Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        polycount

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: polycount

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 05-03-2006 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

apparently they ditched the whole player models thing in favor of a lazy forum portal.

:\

I think it's time for someone (me?) to create a spiritual successor thats q3/q4 focused

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-03-2006 05:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Polycount (the site not forums) went right down hill as soon as id software made it retardedly hard to use custom models in games... Quake 3 sucked ass for it, and Quake 4 is even harder...

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 05-03-2006 09:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
custom models in games...

_their_ games :)
Problem with polycount was that it was to focused around iD :)

Demongay
Demongay
PostPosted: 05-03-2006 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it had a few ut2k4 and hl models tossed in, but the queue got too big because the "reviewers" didn't have those games. The queue had models all the way back to 2002, even

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-16-2006 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
Polycount (the site not forums) went right down hill as soon as id software made it retardedly hard to use custom models in games... Quake 3 sucked ass for it, and Quake 4 is even harder...

Do you for a minute think that id deliberately make it difficult to add models to their games? ( not that i'm saying it _is_ difficult ) What about these games exactly makes it so difficult to add models?

Making it difficult for their own development staff to add anything to the game would just be retarded, mod teams aren't the only people making assets you know.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-16-2006 09:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

digibob wrote:
...Making it difficult for their own development staff to add anything to the game would just be retarded, mod teams aren't the only people making assets you know.
Be expecting a barrage of 'squeaky gates' when QW is released ;)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 02:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They made it harder to stop cheaters, pretty much.

But it killed off the custom skin feeling that Quake 2 had didn't it?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 03:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

Quake3 had tons of cool custom models and was the driving force behind Polycount until UT2003/04 came. And it isn´t that hard to use models also.

What´s so hard about Quake4 custom modelling is the need to produce those high-detail models for the normal maps.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 06:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:

I can only assume you mean the fact that stuff is pure checked against the server. Would you prefer that people could use fullbright skins and suchlike?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brightskins are one thing, spiked models are another ;)

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 07:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

digibob wrote:
o'dium wrote:

I can only assume you mean the fact that stuff is pure checked against the server. Would you prefer that people could use fullbright skins and suchlike?

All I know is i liked fighting as boba fett while another guy was a big smurf.

How many times did that happen in Quake 3? Never :(

I know it had a problem because people cant be trusted, i know you could have bright skins and the like... But damn, i kinda made me upset, i was looking forward to even more crazy models.

diabolical besier hugger in disguise
diabolical besier hugger in disguise
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
How many times did that happen in Quake 3? Never :(

Not boba vs smurf specificaly, but it reminds me of the chickenteam's mappack that came with the S_T_B chicken model, which was being played with sometimes - that rawked.

fyi;

Last edited by corsair on 05-17-2006 08:03 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Q4 models sure are boring...

One of the things I really liked about Q3A vs. UT at the time were the totally superior and far more diverse player models. In that respect Q4 remindes me of the "bad old" UT days.

Models like Klesk or Crash ;) would be neet in Q4.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-17-2006 08:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Crash with updated Doom 3 style armor? Yes please.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.