Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Performance Problems WolfCam-GOOD / Q3A-BAD :(

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Performance Problems WolfCam-GOOD / Q3A-BAD :(

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-15-2015 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...Quake 3 Arena
Doh.. :cry:
Im working on this Map for 2 weeks or so and had no performace problems (in WolfCam). I just wanted to brush out the shape and trims and start with the detailing. But today i found my good ol´Q3A CD that was lost since the movement to my new home and gave it a try with a fresh Q3A installation...first i was soo Happy that i found the CD -then i loaded the map and was shocked by the bad-performance. :alert: :puke: :puke: Its unplayable on my Pc in Q3A but when i load the same pk3 in wolfcam the performace is good.

Download (not optimized in any way):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1bmrusjfbt9lu ... y.pk3?dl=0

Its just ALPHA and i didnt any detail-brushing or other performance related stuff.
I quick packed the stuff up to an *.pk3 for testing, its a little bit chaos in the pk3´s /texture folder. (Used a mappacker due the custom textures 4 quick packing)
What can i do the get more FPS out of that in Q3?
Im scared again, hehe... :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Set com_maxfps to 125 in q3 :D :D

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 04:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you try to enable SMP? (/r_smp 1 in console)
Your map has full VIS?
Do you know how to use detail and strucural brushes (just asking)?
Do you use caulk for non-visible faces?
Rooms are separated well, and influence the VIS with hint?
Did you try playing with _blocksize ? (increasing or decreasing)
Did you use models?

I saw some missing textures, uncorrect brushes at the "wall terrain", and a lava without function.

What is your computers spec?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 05:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
Set com_maxfps to 125 in q3 :D :D

this!
Also: disable vsync!

Map works fine on my rig. No fps drops anywhere.
Didn't like the map though - way too cramped and full of nooks and crannies for no real reason.
Your first two attempts were much better, imho.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems its not doable for me to fit scale anyway... its always to big or to small, its so annoying! :puke:
So lets kick No.3 to the thrash too.
Maybe next time... :olo: :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Strange, testet again and had no problems... Maybe just the CPU turned too hot last time. :/
@m4xpower: You really think the last 2 maps were better? It would be nice if some people would give the layout a try too. If it really sucks that hard then theres no need for me to finish it and i will start a new one.
Oohohoh.. my Brain hurts :tear:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Over the past five years i've tested and played approximately 1000 maps. Went through the lvlworld and worldspawn database and played about 6k matches in q3 and ql combined. So i can honestly say: i've seen things :)... the good and the bad.
If you need a 2nd pair of eyes or someone to test a map with, just let me know... even your current map ;)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-16-2015 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yay Thx, 2 pairs of eyes are better then just 1!
It would help me alot if i know what sucks on this map and if theres sections that are ok.
At the moment mapping feels to me like driving a bike with closed eyes. :/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.