Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        pext3dm1: foursome // quakers gone wild - alpha2

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: pext3dm1: foursome // quakers gone wild - alpha2

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-13-2005 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

* U P D A T E * (05/03/30)

New Version available:

With this version i removed the prior mh and ya rooms in exchange for a brandnew, bouncy mh/ga room. I also reworked the itemplacement to something less random.

please add comments to everything now. i'm especially interrested in your ideas about itemplacement now ...

New:pext3dm1.zip
Old:pext3dm1-v1.zip

the map is my upcoming entry to the cpma 2on2 competition.
as i'm currently more interrested in feedback about the layout,
itemplacement is mostly random for except armor, mega and
weapons.
some people will recognize one of the ideas of my 2003/2004
alpha. i just found it nice and as i'm not yet certain wether it will
ever reach a releasable state as a standalone map i decided to use
it for the current project after scrapping a buch of other ideas. i
made a few tweakings to the concept though and started over in
radiant from scratch.

fell free to add any comments you like - criticism is welcome.

Last edited by Pext on 03-29-2005 11:55 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 05:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did I ever do some tricks on this thing? :p

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Honestly I think its a bit large for 2v2. I counted 5 or so atriums (atria?) most of which were pretty complex. I think the map is big enough that it doesnt force the action enough - a winning team can just go into a defensive shell pretty effectively and leave the other team pushing too hard.

But then again, whenever you play any map for the first time, it seems larger than it actually is. The more you learn a map the smaller it gets, so maybe its just a matter of perspective.

I know you said item placement was temporary, but you may not want to include the rail. This map is pretty big and open and the RG would be a very powerful weapon.

On the good side, the map is fun to run around in. The dimensions and layout are the appropriate size - i never feel too cramped or left out in the open. Connectivity is great as well, there are tons of routes leaving the player with a lot of options. I just think you need to remove one or two areas to make the map the appropriate size. This level has a great deal of potential imo.

Oh, and take everything I said with a grain of salt - im certainly no CPM guru - I just calls em like i sees em'!

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-14-2005 08:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This map is vaguely familiar...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-15-2005 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback so far.

sumatra suggested the addition of a battleshield, which i think is an awesome idea! I'm going to replace the rg with it.

concerning the size: hm... sumatra mentioned the same thing over at cpma. i think i'll have to rework it a bit.

some more specific questions:

- is the current ra-room a main fighting area - or - does the in/out style i planned for it work?
- is the 45degree jumppad a not-to-use one? is it too open, making the player too vulnerable?
- should i scrap the mh-room/the ya-room/both? as of now i think i'll replace both with a single, more interresting one. currently i feel that esp. the ya room is a bit boring as it feels like more of a lazy solution to connect the loose ends :>
- where should i add the last room (after removing mh/ya area) - around the ya-room's current position or in the mh corner?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 11:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*update*

NOT OK
NOT OK
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 02:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love jumping around in this. Makes me wish I could play cpma... BTW if you jump on the side nearest the wall of the plat next to mh it does not rise. This could be upsetting because that's where I would usually jump. Although, I rarely use plats.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.