Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        brkdm1 - preAlpha (paint) o_0

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: brkdm1 - preAlpha (paint) o_0

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Getting sick and damn tired of working on an alpha for a few weeks only to be told to start over. Either I don't have what it takes for this stuff or I'm just lacking the knowlagde of what goes into making a flowing/fun/fraggin map............so here is an idea for yet another map that will probably never be finished. :icon30:

[lvlshot]http://www.geocities.com/hi2uten4/preAlpha.JPG[/lvlshot]

edit: I'm going to add more to the 3rd floor, just not to sure where yet, most of the areas that have blue and the brown color..the second floor will be open to the lower to make it more open. (something all my levels have lacked)...

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 01:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

leet paint skills! :icon26:

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon19:

btw, the 2 little areas leading to the red area from blue and brown will be Jump Pads...not just hallways ;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 04:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm confused...

Who told you to start over on what?

It's relatively unusual, in my experience anyway, that a map is completely unsalvagable...and when that's the case, it's usually some really odd idea that just didn't work.

I haven't been following the community as closely as I used to, so forgive my ignorance...

(link to previous alpha maybe? I'm curious...)

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh. Now I remember that thread.

I never actually downloaded the map because of the notex. (If you're making an alpha, just select all and texture with, like, concrete or something, and then quickly go through and add a second texture for the floors, and texture any skybrushes with sky. That's really all you need to do for an alpha; it only takes a few minutes and looks a lot better than notex. :)

Is this layout a variation/remake on the other one? It looks like it might be, but I can't really tell.

Why not just take the other map and work from there? Eliminate the long travel areas that Pext pointed out (biggest problem), add a room or two here and there, and play with the connectivity? I think Pext's comment of "do the map again" was a poor choice of words. You can make the recommended changes on the map you have without starting over from scratch...

I know with me, it's almost always quicker to make beneficial changes to an existing alpha than to start entirely over. Your milage may vary.

On the other hand, if you *want* to do something entirely different, go for it (and the layout above looks okay to me--although the hallways look quite narrow in relation to the rooms...dunno if everything's to scale and how big the whole is...the trick is to really get your rooms close together but still have adequate vis blocking going on--easier said than done).

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-10-2005 05:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I actually have been trying to get something going on the map you just tested...not much changing but I think I may get back on that one.

The above paint drawing was done today before work, had some extra ideas on a map Pext tested back at raw-one, but as always the further I got into the project the worse it was getting. It also is anything but to scale, a few extra ideas is all.

btw, I didn't know about the quick change of textures everyone let me know of real fast while testing it...I'll keep it in mind next alpha.

Thanks for the comments, maybe that map isn't a lost cause after all. :icon26:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 12:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw wrote:
I think Pext's comment of "do the map again" was a poor choice of words

true :( ... I never thought of the demotivation this could cause. sometimes it's better and more satisfying to work things out rather than perfecting them. a thing i should possibly do...

you could take a look at your old map again and keep the areas you liked - personally i found the area in the corner of the central room to be really interresting. after chosing them delete the connections between them and rearrange them in a more compact way, maybe moving them closer or rotating them. then think of a few new cool situations and add them where you feel they might match.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
sometimes it's better and more satisfying to work things out rather than perfecting them. a thing i should possibly do...

Heh. Don't stress. Few people strive for perfection; it's not like it's a bad thing. :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 08:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

on this new layout:

- seems very room corridor room
- large horizontal spaces?
- 2levels arent enough and your 3rd level isnt covring much space
- most rooms are just 1 level
- long lines of sight?
- long stairs from the proportions of them
- are these holes in the bottom middle room? or 2nd level above 1st level, just not shown?

The Borked One
The Borked One
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

1 big problem down...many to go :)

Before:
[lvlshot]http://www.geocities.com/hi2uten4/before.JPG[/lvlshot]

After:
[lvlshot]http://www.geocities.com/hi2uten4/after.JPG[/lvlshot]

I'm still trying to find a few more ways in and out in that section I have changed...that will come to me later I'm guessing. :icon32:

[edit]Please don't flame me b/c of my horrible brushwork. :drool:

Approaching the singularity
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks very much room-corridor-room. Try to get the rooms to "blend" together without all those little corridors between them instead. And try not to make all of them rectangular.

It doesn't look very exciting, to be honest.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 03-11-2005 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grudge: Rather early to comment on the gameplay before you have seen it in 3d even?
Bork: Keep working on it and release an alpha soon, then you can get some proper feedback.

PostPosted: 03-12-2005 01:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was more of a general comment. There are thousands of room-corridor-room maps out there, I'm just saying that people should try to think a little more "outside the box".

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.