Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        How to edit maps from pk files?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: How to edit maps from pk files?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 03-16-2005 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HI everyone!

I'm new here and I have one question. Is it possible to edit in some way Q3 default maps from *.pk files? I only see *.aas and *.bsp files. no *.map files so Radiant can't open it. I'm interested in doing something with pro-q3tourney7 map. If someone have the "source", *.map file, or know where I can download it, please let me know.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There are programs to "de-compile" bsp files, to make them into .map files, but the end result is usually very buggy, and takes some cleaning up to do. Someone else here might be able to name a decompiling program.

It starts. I win. The end!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey voodoo, what's up with the "rep is a cunt" sig? I seem to be seeing it as more and more peoples sigs.

Seems like I remember a bunch of people makeing that their sig a few years back.

Back durring the flame war of 2002.....lol. You know back when knowfury and her minions and rep and his minions were constantly at each others throats...heh!

That stuff was just crazy.

Anyway just curious.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

there are command lines that allow you to decompile bsp files, but you will lose all the curves and your textures will not fit.. ill see if i can dig one up.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
There are programs to "de-compile" bsp files, to make them into .map files, but the end result is usually very buggy, and takes some cleaning up to do. Someone else here might be able to name a decompiling program.

Ummm... How about Q3Map2, the very same program that you're using to compile MAP to BSP?

Quote:
2.5.6 (2003-08-15)

- New: can convert BSP files to MAP files via -convert -format map. Note: not perfect by any means, as certain pieces of data are irretrievably lost, such as func_group entities (including terrain specifics), brush face texturing info, and light/misc_model entities with Q3Map2-generated BSPs

Edit: Download the latest version of Q3Map2 from the link in my signature.

Last edited by obsidian on 03-17-2005 07:51 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Lasery Roboty
Lasery Roboty
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magnus I wear it because I think Rep is a cunt, that's all.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-17-2005 07:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Although, if you're planning on making (another) remake of a Quake3 map, people are probably be less inclined to play it unless you have a substantial amount of differences/improvements.

It's usually better (and easier) to come up with your own layout and work from there. wviperw wrote a good Competitive Design Guide that you should read, though it's written for the CPMA mod, fundamentally, it really applies to all multiplayer games:
http://www.promode.org/maps/guide/

If you're decompiling id Software's maps so that you can get a good understanding of how to map, just be aware that they weren't the "cleanest" mappers since they were constantly under pressure to get things done. Plus, they were the first to use the tools and the community has since expanded greatly on our knowledge of the proper mapping techniques.

For example, looking at the sample maps, their use of hint brushes were placed in places that were somewhat less than optimal. I'm sure they would have done things differently if they knew what we know today.

That said, also check out Q's Sample Map Thread to learn about map optimization:
http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Archives ... 20488.html?

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Magnus wrote:
Hey voodoo, what's up with the "rep is a cunt" sig? I seem to be seeing it as more and more peoples sigs.

Seems like I remember a bunch of people makeing that their sig a few years back.

Back durring the flame war of 2002.....lol. You know back when knowfury and her minions and rep and his minions were constantly at each others throats...heh!

That stuff was just crazy.

Anyway just curious.

... I never made fun of Kn0wFuRy, did I? I can't remember ever not e-Liking her e-Persona.

rep
rep
PostPosted: 03-20-2005 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

voodoochopstiks wrote:
Magnus I wear it because I think Rep is a cunt, that's all.

You 'wear' it because I'm the axis upon which your world spins.

PostPosted: 03-20-2005 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, just checked google and it was eraser, not rep, that was in some kind of flame war with knowfury.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:JTMDis6VqA4J:www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002145-2.html+Magnus3204&hl=en

BTW,the above was the result of my first friggin post ever. Man! What a way to start.

Only the strong will survive!

Sorry about the mixup :icon27: .

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.