Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        a trip through my maps dir. 2008-present

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: a trip through my maps dir. 2008-present

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 09:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so i thought id build my maps dir and take one screen shot from each map. (well the ones that have textures and not white checkers) lots of lost maps etc...

in alphabetical order of map name

ctfnew - still in development

this was for a 20 brush map comp. it sucked and i dumped it lol

ep-fkd01 - also still in development, this is the first map for my ep idea. its slow work lol

ep-fkdship - this was another idea i had for my ent plus map. this was like a living quarters. i used heaps of
curves and a funky shader for wall art

more ent plus doodles

hallway - a ctf map that was quite far along in development. but in the end i just did not enjoy the spaces so i dumped it and started q3dmp11

q3ctfp13 - this thing really is finished. but in the end i decided to not release it due to the fact that fundamentaly the layout and scale did not flow or feel right.

q3ctfp18 - small 2v2-3v3 ctf. had some interesting ideas but in the end i lost focus and moved on

q3ctfp19 - an odd one. heaps of work was done on this. the flag bases are almost 100% patch meshes lol. industrial but it felt too box map like. shelved, may still see the light of day..

q3ctfp20brushmap - 3rd place in the q3w 20 brush map comp. fun working with such a limited amount of brushes. reinforced efficient brush work.

q3ctfp21 - a sketch i was working on, but then abandoned.

q3ctfp22 - was my entry into maverickservers comp. burned me out, lost focus and ended up only liking the geo. ive been working on it more, refining the layout and flow so ive not released it yet. it taught me a lot of lessons. the main one being im not a comp mapper, im too slow lol.

q3ctfp24 - this ones another interesting one. ive borrowed heavily from the mid section of q3ctf1. the bases and "interesting" but this ones in early stages. it got hijacked by ctfnew

q3ctfp3 - this was my first q3 map i released. the construction methods and horrible, but i liked some of the stuff i was doing. i felt more free as i was at the start of my q3 mapping process. ive basically been refining the same theme my whole mapping stint. just cant shake sci-fi :D

q3dmp11 - started off a q2dm1 clone, then i added my madness to the mix. i went too far with brushes, but i still enjoy running around this one.

q3dmp12 - this was a heavily inspired by q3tourney2. it was for a maverick comp which i did not finish. its been shelved for now, but it will be finished one day.

q3dmp14 - vertical, space/alien madness. and an adventure in patterns. i hear its good for instagib :olo:

q3dmp15 - prolly the best map ive ever made. pity the textures were from another game. never assume if someone has used textures in a publicly released map that they are legit. i tried to get in contact with the original author the the map before using em but it was a long dead email account. so i forged ahead. finished it. then found out the bad news :( a map only i get to play... kinda tragic

q3dmp17 - this was gonna be a weird one. sci-fi meets the middle east. lost interest, abandoned

q3dmp20 - layout done. just working on the texture theme.

q3dmp23 - this ones out the door, done and dusted. had fun with this one. but got bored and just released what i had done so far. enjoyed making the big vertical buildings, esp the main outside area

q3dmp4 - i still like the general look, but im still very much a noob here (2nd map) with big ideas lol. but in the end, the layout sucks. there are lots of mistakes through out this one. but i like the scale i was going for. lots of little bits i still think look good. but overall... well im not sure.

q3dmp6 - this was gonna be cel shaded. some cool ideas, but in the end ive shelved it.

q3dmp8 - this is the back of what was gonna be an air ship level. abandoned

q3dmp9 - some good ideas, but still im in my larva form and not mapping very well. more of a learning experience in the end.

scibble - a layout i was playing around with, but its not going anywhere.

temp01 - this is one of those maps. it will get done (been working on it the last few days, its looking shiny) but its being done in private. a d/l link will appear when its done. AEons texture set in full effect :sly:

random eh? :D you can get my released maps from here http://lvlworld.com/#c=m1&d=27%20Aug%20 ... thor&q=fKd

Last edited by fKd on 08-29-2012 09:42 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice collection man. I have always admired your style, it is so distinct and unique :)

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I saw "temp" with the AEcell textures... the latter in more than one map :)... I recognized some of your released ones...

You might like to go the extra mile and add name and release status plus some comments on the map under each picture to make what we are seeing more of a learning experience.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool. Some nice shots, both of the finished and lost ones. I must say, sir, you have considerable creative output.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 08-28-2012 10:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Impressive, most impressive. I have to agree with Aeon. Posting the status and possible download link, or state the reason why it was abandoned would be helpful.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's quite the collection. You should be proud.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm an enormous fan of q3dmp15 and q3dmp23 ... d/l links would be great. =)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

**updated

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 10:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jeez, some of the "not good enough" stuff there is miles better than the best work I've ever put out :(

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 08-29-2012 11:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your comments definitely help better understand what you were up against, what the inspiration was and how things ended up. Here some comments... looking at the many unfinished maps, makes me a bit less apprehensive about my list of unfinished maps.

Quote:
hallway - a ctf map that was quite far along in development. but in the end i just did not enjoy the spaces so i dumped it and started q3dmp11

Looks like this one could be interesting... drop the CTF part and go for DM though :)... reminds me a bit of Solar.

Quote:
q3ctfp19 - an odd one. heaps of work was done on this. the flag bases are almost 100% patch meshes lol. industrial but it felt too box map like. shelved, may still see the light of day..

Dropping this one is probably a good thing. Maps that have a psydo-realistic setting, almost always completely fail in layout... because the "real world" sucks gameflow-wise. Gameplay looks to be totally chaotic, IMO.

Quote:
q3dmp12 - this was a heavily inspired by q3tourney2. it was for a maverick comp which i did not finish. its been shelved for now, but it will be finished one day.

I really love this one... the simple yet very effective idea to use an orangey texture as decorative trim to contrast all the greys works really well. Hope you will get around to finishing this one off. You can "resist" excessive detailing to get it out though :).

Quote:
q3dmp15 - prolly the best map ive ever made. pity the textures were from another game. never assume if someone has used textures in a publicly released map that they are legit. i tried to get in contact with the original author the the map before using em but it was a long dead email account. so i forged ahead. finished it. then found out the bad news :( a map only i get to play... kinda tragic

Very dark-ish map, reminds me of Unreal Tournament-like maps... if the layout is there you may want to consider re-texturing it, some of the eX textures and a few others should provide the textures you need to get it done. If the textures are the same size (old vs. new), no realignment would be required and you should be able to do it in a few days. Would be a pity to not show the map if you think it is one of your best.

Quote:
q3dmp6 - this was gonna be cel shaded. some cool ideas, but in the end ive shelved it.

Interesting elements, some layout (duck and cover) elements seem problematic though, i.e. will probably not work that well in gameflow. Still would be interesting to see the map. Maybe release a beta (or even alpha), to let us take a look, to check if it can be "salvaged".

Quote:
q3dmp8 - this is the back of what was gonna be an air ship level. abandoned

I love the cloth idea... but as with many cool ideas... they do not, yet, make a playable map. So I can understand you dropping it, but keeping it as a concept idea.

Quote:
temp01 - this is one of those maps. it will get done (been working on it the last few days, its looking shiny) but its being done in private. a d/l link will appear when its done. AEon's texture set in full effect :sly:

Back then I even was editing parts of that map. Only to find out, melding into another mapper's vision is not the way to go. I liked playing that map, had many nice ideas... hope you can continue and finish it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-31-2012 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Imageshack seems to block all Asian IP's, I've been in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Cambodia and it's the same everywhere. :(

Oh well, be back home soonish.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-22-2012 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fkd, you have a really nice, "fine-grain" aesthetic to your work. It's all really unique, especially the interior spaces. Don't be afraid to revisit your maps that you put aside either due to boredom or poor planning/execution. Panopticon which I recently released (now on lvl) went through several major changes and in the end turned out better than I'd hoped for and originally antcipated.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-22-2012 08:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cheers red, ive been having a hard time mapping as of late. i'll open gtk and mess around a bit... but then just lose interest. i enjoy the initial build phase, but then the detail work comes along and it just drags. these things seem to work in waves, when the creativity is not there you cant just force it, esp when its just a hobby and there are no deadlines/pressure or anything. ive wanted to do a colab for a while now but i get the feeling ppl are not that into them.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-23-2012 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, then you do it wrong. I had a lot of coop work on my last maps.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-23-2012 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are fucking great at detailing your maps.
And now you're saying it bores you?
Man, I wish I had your talent to think that intuitive and... original.

Don't dump it! Keep at it!

Have you ever thought about contacting the threewave team? Hell, I don't know if anyone of them is still active, but maybe a few would get back on track to do something for Qlive?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 10-23-2012 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
You are fucking great at detailing your maps.
And now you're saying it bores you?

Unfortunately, boredom is not a choice. It's something that happens. Also, as he said, what's the point, really? He's not getting paid for it and q3 is such old tech that it's not exactly the best thing to show off in a demo reel or interview. So there is really no incentive to keep pushing on (except, of course, for one's own love of the medium, for posterity's sake and/or to finish something that was started. The latter reason being my catalyst to finish Panopticon (a map 7 years in the making)).

My advice is to just rest a bit. Give a few months or a year and see if you want to come back and finish your maps off - or not. Doesn't matter either way, but finishing them (or 1 or 2) will lead to great pride and sense of accomplishment. At least for me it did.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-27-2012 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Imageshack seems to block all Asian IP's, I've been in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Cambodia and it's the same everywhere. :(

Oh well, be back home soonish.

probably afraid someone in those places might see some uncensored poontang :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-28-2012 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Actually that's not entirely true. I have lived in Singapore full time for the last 4 plus years. Imageshack is blocking my IPs, but if I sign on with my account (which is always the case when I access the web through my phone), images are shown.
Right now, through my PC at work, I just get the default frog pictures...and I'm too lazy to go register...
I spent all last week in Cambodia, and spend quite a lot of time to and fro to Malaysia, the same holds true there.
Rather than imageshack, the most annoying IP block for me is Maverick Servers. I can only log on through my proxy server at work, the host seems to block SE Asia by default.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-28-2012 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dONKEY wrote:
Rather than imageshack, the most annoying IP block for me is Maverick Servers. I can only log on through my proxy server at work, the host seems to block SE Asia by default.

[23:19:50] <Maverick|MSG> the forums block all ips that have been used for spam
[23:20:00] <Maverick|MSG> and unfortunately his area is heavily laden with them
[23:21:14] <Maverick|MSG> the forums are totally lame though

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-29-2012 05:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah I guessed that was the issue. It was annoying during the last contest.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-19-2012 05:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

amazing style. it's interesting how clean your maps look, but there's so much going on in them. Whenever I think I've finally got my head around mapping for an audience, this community produces something that blows my mind.

10/10

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-21-2012 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cheers mate :D

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-27-2012 10:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never saw this the first time it was posted, wicked stuff fKd, very impressive!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.