Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        q3- doors and teleporters

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: q3- doors and teleporters

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 07:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, 2 questions for you
i have a gate that closes when a player hits a button to prevent access to a room. however i want a person in the room to be able to leave whenever he wants. how would you do this?

basically is there a way to get a trigger_allways to only open a normally open door when its been triggered closed by a button.

i have a player teleporting into a location where i would like him to be pushed up wards but i cant use a jump pad. is there a way to get the misc_teleporter_dest to push the player upwards?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 08:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

didnt think so :( bummer

what do you guys think of question 1?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 09:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thinking outside the box:

Make another exit.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2005 09:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PS

OR search from stuff by skore - he was doing exactly this type of logic with q3 (sry, not at home no links handy...)

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 03:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
PS

OR search from stuff by skore - he was doing exactly this type of logic with q3 (sry, not at home no links handy...)

http://www.skore.de/Q3A_Electronics_skOre.zip

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 04:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you not just spawn the player above an invisible jump pad?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 03-22-2005 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For your room exit, just make a one-way "force feild" out of two patch meshes--one with a glowy non-solid shader of some kind, and the other with playerclip. The player should be able to pass through from the back side.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-24-2005 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pjw - "The player should be able to pass through from the back side."

wouldnt that look like a peson walked through a wall? also wouldnt the person inside of the room be able to look out but the person on the other side wouldnt be able to look in. that could cause camping problems, no?

o'dium - "Can you not just spawn the player above an invisible jump pad?"

i wanted to avoid that, i wanted it to look like you jumped up from a void. but if you didnt do anything you would fall all the way back down. ill just change the idea.

Hex - "make another exit"

not an option at the current time. i guess ill just have to put a teleporter in the room if the link doesnt work.

4 days - thanks for the link ill check it out.

thank you guys for your input, im really glad that quake 3 world is back and running.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 03-29-2005 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

new question

if i connect a trigger_teleporter to 2 misc_teleporter_dest then will it choose the other one if someone is in the way or will it randomly choose one.. if it works at all. im trying to keep from having people telefraging their team mates

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 03-30-2005 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't you just put a trigger brush on the inside of the room so that when you approach the door it triggers the door to open? Perhaps have a double door to exit, like an airlock. As you exit the room, the trigger keeps the outermost door closed as the one opens for you to enter the airlock. Once the door is closed the other door can open to allow you to exit. That way someone can't stand outside the room and wait for you to exit and walk in as the door opens.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-01-2005 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i believe that a normally open door can only be told to close. and a normally closed door can only be told to open. you cant tell it to do both.

for the seccond teleporter question. i have a trigger brush in one room. this is connected to a target relay that then splits to 2 target relay. the 2 target relays split to 4 misc_teleporter_dest that are in another room (you can only have 2 objects for a relay). but i havnt been able to get it to work. i used spawnflag 4 in the relay for it to randomly choose a location(this is the switch that you choose at the top). i think there is also the option of putting the word RANDOM in the text and i guess a value of 1. anyone have any experience with this. this trigger_teleporter will see alot of traffic and i need to split the spawn locations so people done telefrag their own teammates.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.