Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Semi-visible patches

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Semi-visible patches

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-20-2015 10:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is a bug in the map: some patches lose their visibility from some points of view - see screenshots.

An ordinary view in GTKRadiant

Here is a picture when I select such a patch and then select other of them (Shift+A)

A normal view in the game

An abnormal view in the game - objects disappear

These objects begin with (for example):
// entity 233
{
"type" "patchCapped"
"origin" "784 224 608"
"model" "func_static_106"
"name" "func_static_106"
"classname" "func_static"
// brush 0

What's wrong and how to fix them?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 07-20-2015 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shader most likely single sided!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-20-2015 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dont understand what youre trying to do in the screenshot, looks weird!
Anyway...
What i know is that Patches just can be viewed from 1 side. If its a shader on a brush try "cull none"

EDIT: If you want to do those 3 overlapping bevels try this way:
-Use the bevel shape as a template and cut the shape out of a single brush.
-Texture all sides of the new bevel shaped brush with clip-texture
-Add your texture to one side of the clipped bevel shaped brush and make sure the you have "cull none" written in the shader file of the texture
I hope this will work for you

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-20-2015 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Assuming this isn't a video card issue, just invert the caps.
Slightly off topic, but relevant to your screen shots, don't use inverted endcaps to cap your arches. Always use inverted bevelcaps.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 07-20-2015 11:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In fact the problem is that I can't select these patches. I don't see them in editor (the 1st screenshot), though I know that they are there. I can select them only in total set: when I select a visible patch and then press "Shift+A". When I try to select such an invisible patch, other brushes (beneath it) get selected.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 07-21-2015 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
just invert the caps.

This. You have a mess of patches there and hard to tell what's going on, but from what I can see, it looks like you have patches which are facing the wrong way. Patches are one sided, you have the visible side facing away from you so what you are looking at is the other invisible side.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.