I have created one.

Thanks for the link though Lenard. I'm glad someone is trying to help.

I do have an update though.

I got the Quake III MD3 Importer for gmax by Chris Cookson, but it dosen't work!
I also got the exporter for gmax by Chris Cookson and it works just fine.
I put the importer and the exporter in the gmax plugins file like I am supposed to.
Now gmax will export just fine. I tested it by createing a simple sphere and exported it to a Q3A models file I have on my desktop and it placed the sphere.md3 in that file just fime.

But when I go to "import" in gmax and select the head.md3 or any other .md3 that I want to import it tells me "No appropriate import module found" and then "improper file format".

So now what do I do? Find another .md3 importer for gmax? If so then can anyone point me to one that works?

Thanks.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 07:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, i guess I just skimmed it. I use Lightwave with a converter. I think there is a free version just like gmax. You could try that. IMO lightwave is 1000 times better than gmax but its all a matter of preference.

PostPosted: 03-11-2005 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Lenard, could you post a link to the DL site with the lightwave you are useing?
I have looked for it and there are about a million programs called lightwave. I checked through about 75 of them and of the ones that seem to be model editors I couldnt find the one that supports .md3 import and modification and then export and conversion back to .md3.

Once again if anyone can help what I am whanting to do is this:

I took a digital pic of myself and some friends in my LAN party and I want to apply our digital pics as skin to the heads of some of the existing bots.

What I do is I copy and open a bot head.tga and paste the digital pic I took over the head skin and blend the pic in. Then I place the .tga into a new bot/model folder with the other .md3, .skin, animation and any other files needed and then make the needed changes so Q3A will recognise and display the new bot/model .
Pack it up and put it into the pak0.pk3.

Now I have a new bot/model to use, but because of the shape of the head .md3 the skins made from the pics don't quite fit or look right.
I have tried streching and pulling around on the skins but you can't put the skin of a person with a round looking face on a square head frame like sarge but if the person has hair you cant put the skin on the round xaero head frame because the hair just looks flat like instead of haveing hair the bot/model has weird looking skin on top of their head.

So I would like to import a copy of like the xaero head frame into an editor and adjust the head frame so that the hair portion of the pic fits well and is raised to look like hair.

I am trying to learn C/C++ as well as mod some weapons, ammo, armor, itens, bots and physics and it is one heck of a load to handle.

I just really want to get this project finished so the gamers out there can see and try it and give me some feedback. As well as for those in my LAN parties enjoyment.

So any good help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-12-2005 11:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?q2pm ... d3Load.zip

That's the .md3 impoter/exporter but I can't find the game editing version of Lightwave. http://www.newtek.com is the developer of lightwave but I can't seem to find the free game development version of lightwave anywhere on their site. I may have been dreaming. There is, however, a very detailed tut on importing and UV mapping ut models.

Look here for importing into gmax:

http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?q2pm ... ugs_b6.zip
(^is in the sticky BTW)
http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/t ... ol_cm.html

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.